• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

finally got around to poppin the top of my s754 claw 3400+ 1mb
done 4 now

i was ultra carefull ,very clean, scalpil blade

now the chip wont post arghhhhhhh dunno why i didnt mess up :confused:

KarlMcWade said:
finally got around to poppin the top of my s754 claw 3400+ 1mb
done 4 now

i was ultra carefull ,very clean, scalpil blade

now the chip wont post arghhhhhhh dunno why i didnt mess up :confused:
Its cos your HS isnt making contact with the core, its sitting on the biege plastic raised portion surounding the CPU.
Its what happed to my CPU waterblock and Asus mobo. i had to hot glue the IHS back on.

pegasus1 said:
Its cos your HS isnt making contact with the core, its sitting on the biege plastic raised portion surounding the CPU.
Its what happed to my CPU waterblock and Asus mobo. i had to hot glue the IHS back on.

Re-attaching ihs ive found never works well for temps. Sometimes you can file the plastic bit down on the motherboard

Looks as if I'll be putting the IHS back on :( . Core temp did go down a lot with my x2 3800+, but it doesn't overclock any further at all. Therefore I'm putting it back on, and I'll swap back to my other x2 3800+(which I won't bother removing IHS on!). So would some epoxy or other glue do the trick? Just put a big dab of thermal paste on the core, apply some glue along the sides and put some pressure on the IHS?

sablabra said:
Looks as if I'll be putting the IHS back on :( . Core temp did go down a lot with my x2 3800+, but it doesn't overclock any further at all. Therefore I'm putting it back on, and I'll swap back to my other x2 3800+(which I won't bother removing IHS on!). So would some epoxy or other glue do the trick? Just put a big dab of thermal paste on the core, apply some glue along the sides and put some pressure on the IHS?
I used a hot glue gun but any glue should do the trick

pegasus1 said:
I used a hot glue gun but any glue should do the trick

Ok, cheers, I'll see if I can make time for that tomorrow :p

The chip is still working excellent after 1 week naked, seems to enjoy it :D . Sort of makes me want to pull the panties off my other chip, but it doesn't seem to be worth it really... But it will save me a lot of thermal paste though, those IHS' are really putting a strain on my tube of AS5 :o

sablabra said:
Ok, cheers, I'll see if I can make time for that tomorrow :p

The chip is still working excellent after 1 week naked, seems to enjoy it :D . Sort of makes me want to pull the panties off my other chip, but it doesn't seem to be worth it really... But it will save me a lot of thermal paste though, those IHS' are really putting a strain on my tube of AS5 :o

The core is in centre so you only need to aply paste to centre part of ihs

ted34 said:
The core is in centre so you only need to aply paste to centre part of ihs

whatevah

I didn't bother gluing it on. I just put a dab of TIM on the core and pushed the IHS on. It is really hard to get off, so I didn't bother gluing it. It's working perfectly though :)

pegasus1 said:
Dont try this if you have a Swiftech Apogee Extreme Performance Universal Waterblock and an Asus A8N delux sli mobo. .
Well ive done it and the above is no longer true, i filled down the beige plasic bit and found that it was the white spacers that were the problem so removed the IHS and attached the WB to the Mobo without the spacers.
Temps have dropped 2 degrees (maybe a little more once the AS5 Cures and im stable at 2.7 for the 1st time in the 10 months ive had the chip.
The down side is that the that the plastic bit that surrounds the socket has broken of (including the metal arm) so i doubt i'l ever be able to remove the CPU but i doubt i'l need to.

removing the IHS helped my 3800+ x2, Core 1 was reaching temps of around 56C loaded while Core 0 was only at 41C.

but after removing the IHS at load Core 0 load is around 33C and Core 1 is now 38C.

better news is that i can now run at 3Ghz with only 1.4v :D

Wingz said:
removing the IHS helped my 3800+ x2, Core 1 was reaching temps of around 56C loaded while Core 0 was only at 41C.

but after removing the IHS at load Core 0 load is around 33C and Core 1 is now 38C.

better news is that i can now run at 3Ghz with only 1.4v :D
Thats a decent chip, i have to stick 1.55v through mine to get 2.7 but at least it idles at 32C in a room at 21C.

Its a Toledo Core with the LCB9E 0632DPMW Stepping.

Edit: Core 1 seems to be the black sheep as it Prime failed after 6hrs so went to 1.450v and its now stable.

cpuidde4.jpg

btw be careful when use double edge razor blades :o

fingeren5.jpg

Last edited:
I am totally blown away right now! :eek:

I just removed the IHS from my second x2 3800+, and core temp is now cut to half!! Earlier the temp went up to 55-60c on one of the cores. Now it's loaded at 27-30c!! :D Holy crap, this is ought to bring my overclock to new levels! I'm a bit in a exstacy right now!

Btw, that is while running it at 2.8ghz and 1.525V :)

Last edited:
Clairvoyant said:
Has any one else done this with the following.

Asus A8N SLi Delux & Opty 170 and a Thermalright SL-120.

Would like to know if I need to file any thing away to get the HS to fit if I take the IHS off.

Thanx in advance.
If done it with that Mobo and a 3700sd but mine has a Swiftech water block on.

Back
Top Bottom