• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
Well, if a completely different LP (that's known to scale much better than finfet) + lessons from 1st gen don't see an improvement... there's clearly little point.

So we have:
1) first lessons and improvement on a complete new architecture (consider sandybridge improvements intel side for a moment, basically the same place)
2) a (much) better LP (I'll dig out links)
3) a die shrink

I don't see why we're all sat around going "well, it might just be a toss up on performance vs Ryzen gen 1."

That seems... unduly pessimistic.

The performance gap, right now to Intel is 10-15%, based on clockspeed. IPC is nigh on par, assuming you give it the right ram sticks and can be arsed tweaking it (and it's not some pile of crap from 3-5 years ago that can ONLY run on 1 core). Completely tweaked and set up well (youtube vid linked elsewhere here) and it's... at least within "a head" of Intel. I'd think it more naysaying than being realistic to assume that they won't be basically at a point where the gaps closed. I _think_ that's being quite objective about it?

Soldato
I'm hopeful but not yet ready to fully board the hype train. :p

Understandable :D

This was the youtube vid I was on about. Yes the dudes gone to some pretty anal lengths to pull everything out of the Ryzen but... those figures are... interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yp7Pi39Z8

I'm _NOT_ fanboying either. Intel in current rig, come March when I intend to be upgrading, I'll go with whatever (though I am more bang for buck so... eh...). It's a horrifically immature platform presently though. This sort of stuff would be more "standard" with lessons learned and applied at design/build stage which... a redesign for a different LP would require anyway.

Permabanned
Understandable :D

This was the youtube vid I was on about. Yes the dudes gone to some pretty anal lengths to pull everything out of the Ryzen but... those figures are... interesting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6yp7Pi39Z8

I'm _NOT_ fanboying either. Intel in current rig, come March when I intend to be upgrading, I'll go with whatever (though I am more bang for buck so... eh...). It's a horrifically immature platform presently though. This sort of stuff would be more "standard" with lessons learned and applied at design/build stage which... a redesign for a different LP would require anyway.

Think I am not far off his settings, will have a watch later(speakers at work suck). :)

Associate
Could we see improved/enhanced motherboards with the next wave of Ryzen or are the potential upgrades limited to the processors ?

Soldato
Onboard 5gig/10gig NIC (depends on cost to add) would probably turn my head as well :)

Yeah pretty much read my mind. On board 10Gb/s NICs plus still keep 24 lanes of PCIE.

Motherboard makers could get really creative. 20 SATA, a load of SAS connections, no problem.

Soldato
Yeah everyone stay calm. Before we know it CPU's will be crushed by the millions.

lol.

But with all sincerity, expectation for the Zen+ (Not Zen2, that comes later) is a minor uplift in performance. Whether that comes from the process improvement, increased clocks or both, we do not know until AMD releases the information or we test it.

Associate
Challenge accepted :) I'm going to California in Nov. If I can't get one there (currently £250). Then I'll sit tight and wait for Ryzen 2 to come and show it's hand.
I thought prices are inflated there as well and Microcenter is selling them for... $500 (not quite £250 :) and you don't have delid and warranty around here).

Back
Top Bottom