• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Ryzen noob, need advice please

Associate
I came across this the other day.

My 3900x when using PBO was high voltages at idle. as someone else says is used to get the high frequencies at short periods on limited cores.

I'm using an all core overclock now so my voltage is fixed. But I don't get the high frequencies.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm told that it is, I believe earlier in the thread?

It is :). looking at your results you idle at below 1v but hwinfo shows the maximum was 1.5v. Voltage is not dangerous here as there is very little load applied. I have run mine since last September like this and it's been great. For anyone in any doubt read the Reddit articles posted by their engineers.

Associate
OP
@random_matt I like it myself, I like stuff to clock down if it isn't being taxed. But I also understand others wanting that control themselves.

This is the reason I started the thread, because I've only had Intel systems for the last 15 years and all of this input is valuable and appreciated. So I'm guessing the 1.5v is an intentional side effect of PBO but at such low current (amps) that it can be done, I do like it if that's the case.

This is such a fantastic chip, big win for AMD and us gamers. I love having an AMD system again too, been too long.

Associate
OP
It is :). looking at your results you idle at below 1v but hwinfo shows the maximum was 1.5v. Voltage is not dangerous here as there is very little load applied. I have run mine since last September like this and it's been great. For anyone in any doubt read the Reddit articles posted by their engineers.

You're a star welshrat, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for that. And it makes perfect sense, it's a clever chip.

Associate
You're a star welshrat, that's exactly what I needed to hear. Thank you for that. And it makes perfect sense, it's a clever chip.
Directly from their engineers.

It is perfectly okay if your CPU is periodically using 1.4-1.5V to achieve boost frequencies, and you should see dips into sub-1.0V as the CPU goes into idle. These dips may be brief, and that's okay. Load voltages of around 1.2-1.3V are perfectly okay also. This is the processor working as expected. Ryzen is a highly dynamic system, with up to 1000 voltage and clockspeed changes every second. You will see a lot of bouncing around as you work with your system.

No worries. It seems the biggest issue with the CPUs is misinformation. Plug it in and enjoy.

Associate
OP
Nice one matey. Exactly how I feel about it. Just waiting for new GPUs to drop this year.

Yeh, gonna wait until the new year until making a call on that, still not sure what the job situation is going to be later this year. That's why i built a new machine now, and the 2080 isn't that bad to be going on with, it'll certainly do at least another year.

Soldato
@random_matt I like it myself, I like stuff to clock down if it isn't being taxed. But I also understand others wanting that control themselves.

This is the reason I started the thread, because I've only had Intel systems for the last 15 years and all of this input is valuable and appreciated. So I'm guessing the 1.5v is an intentional side effect of PBO but at such low current (amps) that it can be done, I do like it if that's the case.

This is such a fantastic chip, big win for AMD and us gamers. I love having an AMD system again too, been too long.
I miss my Intel build because of speedstep, downclocks with low voltage automatically with an obscene overclock. All core OC with Ryzen you do not get this, overrides everything and stays at the applied voltage. I'm only at 1.31v 4425mhz, but still rather it didn't stay like that permanently.

Associate
OP
I miss my Intel build because of speedstep, downclocks with low voltage automatically with an obscene overclock. All core OC with Ryzen you do not get this, overrides everything and stays at the applied voltage. I'm only at 1.31v 4425mhz, but still rather it didn't stay like that permanently.

Could this be the reason so many people on the Internet just say "Enable PBO and let it do its own thing"?

Soldato
Check in ryzen master as even when I'm running an all core OC it shows cores down clocking / sleeping and voltage dropping.

C64

C64

Soldato
I'm told that it is, I believe earlier in the thread?
mine idles 0.8-0.9 and the power plan recommends pbo disabled
  • Global C-state Control = Enabled
  • Power Supply Idle Control = Low Current Idle
  • CPPC = Enabled
  • CPPC Preferred Cores = Enabled
  • AMD Cool'n'Quiet = Enabled
  • PPC Adjustment = PState 0
  • I also recommend disabling PBO, which activates Precision Boost 2.0 for clock management. This ensures only temperature and FIT play a role for clock speeds.
https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/1usmus-custom-power-plan-for-ryzen-3000-download.html

Associate
Ryzen is certainly more scatty. I actually locked my 3700X to 4.3GHz at 1.352v (all cores) - It's stable as hell, temps are better and its over 5200 in cinebench now!

Soldato
Lot of opinions that locking it to 1.35v
All core will cause the silicon to degrade
Faster
Voltage and current being the enemy of silicon
Others disagree lol
How soon is faster I have no idea
I just left mine doing what AMD designed
It to do personally

Associate
Lot of opinions that locking it to 1.35v
All core will cause the silicon to degrade
Faster
Voltage and current being the enemy of silicon
Others disagree lol
How soon is faster I have no idea
I just left mine doing what AMD designed
It to do personally

Totally agree, I guess degradation will ultimately come down to how well they are cooled and quality of silicon, I understand squeezing the most out of the CPU matters to a lot of people but personally scores mean stuff all to me, it's all about how quick it is in general day to day things I do, which is a **** load of multitasking and coding and then for leisure a lot of gaming. I can tell without looking at counters how much better my new system is compared to my old 4790k which I did overclock to 4.5ghz however I just feel no need as AMD have taken that annoying part away for me.

Associate
OP
Agree with both of you. I don't feel it's worth manually overclocking these chips and I too had a 4790k and this Ryzen is certainly more efficient.

I've just made sure I have a good cooler (Dark Rock Pro 4) and enabled PBO. System is quiet yet powerful.

Back
Top Bottom