Ryan's Headphone Review Thread

Soldato
Personally I find the speaker output amazing.

It's decent until you try something that's a little better equipped for it :)

I'm running a Peachtree Nova Pre and power amp setup that really takes it to a different level for speakers.

Unfortunately it's quite well known that they did scrimp on the speaker output in order to make the complete package somewhat affordable. I'm perfectly happy that they did given how spectacular the headphone amp and DAC are :D

If you get the chance to pair it with a set of PM-1's I would definitely recommend it.

Soldato
[ui]ICEMAN;27366686 said:
If you get the chance to pair it with a set of PM-1's I would definitely recommend it.

I'd rather go even more high end pair it with a set of KRK Expose if I am to upgrade my speakers.

My VTX's sound amazing (XLR Balanced) so the Expose should be out of this world, should expect so for the money!

;)

Last edited:
Soldato
Should sound awesome. I've taken a step back from the ultra high end stuff since moving from the UK, I had a pair of Ypsilon SET 100 mono blocks for my speakers before which were stunning but I find for me, I can get 90% of what I'm looking for less than a 50th of that price.

Maybe instead of just trying to get into a contest, you could actually take a perfectly valid opinion of the HA1? That and the HA1 was designed with the PM1 in mind, hence why I suggested it.

Associate
OP
Heya!

Not sure what I'm going to do with this guide. A combination of having less time, lack of interest from the community on here I may just scrap it. If anyone wants to take over it I certainly would consider it. I've got so much to put on here too. I was considering just putting shorter reviews but it would be unfair for people reading. Hmmm decisions!

Soldato
Personally I think separate threads for each review would be better and then use a sticky index thread to tie all reviews from everyone together in one place. That way you could just drop the odd review in whenever you have the time rather than trying to run your own mini-forum :D

Associate
OP
You may ne right. I have however during my write up for the Philips X2 came up with a time saving review that gets all the points out there. I'll see how it goes. Also guess what! Got an original Annie coming from the US. Cost me a frigging lot though! Reunited with my baby :p

Associate
I hope you do continue with your guide Ryan.
I've found it very interesting so far hope but if you change the style/type of review to make it easier for you then I'm not going to complain.
Well done on the Annie's, as rids said, keep hold of them this time! If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have bought them.

Associate
OP
It was a funny thing. I was literally one click away from ordering the LCD2. I've done this so many times. All of a sudden a lair of Annies pops up. It's cheaper + my fav headphone of all time. Sure the LCD2 is more refined but the Annie is special.

I'll put the Philips X2 Review up tomorrow and try to change it to the new layout. Also have the K7XX to add!

Soldato
I hope you carry on with the reviews, well maybe not after your X2 one goes up! ;)

I spent a lot of time reading the thread and given I had only heard sennheiser headphones I put a load of options onto my list of 598 or 598 and ended up with the x2 so maybe you don't get the plaudits you deserve as people like me read but don't comment in this thread!

I do have a question or two around amps - I use my new X2's on my ps4 via a mixamp and on my Mac book pro - I have been blown away with the music i have listened too and now am considering how I listen to it - I use spotify and cd based music is ripped on my NAS in ALAC, I play via sonos setup with a zp80 feeding my amp and quad 21l speakers.

Now, I could just put my headphones into the amp but this is no good if tv in use as it is all via the amp so maybe looking at a DAC / AMP combo taking feed from my sonos zp80!?

Also, would the amp be of any benefit to the mixamp / ps4 setup, where does it go in the chain and does it mean you don't rely on the mixamp as much so you don't hit the hiss??

Last edited:
Associate
Thanx for your reviews, it such a hard decision choosing a set that may be suitable for the user & you've done that in an easy way...This made my decision reading through all the post & the users here helped to buy my K712's !

Soldato
It was a funny thing. I was literally one click away from ordering the LCD2. I've done this so many times. All of a sudden a lair of Annies pops up. It's cheaper + my fav headphone of all time. Sure the LCD2 is more refined but the Annie is special.

I'll put the Philips X2 Review up tomorrow and try to change it to the new layout. Also have the K7XX to add!

please do I've heard stories about people sending X1's for repair and getting X2's back :o

Associate
OP
I finding the new layout easier so reviews will go on as normal. Just simple changes have made it less time consuming. I'll change the existing reviews first then crack on :) cheers for the comments glad its helped some of you :D

Ah man, have not heard the HE500 in a while. If I didn't get the Annie I would probably of snagged them!

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the Oppo PM1. Need to try those badly.

One headphone I'm really enjoying in the Focal spirit classic. They are incredible. Closed phones have always been secondary to me but these have some serious mids and bass. They remind me of a closed Baby LCD2 at times and sometimes a closed HD650 with a more extended bass. I think they are really refined too really can't wait to get that review out.

If anyone has any headphones they don't mind sending out for review then I'm happy to review them! Obviously I'll pay the postage both ways. Seems like something I'd be interested in doing.

Soldato
They already seem to have disappeared from this thread so it's looking like they will be separated.

Should work out nicely with you re-doing Sonny's sticky thread. That way you can index all reviews and then people have the chance to comment on the thread for the actual equipment they have just read the review of.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom