• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Poll: Ryzen 7950X3D, 7900X3D, 7800X3D

Will you be purchasing the 7800X3D on the 6th?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Associate
7800x3d in an Asus B650e-i

Relaxed timings a bit for tCL, tRCDRD and tRFC

vdd/vddq/vddio 1.25v

6600c34

120mm fan over ram.

US4HFpp.png

Soldato
New chipset drivers dropped yesterday:

Release Highlights​

• Windows 11 version 24H2 support added.
  • New Program support added.
  • Bug fixes.

Known Issues​

• Some driver names on a non-English OS may appear in English.
  • The Uninstall Summary may incorrectly display the uninstall status as Failed.
  • Occasionally, Ryzen PPKG may not install/upgrade.

Soldato
The driver contains a new version of 3D Vcache performance optimizer

This could be amd adding support for the 9950x3d prior to it launching

But it could also just be bug fixing - the release notes says it includes support for a new version of windows 11 so it could mean the latest version of windows is causing issues for the 7950x3d and this driver fixes it

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't install the new AMD Chipset drivers if you are using a 7900X3D/7950X3D as they appear to stop core parking from working when launching a game. Use version 5.08.02.027 until this gets fixed in a future update.
AMD drivers :rolleyes: amiright?

Oops, sorry, wrong subforum! :D

This doesn't make an difference to 7800X3D though right? (Since it doesn't park any cores does it?)

Man of Honour

Great if people are purely gaming but most people are not and there is a vast gulf in some cases and generally 1-3 generations back performance in desktop use for non-gaming stuff, while the uplift in gaming performance is largely tiny aside from 1080p or below.

Soldato
It's great the 7800X3D's are now under £300 pretty much permanently some place or another, but I'm going to pick up a 9600X to see how does against my new X3D once the system is setup. Still tempted to get an 8700G to replace my 5700G, but really want the newer Gen GPU.

Man of Honour
It's great the 7800X3D's are now under £300 pretty much permanently some place or another

People keep saying this but I'm not seeing anywhere reputable under ~£320. Out of the two advertising under £300 which aren't out and out scams one is a drop shipper where most likely you'll have the order cancelled or wait months going by the seller reviews and the other if you click through that is the used price despite showing as new on the search result.

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't install the new AMD Chipset drivers if you are using a 7900X3D/7950X3D as they appear to stop core parking from working when launching a game. Use version 5.08.02.027 until this gets fixed in a future update.

A potential 9950X3D with 3D cache on both CCX's would be amazing, negating the need for any software driver to assign game threads to the correct core etc :D

Soldato
A potential 9950X3D with 3D cache on both CCX's would be amazing, negating the need for any software driver to assign game threads to the correct core etc :D

They did that ages ago and said it wasn't worth it (for gaming). The part which slows games down is when a game tries to talk between two CCX's as that's slower than a CCX talking to itself.

Soldato
They did that ages ago and said it wasn't worth it (for gaming). The part which slows games down is when a game tries to talk between two CCX's as that's slower than a CCX talking to itself.
Research and development means that companies can overcome prior limitations - it's likely a 9950X3D, with 3D cache on each CCX, would have mitigated the issue you describe.

We'll see - though AMD's wording that they've significantly improved X3D is hinting at such progress IMO.

Great if people are purely gaming but most people are not and there is a vast gulf in some cases and generally 1-3 generations back performance in desktop use for non-gaming stuff, while the uplift in gaming performance is largely tiny aside from 1080p or below.

You say "desktop use" but really "productivity" is the key word here, that is the real difference, the great majority of people will game, browse the web, and use basic office apps, in my whole entire life I've never met anyone that has used a PC beyond that, so on that basis with the 7800X3D you have considerably lower power usage (equating to lower noise output), much cheaper chip (£320 vs £520), also the LGA1700 has no future, while AMD have recently announced extended AM5 support until 2027+, so unless you're doing something like rendering or decoding etc I can't see an argument for the intel chip, and I say that as a person that has been Intel fan since the AMD Duron days.

Soldato
Research and development means that companies can overcome prior limitations - it's likely a 9950X3D, with 3D cache on each CCX, would have mitigated the issue you describe.

We'll see - though AMD's wording that they've significantly improved X3D is hinting at such progress IMO.

AMD has tried it since the 5950X3D with all the cache ages ago. It butchers the gaming benefits of 3D cache to talk between two CCX.

Alverson and Mehra didn’t disclose AMD’s exact reasons for not shipping out 12-core and 16-core Ryzen 5000X3D CPUs, however, they did highlight the disadvantages of 3D-VCache on Ryzen CPUs with two CCD, since there is a large latency penalty that occurs when two CCDs talk to each other through the Infinity Fabric, nullifying any potential benefits the 3D-VCache might have when an application is utilizing both CCDs.

Man of Honour
You say "desktop use" but really "productivity" is the key word here, that is the real difference, the great majority of people will game, browse the web, and use basic office apps, in my whole entire life I've never met anyone that has used a PC beyond that, so on that basis with the 7800X3D you have considerably lower power usage (equating to lower noise output), much cheaper chip (£320 vs £520), also the LGA1700 has no future, while AMD have recently announced extended AM5 support until 2027+, so unless you're doing something like rendering or decoding etc I can't see an argument for the intel chip, and I say that as a person that has been Intel fan since the AMD Duron days.

If you do things like streaming while gaming can also be a consideration there.

Personally would not recommend the 14900 at all though outside of certain productivity tasks the 14700K is cheaper, less power use and nearly as quick.

Soldato
AMD has tried it since the 5950X3D with all the cache ages ago. It butchers the gaming benefits of 3D cache to talk between two CCX.

Things can change, technology moves on. What wasn't possible yesterday may be possible in a year's time......

Back
Top Bottom