• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 5800x turning off randomly either when idle or gaming

Associate
Sorry. Yes, new cpu. No more issues whatsoever.
Glad i finally got there!
Interesting one though, with about a week without a gaming PC, I’ve actually found other hobbies and have lost the will to play games! :confused:I don’t miss it at all.

Happy with AMDs turnaround though!

Glad you've got that sorted, did you go directly via AMD or the seller? I have occasional random crashes at idle involving 2 cores specifically, trying a little troubleshooting now with default RAM speeds to rule that out after trying a few other things. How long did the RMA process take in total?

Soldato
Glad you've got that sorted, did you go directly via AMD or the seller? I have occasional random crashes at idle involving 2 cores specifically, trying a little troubleshooting now with default RAM speeds to rule that out after trying a few other things. How long did the RMA process take in total?

If you want to check if it's the same problem just go into the BIOS and disable CPU C-States. If the crashes disappear then it's the same thing.

Associate
If you want to check if it's the same problem just go into the BIOS and disable CPU C-States. If the crashes disappear then it's the same thing.

That's a good point. Using XMP rather than my tuning of the RAM has been stable so far, but then I've not been idle at my PC for long leriods. I'll try with C-states off and my RAM tuned and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Soldato
No problem. I have the same problem but my CPU was bought B-Grade and as such, the warranty is gone so i'm stuck with it.

Luckily I still get full performance when loaded but no doubt i'll have to take a small loss when I move it on compared to chips without this fault.

Soldato
No problem. I have the same problem but my CPU was bought B-Grade and as such, the warranty is gone so i'm stuck with it.

Luckily I still get full performance when loaded but no doubt i'll have to take a small loss when I move it on compared to chips without this fault.
Try your luck RMAing it directly with AMD as the 3 months or so warranty should only be the warranty with the store and not the manufacturer.

Soldato
Try your luck RMAing it directly with AMD as the 3 months or so warranty should only be the warranty with the store and not the manufacturer.

I'd probably like to but it's going to be a right PITA not having a PC for a month or so, based on how long it took MarkA. I may do it next month if I decide to drop the money on one of the nice new V-Cache Ryzens. Otherwise it would mean buying a CPU to effectively "tide me over" whilst the 3700X is away, and prices are quite simply bonkers.

Associate
It took less than a week to RMA, to be honest. 6 days if I remember correctly.
Definitely worth it IMO.

Thanks for the info, that's a quick turnaround. Hopefully it won't come to that, I don't have a backup CPU but a week without it wouldn't be a huge inconvenience.

It's not a huge issue I imagine, more the resale value as you say. In my case as I have the warranty I may as well should the CPU turn out not to run correctly at default values.

Associate
Apologies for the bump but this sounds like an issue I am having.

New build system:

Ryzen 5800X
Asus ROG Strix B550-f
Gigabyte 3070
16gb kingston Fury 3600

Getting complete shut downs on the lightest of use, need to remove power cable for a short period before it will allow reboot.

Temps are idling around 44 according to ryzen master, very light use bumps up to 60, shut downs have happened as low as 70 degrees. Whilst the obvious answer is cooling (currently a hyper 212 on the cpu) it seems to happen at lower temps than an overheat should do.

I have had a bit of a read of this thread, sounds like perhaps voltage may be an issue? Whats the best way to analyse this? Ryzen master is showing an average volateg of around 0.9 to 1v, peaking at 1.1v at idle

Associate

run core cycler to test boost and curve optimizer stability.

Thanks, will give that a go, although on opening the website I get a spinning wheel under assets and no download option, will give it a while

As a side note, I thought I had updated the bios before installing everything, upon checking this morning it was still an old 2021, version 302 I think it was. Just flashed to the latest bios and reinstalled windows etc. Could that have an impact? I would have thought if the bios was incompatible with the CPU due to being older then it just wouldn't boot?

Soldato
Thanks, will give that a go, although on opening the website I get a spinning wheel under assets and no download option, will give it a while

As a side note, I thought I had updated the bios before installing everything, upon checking this morning it was still an old 2021, version 302 I think it was. Just flashed to the latest bios and reinstalled windows etc. Could that have an impact? I would have thought if the bios was incompatible with the CPU due to being older then it just wouldn't boot?
direct link:

guess you will never know about the bios. best to keep it updated these days due to agesa updates etc.

Last edited:
Soldato
it will let you know if it finds and error. what it does is it runs prime95 on a single core and rotates the core it runs on that way it will check to make sure each core is stable when boosted to its max boost clock. curve optimiser can cause stability issues on low thread loads which is hard to test when most testers do all core load testing.

Associate
it will let you know if it finds and error. what it does is it runs prime95 on a single core and rotates the core it runs on that way it will check to make sure each core is stable when boosted to its max boost clock. curve optimiser can cause stability issues on low thread loads which is hard to test when most testers do all core load testing.

Thanks, iteration 1 is completed, assume I just let it run for some time and it'll tell me the issues as it goes along?

Apologies for all the questions :D

Associate
watching things in ryzen master, I notice that Core 1 cycles in a very different way to all the other cores?

HCOezFf.md.png

Soldato
Ya dont want to be running other apps even monitoring stuff while using corecycler otherwise the core may not boost to full clocks. Check and see if it does boost fully then you know its all good.

Back
Top Bottom