• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

ted34 said:
Some boards have the plastic bit at one edge where the lever goes into higher than the cpu once the ihs is removed. If you file this down then you can get away with it

Pegasus well done with glueing ihs back on - normally gives rubbish temps after that
The plastic bit was the problem but i cant be arsed to to take the mobo out and file it down as my temps are already very good, the problem with refitting the IHS was that i had already cleaned off the TIM that sits between the IHS and Chip so just put a fairly large dollop of AS on and then used the glue gun and it worked. I sort of hoped it wouldnt which would have given me a great excuse to buy either a new 3700 (that clocks beter than my crap one) or an X2, even though the thought of explaining to Mrs Pegasus why i had removed the IHS in the 1st place scared me.

I think i may give it ago on my +4800
I know its temps holding me back as when i was useing the standard H&F with the air conditioner blowing straight in i could prime stable at 2.8.

Well its done!
I could not be happier dual prime used to put my hottest core upto 61c, now both cores dual prime at 46c :D & should get better once i get the water tubing sorted.
Also cooling 1900xtx+1900xtmaster at 40c.

think i migh have broke myn ... was a spare CPU but still =[

Once of those lil brown bits next to the core has been chipped =[

EDIT: Yah put it back into the motherboard , wont even turn on..

Ah well this CPU did me well<3

(Athlon64 4200+ x2)

Last edited:
The day I find this will be the day I move over to core2 Duo(or buy an oxy-acetylene torch! :D ) the difference between IHS on or off on an A64 is night and day I reckon,easily 10 degree drop if running on water,just hacked one off of a new 3700+ 939 today,dunno why I keep buying 'em really! Very addictive at the current price/performance ratio.

God help me when the core2 Duo price drops hit!

just insert the IHS after youve removed it here

rotate2hq6.jpg

worked fine with me :cool:

Back
Top Bottom