• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
Now I have to investigate motherboards. :o
Depends on what your budget and features you want, etc, but I'd recommend checking out the AM5 Motherboards Sheet for full details and comparisons of motherboard models.
I would link it here, but I'm not sure if I can, so just Google it. The Spreadsheet goes through pretty much all AM5 motherboards, listing all the features and specs in a way that makes it easier to compare and find what you're looking for.

Part of the whole reason I'm doing a build now is due to finding decent motherboards at decent prices. The features on my current Z97 board, which were far more common at cheaper price-points are now much harder to find on mainstream boards. I've found that I've had to choose from a small selection of B650E (and X670E) boards to get something even comparable to my existing board. Anything less feels like I'd be getting a motherboard downgrade doing this build.

On that note, good boards I'd shout out include the Asrock B650E Taichi Lite, a top spec B650E board and one of only 2 B650 boards with USB 4.0, minus the unnecessary tack, which can be found at an all time low price right now.

I'm personally eyeing up an Asus Strix B650E-E, based on a few things like PCIe slots, M.2 headers etc. But it's currently not at the lowest price it's recently been, so I won't jump unless I have to.

Last edited:
Associate
If I get a 7950X3D and assign the non 3d 8 cores to a VM and use the 3d cores for gaming? Has anyone done anything similar.
You shouldn’t need to. The only time this has happened for me was Modern Warfare 3 beta. Game Bar wasn’t recognising it as a game due to the fact that it hadn’t been released. All I had to do was select “remember this is a game”. On full release this was no longer an issue. Just make sure you keep Game Bar updated regularly and you will have no issues.

I have tested with Process Lasso and also with disabling the non 3d CCD, and in my experience this will make performance worse.

Soldato
Thinking of picking up an 7800X3D should the price drop to £329 again. @Gibbo any news on this happening again, card at the helm waiting?

Anyone recommend a motherboard to pair it with?

Caporegime
You shouldn’t need to. The only time this has happened for me was Modern Warfare 3 beta. Game Bar wasn’t recognising it as a game due to the fact that it hadn’t been released. All I had to do was select “remember this is a game”. On full release this was no longer an issue. Just make sure you keep Game Bar updated regularly and you will have no issues.

I have tested with Process Lasso and also with disabling the non 3d CCD, and in my experience this will make performance worse.
100% this.

OcUK Staff
Thinking of picking up an 7800X3D should the price drop to £329 again. @Gibbo any news on this happening again, card at the helm waiting?

Anyone recommend a motherboard to pair it with?

Yes 10am tomorrow until midday, so do be quick! :)

Also December 16th the promo stops totally and pricing will return to the £375-£400 typical price point, so anyone thinking of buying make sure to buy before December 16th as it will jump as much as £50 higher.....

Soldato
Yes 10am tomorrow until midday, so do be quick! :)

Also December 16th the promo stops totally and pricing will return to the £375-£400 typical price point, so anyone thinking of buying make sure to buy before December 16th as it will jump as much as £50 higher.....

Will do... just need a decent board now to pair before gifting my other setup.

Associate
Will do... just need a decent board now to pair before gifting my other setup.

Scroll up on this page, I mentioned both Asrock B650E Taichi Lite and personally myself and @Toxile are looking to land the likes of an Asus Strix B650E-E if it's on a better deal.
Considering the stories I've heard of worried AM5 owners wondering why their PC might take longer to boot and not knowing it's memory training, having an error code readout is even more handy than it normally is. Plus the other specs, i.e. the Asrock is the only B650 with USB4 or the Asus has a fair few M.2 and PCIe slots.

Posted the below on another thread by mistake:

With all the new 7800X3D owners, what sort of cooling solutions are folks running on this CPU? Especially given that it's fairly efficient and isn't that hot of a CPU to run.

Naturally I'm also looking to score a cooler to pair with mine, was considering the the ThermalRight PhantomSpirit 120 SE.

However... my current/old Intel Z97 rig (which I still plan to use/repurpose) has the NH-D15 on it. Could be an option to use that for the 7800X3D and I wouldn't want to buy a new one considering a new revision of the NH-D15 is coming soon and the price has gone up massively, compared to what I bought mine for back in the day.
I'd definitely need the mounting kit, since I bought the cooler before even AM4 existed, but that only costs around a tenner (or free from Noctua if I can be willing to fish up a proof of purchase). If I did that, I'd still need a new cooler, probably that PS 120 SE for the old Intel rig.

These ThermalRight coolers are certainly bang-for-buck at the moment. What does everyone else think?

Last edited:
Soldato
These ThermalRight coolers are certainly bang-for-buck at the moment. What does everyone else think?

Went off noctua as their pricing is ridiculous vs its rivals. I use the peerless assassin that in tests runs cooler than the D15. As for Asus B650E-E, I run it and it boots in 8 seconds and is more stable than any intel rig I have run.

Last edited:

Gee

Gee

Soldato
Opinions on best cl30 Hynix 32gb (x2 16gb) ram for this gen?

If it's any help I've gone with CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30. There's another SKU (CMK32GX5M2B6000C30) but from what I understand, that's better for Intel/XMP systems. Where as the Z variant is better for AMD/EXPO.

Managed to grab it for £119 a couple days ago.

Associate
If it's any help I've gone with CMK32GX5M2B6000Z30. There's another SKU (CMK32GX5M2B6000C30) but from what I understand, that's better for Intel/XMP systems. Where as the Z variant is better for AMD/EXPO.

Managed to grab it for £119 a couple days ago. TV

Managed to grab it for £119 a couple days ago.
Thanks for the info. Was looking at exactly those just now. Either them or G skill F5-6000J3038F16GX2-TZ5NR
. Do you find 1.4v a bit high? How’s the SOC at EXPO with that voltage?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom