• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

S939 A64 IHS Removal

In reply to Ted, yeah the hotter core craps out long before the cooler one so i don't know if its a dodgy heat sensor or what.
I've tried remounting loads of times now and it makes no difference :(
Right now they're sitting at 32C and 44C at idle. "CPU" is given as 38C. Is this a separate measurement or just an average of the two cores?

Hi guys, need a bit of advice. I`m taking it that the following problem is due to poor contact between the IHS and the cpu core. At this moment my x2 cpu is at 9x300, bios vcore is 1.35 (smart guardian shows 1.32vcore) idle cpu temp = 54c :eek: I`ve tripple checked and cpu cooler is making perfect contact with the IHS, paste used is arctic silver. Using a64info Pro program to read both core temps I get core0 = 67c, core1 = 64c, remember this is all at idle. The cpu can do 10x290 with 1.475vcore, temps rise slightly but everything stays stable. So do I remove the IHS ? Its a very good stepping cpu, I would cry for a week if I killed it :) Another thing which crossed my mind, if I touch the cpu cooler aswell as the heatpipes it is quite warm, would a better cooler make a difference ? I used the same cooler on an opty 144 and gave it 1.6vcore and the cooler never got this warm even though it ran at 2.9ghz. Any advice/opinions appreciated.

dC2006 said:
Hi guys, need a bit of advice. I`m taking it that the following problem is due to poor contact between the IHS and the cpu core. At this moment my x2 cpu is at 9x300, bios vcore is 1.35 (smart guardian shows 1.32vcore) idle cpu temp = 54c :eek: I`ve tripple checked and cpu cooler is making perfect contact with the IHS, paste used is arctic silver. Using a64info Pro program to read both core temps I get core0 = 67c, core1 = 64c, remember this is all at idle. The cpu can do 10x290 with 1.475vcore, temps rise slightly but everything stays stable. So do I remove the IHS ? Its a very good stepping cpu, I would cry for a week if I killed it :) Another thing which crossed my mind, if I touch the cpu cooler aswell as the heatpipes it is quite warm, would a better cooler make a difference ? I used the same cooler on an opty 144 and gave it 1.6vcore and the cooler never got this warm even though it ran at 2.9ghz. Any advice/opinions appreciated.

The x2 will run a lot hotter than the 144 but yours does seem hot. Is it in the same board as the 144 was (seeing if dodgy temp sensor), what was temps at idle and load for 144 @ 1.6v? Have you tried loading the x2, if so what temps did it hit? and what cooler are you using

Hi, yes its the same motherboard and cooler as in sig. Just check the following temps/voltages between the 2 cpus and the temps they produce.

OPT 144 X2 3800

Speed 2.9ghz 2.7ghz
Vcore 1.6v 1.35v
LDT Volt 1.5v 1.2v
Chipset Volt 1.7 1.5v

Cpu Temp Idle 38c 53c
Cpu Temp Load 47c 56c
PMWIC Temp Idle 39c 53c
PMWIC Temp Load 46c 58c
Chipset Temp Idle 41c 49c
Chipset Temp Load 50c 56c

As you can see some weird stuff going on here.

1 ) Either my IHS is not making proper contact on the x2 3800, but if that was the case would it explain a very warm cpu cooler as heat must be transfering through the IHS for it to get this warm.

2) These X2 cpu`s getting this hot is normal due to the 2 cores, so all above is normal although slightly worrying.

So what do I do ? :eek:

Either try to get a better air cooler or go watercooling which I dont want to do, or number 3 try remove IHS to see if it will make cpu temp drop, but that wont make pwmic and chipset temps drop though will it.

Btw I`ve swapped between the opty and x2 a few times today, still getting the same result in temps. Still cant figure out what causes the pmwic and chipset temps to rise even though on lower volts ?

