• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen "2" ?

Soldato
That isn't SFX ;) that is standard ATX size. 150x150x86mm or close too. The standard SFX is 125x100x63.5mm but only Silverstone & Lian Li produce them and I have been burnt before with those and their build quality so if Seasonic or Superflower came out with something then I would jump on that tbh.
Ah ok, its actually my PSU, it is quite compact, hard to imagine them even smaller, i'm not sure who its made by, i think its Seasonic.

This is the PSU in my mini-ITX system:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=483
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/cors...sfx-power-supply-cp-9020104-uk-ca-217-cs.html

CA217CS_138971_750x750.jpg

Its running a GTX1080FE fine.

Associate
I'm torn on 2600 or 2700, and which motherboard. My i7 2600k is now only running 4ghz. Had to dial it back twice over the last year and had a major bios crash, so think it's now time to move on. Bought the 8pack ram 2 weeks ago when on offer so almost fully committed to upgrade now!

Caporegime
I'm torn on 2600 or 2700, and which motherboard. My i7 2600k is now only running 4ghz. Had to dial it back twice over the last year and had a major bios crash, so think it's now time to move on. Bought the 8pack ram 2 weeks ago when on offer so almost fully committed to upgrade now!

IMO the 6 core is the right balance, the 8 core is no better for gaming while 20% better for productivity but at that cost

Both CPU's are excellent and best in price class for productivity, the question is do you need the HEDT class productivity performance the 8 core offers? if not the 6 core is perfectly placed from everyother conceivable angle.

Edit: motherboards: Gigabyte or ASRock, wait for reviews tho...

Soldato
Why would I need Chill during browsing? The GPU is barely used at all. I don't use it during gaming either because I want my card to pump out as many frames as it can; that's the whole reason I bought a FreeSync monitor.

You set it to pump out as many frames as you wish, in the FPS range selector. If your screen can only do 144hz then have the frame limiter to between 60-144. That way it's not wasting heat, power trying to get more than 144frames.

Associate
IMO the 6 core is the right balance, the 8 core is no better for gaming while 20% better for productivity but at that cost

Both CPU's are excellent and best in price class for productivity, the question is do you need the HEDT class productivity performance the 8 core offers? if not the 6 core is perfectly placed from everyother conceivable angle.

Edit: motherboards: Gigabyte or ASRock, wait for reviews tho...

Cheers. Yeah think I'm sold on the 2600. I'll avoid Asus based on a few things I've read in this board, no asrock boards in ocuk yet. Unless I'm looking in wrong place

Soldato
Soldato
Why would I need Chill during browsing? The GPU is barely used at all. I don't use it during gaming either because I want my card to pump out as many frames as it can; that's the whole reason I bought a FreeSync monitor.

iChill only works during gaming. When you launch the game, iChill starts (you can hear 3 beeps to let you know it's working). You can set up different chill parameters for each individual game you play, or just use the generic default options for every game if yoiu can't be bothered setting up different profiles.

Soldato
I appreciate the feedback back. However voltage degradation after just 1 year running at 1.35v?

I thought Ryzen was safe for 24/7 up to 1.4v.

if 1.4v is the uppermost limit then I would consider 1.35v high. The problem is with people suggesting safe values is they dont know, they guessing, unless is documentation from AMD themselves saying its safe. Ryzen has been out a year or so, its too short a time to say whats safe and whats not safe.

Degradation within a year is very possible if vcore is high enough. Effectively how quickly its noticeable is depending on how high the voltage is and how close the cpu is been run to its limit.

What is stock vcore for ryzen chips?

Soldato
I can't see the 2700x being a better gaming chip than the 8700k.

Prob close enough to the 8700K to render a gaming difference moot, and likely faster everywhere else. Not bad at all for a sub £300 chip.

Easy upgrade for people like me already on AM4 too.

Looking forward to this one, now just need some decent stuff in GPU space. Pascal is 2 years old? AMD not put out anything decent in a while. Dayum GPU space is dull right now.

Caporegime
if 1.4v is the uppermost limit then I would consider 1.35v high. The problem is with people suggesting safe values is they dont know, they guessing, unless is documentation from AMD themselves saying its safe. Ryzen has been out a year or so, its too short a time to say whats safe and whats not safe.

Degradation within a year is very possible if vcore is high enough. Effectively how quickly its noticeable is depending on how high the voltage is and how close the cpu is been run to its limit.

What is stock vcore for ryzen chips?

about 1.3v tho others may differ, i can't remember but i think mine was a little higher, 1.4v is not that high, AMD CPU run quite different volts to Intel.

Soldato
From Tom's Review:

"AMD predicts that most customers should see somewhere between 3.9 and 4.1 GHz across all cores, and suggests you stick with a 1.35V ceiling if you want your chip to last. Although core voltages in excess of 1.45V are considered sustainable, they'll have a more pronounced effect on longevity."

From Kitguru:

"Default voltage for manual tuning should start at around 1.3625V, according to AMD. Users should be fine pushing to 1.40V with a decent CPU cooler and up to 1.45V with a high-end dual-tower heatsink or dual-fan AIO radiator. At 1.45V, however, AMD suggests that processor longevity could be affected according to their models."

The second quote seems to be sourced from AMD which would suggest 1.35v is ok.

Still I would start again on the o/c stability testing and make sure cpu stress testing is reasonable. Or you could just drop the cpu 100mhz from where it is now and see if it suddenly becomes more stable from that.

Soldato
It's about the same, 8700k only a tiny amount faster, by the time you factor heat and the 2700x being much cheaper (no expensive cooler needed), I'm going amd this time.

Their more or less the same price. And ok cooler is one thing but in my instance a £7 mounting kit from Noctua alows me to use my existing one.

I see them as the same price.

Even the mobo are the same!

For example the Prime Pro from Asus, is basically the same price whether it be X370/470 or Z370.

So no I disagree, they are like for like the same price.

Heat yea, you have a point.

But then clock speed. The average oc on the 8700k is what like 4.7-4.8GHz?

And Ram speed goes up too 4000MHz.

Those numbers are dream world on Ryzen.

Back
Top Bottom