• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen 7 1700 vs i7 7700k for gaming

Caporegime
Here is the 1600 vs 7800x and 7700k in 30 games.

people talk a lot about IPC, tho i'm not entirely sure everyone who rambles on about it knows what they are talking about i can use this video to point something out, given that he isn't using 2400Mhz ram with lose timings.

GTA-V is one of the worst games for Ryzen, if you take the 7700K clocked at 4.9Ghz thats 22.5% higher than the 4Ghz Ryzen 1600, the frame rates 4Ghz Ryzen vs 4.9Ghz 7700K are 115 vs 145, thats a difference of 26%, so the IPC (in one of the worst games for Ryzen) is +3% to kabylake, a 3% IPC advantage and most games don't have anything like a 26% performance difference between Ryzen and the 7700K at those clock difference, so at worst Ryzen has a 3% IPC deficit, at best its significantly higher than the 7700K.

Thats not all, the ram he used was CL16, Ryzen gains 10%+ just from using CL14 ram at the same speed.

IPC stands for Instructions Per Clock (how much performance the CPU has for its clock rate.

PS: you don't need to delid the Ryzen 1600 and buy a £150 cooler to get it to 4Ghz, it'll do it on the stock cooler ;)

ghg.png

And one last thing...............

AMD's
Intel "Glued Together"
CPU's vs Intel's 'Mesh'

gdhg.png

Oh ^^^^ Erm? ya...... 4Ghz vs 4.7Ghz and the 1600 wins comfortably, lets not compare Ryzen IPC with Intel's Skylake-X, Intel are humiliated here.......

Last edited:
Soldato
Also the test was using a GTX1080TI at 1080p,and this is the average of the tests:
https://techspot-static-xjzaqowzxaoif5.stackpathdns.com/articles-info/1450/bench/Average.png
Testing a Core i7-7700K only at 4.9 GHz? Didn't you know you can delid it and get a 240 mm rad custom loop and push it to 5.2 GHz?? Noobs.

Seriously though, the tiny gap between a stock i7-7700K and an i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz is pretty damning and shows the rapidly diminishing rewards of overclocking further and further compared to the stupid increases in cost and power usage. All of this in the realm that shows Intel in the best light too (i.e. top-end GPU at 1080p).

Soldato
Testing a Core i7-7700K only at 4.9 GHz? Didn't you know you can delid it and get a 240 mm rad custom loop and push it to 5.2 GHz?? Noobs.

Seriously though, the tiny gap between a stock i7-7700K and an i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz is pretty damning and shows the rapidly diminishing rewards of overclocking further and further compared to the stupid increases in cost and power usage. All of this in the realm that shows Intel in the best light too (i.e. top-end GPU at 1080p).

Yeah, the intel chips don't seem to scale much with clockspeed. The 7800x barely improved at all in some tests.
It makes me wonder if delidding is worth it. Is losing the warranty really worth that extra 1-5fps?

Soldato
Yeah, the intel chips don't seem to scale much with clockspeed. The 7800x barely improved at all in some tests.
It makes me wonder if delidding is worth it. Is losing the warranty really worth that extra 1-5fps?

If you're looking at Skylake X the 6 core needs to be avoided like the plague. The only two CPUs that seem to make sense is the 8 and 10 core. The higher core counts have really low clocks, and silly prices.

They're the only ones that sit in a good middle ground for single/dual core, and multicore performance.
Single core boost 4.5Ghz
Dual core 4.3 Ghz
All core boost 4.0Ghz

Which means you don't really need to bother overclocking and delidding them if you're mainly using them for a workstation but also game on them. Whether that's 1080p, 1440p, or 4K.

The 7800X seems the odd duck, it's listed as supporting 2400Mhz RAM, opposed to 2666Mhz; and performance even worse clock for clock than the 8 and 10 core variants. It's performance gains given 4.7Ghz overclock on a custom water loop is shocking.

It really seems that for actual real work results; overclocking on the current Intel generations really doesn't seem worth the extra costs for cooling, hassle, and potential loss of warranty.

What remains to be seen is if Threadripper's XFR will boost 4 cores, as in two cores per module to 4.0Ghz.
If that's the case, it also won't need overclocking much. You can spend that money and effort of proper 3200-3600Mhz RAM and try to get CL14 or CL16 timings which would help performance more.

Soldato
If you're looking at Skylake X the 6 core needs to be avoided like the plague. The only two CPUs that seem to make sense is the 8 and 10 core. The higher core counts have really low clocks, and silly prices.

They're the only ones that sit in a good middle ground for single/dual core, and multicore performance.
Single core boost 4.5Ghz
Dual core 4.3 Ghz
All core boost 4.0Ghz

Which means you don't really need to bother overclocking and delidding them if you're mainly using them for a workstation but also game on them. Whether that's 1080p, 1440p, or 4K.

The 7800X seems the odd duck, it's listed as supporting 2400Mhz RAM, opposed to 2666Mhz; and performance even worse clock for clock than the 8 and 10 core variants. It's performance gains given 4.7Ghz overclock on a custom water loop is shocking.

It really seems that for actual real work results; overclocking on the current Intel generations really doesn't seem worth the extra costs for cooling, hassle, and potential loss of warranty.

What remains to be seen is if Threadripper's XFR will boost 4 cores, as in two cores per module to 4.0Ghz.
If that's the case, it also won't need overclocking much. You can spend that money and effort of proper 3200-3600Mhz RAM and try to get CL14 or CL16 timings which would help performance more.

Well both the 7800x and 7700k in terms of overclocking results, neither provide a big enough increase to warrant delidding.

Soldato
Yep, and another 8%-9% if you go 3466 at CL14. Plus much more if you get DR ram, but atm seems most are stuck to 3200mhz with DR.

Also AMD Ryzen (and later) CPUs going to fly on DDR5, which is double the speed.
Has anyone done SR/DR tests recently? Would be interesting to see where the best speed/timing/rank combo lies in terms of bang-for-buck.

Back
Top Bottom