That cant be right. An x2 with air cooling and only 3 degree difference between idle and load. I get 6 degree with good water at 1.57v with my x2. Looks like a dodgy temp sensor on the board. what does core temp report on the cpu? If it really is a 3 degree diff then its not bad contact ihs as its getting the heat transferred well - just a cooler that doesnt respond well to lower temps - i.e heat pipe style coolers

Ok IHS removed, idle/load temp are cpu 45c/52c, pmwic 43/51c, this is at 2.8ghz (10x280) 1.4vcore, I guess all I need is better air cooler now, like the ninja or tuniq tower 120 if I can find one.

Thats some good drops in temps and more sensible readings between idle and load. You still havent said what your cooler is?

Also i did have a ninja and it was good but could only get my chip stable at 2.95 and i wasnt too happy with temps. Went over to water and now runs happy at 3.1ghz with much better temps. Water does cost a fair bit more for good water (dont go for cheap water setups or your better off with air)

The cooler is an Arctic cooler 64 Pro, Yeah I may go water, just not sure if I will have the case space, a bit tight in there at moment, just about got my x1900xt in there. My case is only a Lian Li PC61 and dont think a few hundred more mhz justifies water cooling, plus the fact that this box runs 24/7 and I am away a lot, got this idea in the back of my head that if it starts leaking when I`m away, or am I too paranoid :p

The real question is do I keep the x2 3800 @ 2.8ghz or the A64 4000+ @ 3.1 (I know I can get it stable at 3.2 soonish) Mainly a gaming rig and occasional video editing.

Last edited:
That is a tough question. I think id go for the 4000 at 3.2 as it has 1mb cache over 512mb 3800 and should be far better for gaming. The video editing would make more use of the 2nd core but the extra cache in effect adds an extra 200mhz onto the 4000 over the 3800. A ninja should help with temps a bit as well

ah, go water, its more fun.

As ted says, I recon right now about 90% of games I play run better with my single core at 3.2ghz, but I've noticed lately my fps increase with games that take advantage of the second core of my dual core, so even games are starting to play better with my dual. When it comes to rendering and video compression the dual slaughters the single core, which is no surprise.
Its a tough call, but if you plan to stick with either cpu for longer than 6 months I would sell your single core.

Heskys right there - depends completly what yopu will use it for but the dual core will come more important in the future. I went from 3.03ghz single core to 2.5ghz dual core and dual core was amazin in windows. Once clocked though it was great and now i have 3.1ghz dual core thanks to my water (couldnt go past 2.95ghz on good air)
icon10.gif

Well i took the IHS off my 64 3500+, temps at idle are jumping around at 26 to 28, while at load never breaches 35, thats overclocked to 2.4 at the moment at 1.4v, using a DFI Ultra-D and a Freezer 64 cooler.

old idle temps were 32-25 and load temps were 45-48 so i marked improvment.

Also is it normal for the temps to jump around a little more than usual?

Last edited:
KnightStalker said:
Well i took the IHS off my 64 3500+, temps at idle are jumping around at 26 to 28, while at load never breaches 35, thats overclocked to 2.4 at the moment at 1.4v, using a DFI Ultra-D and a Freezer 64 cooler.

old idle temps were 32-25 and load temps were 45-48 so i marked improvment.

Also is it normal for the temps to jump around a little more than usual?
Depends what you have running in the background (Virus scan for instance)

Dont try this if you have a Swiftech Apogee Extreme Performance Universal Waterblock and an Asus A8N delux sli mobo. Unless you can be bothered to file a big chunk of the water block away.
I had already removed the IHS when i found this out. I refited everything and booted up only for my machine to stop after 5 seconds. the block didnt even touch the CPU so i then had to hot glue the IHS back on and amazingly all is fine with temps the same as before the removal.
You have been warned.

Some boards have the plastic bit at one edge where the lever goes into higher than the cpu once the ihs is removed. If you file this down then you can get away with it

Pegasus well done with glueing ihs back on - normally gives rubbish temps after that

Back
Top Bottom