• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Now that Coffeelake has been released. ...well sort of.
Anyone got any news on the next Ryzen. I ask because I am all set to buy a 8700K, except when they actually become available ryzen 2 might be out.

Soldato
Pinnacle Ridge, AKA Zen+ will be available Feb next year (current timescales). It'll be a much faster lithography process (14mn finfet is power efficient, NOT fast. The GloFlo 12nm IS damn quick). Expect it to trade blows on IPC and be close with clocks. Intel will be aware what's coming, hence the coffee lake paper launch, can't have AMD selling well over the holiday period AND having a chip that "wins" on most milesticks early in the new year too.

Permabanned
Pinnacle Ridge, AKA Zen+ will be available Feb next year (current timescales). It'll be a much faster lithography process. Expect it to trade blows on IPC and be close with clocks. Intel will be aware what's coming, hence the coffee lake paper launch, can't have AMD selling well over the holiday period AND having a chip that "wins" on most milesticks early in the new year too.

All aboard the hype train. :p

Soldato
All aboard the hype train. :p
Eh, meanwhile the Intel folks retreat to the last 5% of high ground they have left and scream about how it's the only thing that matters? :D ;)

Ryzen is... within spitting distance of an IPC fight with the right memory. Single core clocks are basically all Intel has left to fight on.
There WILL be IPC improvements, there WILL be clock speed improvements from moving to a far better LP.

Hype train to a point, yup, but... eh, even setting sights really low, it's gotta do well.

Soldato
OP
Hmmm, an 8 core Ryzen with same clocks and IPC as Coffee would be nice. but as others have said "there is always something else" around the corner. Fact is, Coffee lake i7 is now a substantial upgrade for me.

Soldato
Not a fanboy of any brand, just not expecting huge gains for a refresh. :)

It's not just a refresh though. Refresh is the same design on a die shrink.

This is a move on from a completely new architecture and a die shrink and a far better/faster LP. I'm not... particularly fan-boying either. AMD bias, yup, but not rabidly so.

Soldato
OP
Hopefully stock will turn up by then, there are none at the moment! £250 would be a great price too. (Not sure that price is realistic though)
Should be around that.
Just to be clear I do buy thousands of pounds worth of stuff from OCUK every year (for work and stuff). But I travel to the states twice a year too, so on a single big ticket item (new CPU / GPU) makes sense for me to pick it up there. Last time I bought a drysuit thou...

Permabanned
It's not just a refresh though. Refresh is the same design on a die shrink.

This is a move on from a completely new architecture and a die shrink and a far better/faster LP. I'm not... particularly fan-boying either. AMD bias, yup, but not rabidly so.

Im like give 4.5 ghz on my epic cooling and im buying zen+ anything less im jumping back intel.

Soldato
Pinnacle Ridge, AKA Zen+ will be available Feb next year (current timescales). It'll be a much faster lithography process (14mn finfet is power efficient, NOT fast. The GloFlo 12nm IS damn quick). Expect it to trade blows on IPC and be close with clocks. Intel will be aware what's coming, hence the coffee lake paper launch, can't have AMD selling well over the holiday period AND having a chip that "wins" on most milesticks early in the new year too.
Bit optimistic for me but yes, Pinnacle Ridge is due next February and should have improved clock speeds. Hopefully a small IPC bump and infinity fabric improvements too but who knows.

Soldato
Bit optimistic for me but yes, Pinnacle Ridge is due next February and should have improved clock speeds. Hopefully a small IPC bump and infinity fabric improvements too but who knows.

I concur, don't expect a world changing amount of difference in speed. However, the platform will be a lot more mature by then so I would think of it as what Ryzen should have been on release, rather than the next iteration.

Last edited:
Associate

This is what I'm expecting too, but the net effect should be noticeable.

Soldato
I concur, don't expect a word of difference in speed. However, the platform will be a lot more mature by then so I would think of it as what Ryzen should have been on release, rather than the next iteration.
Indeed. RAM overclocking should be more consistent too.

Back
Top Bottom