Poll: Sakhir Grand Prix 2020, Sakhir - Race 16/17

Rate the 2020 Sakhir Grand Prix out of ten

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Looks like it could well be Russell

Sakhir Grand Prix: British driver George Russell is leading contender to replace Lewis Hamilton - BBC Sport

That's got to be the fan favourite choice, lets see what George is really made of. Vandoorne is just wasting the seat as he'll never get a drive at Merc whereas George is the heir apparent for Bottas's seat in 2022.

Starting to look like that otherwise it if it was Stoffel Vandoorne surely they would have announced it already, Renault announced it would be Fittipaldi within hours. Seems like there might be some negations going on

Is this likely to be a 2 race oppertunity or will Hamiltons self isolation have finished before Abu Dhabi?

I myself am hoping Russell has his chance to show his potential in the Merc. Wondering though if this will end up been a support role to help Bottas to secure 2nd in Drivers Championship.

Is this likely to be a 2 race oppertunity or will Hamiltons self isolation have finished before Abu Dhabi?

I myself am hoping Russell has his chance to show his potential in the Merc. Wondering though if this will end up been a support role to help Bottas to secure 2nd in Drivers Championship.
From what i've read into it, he's isolating for 10 days, that takes him to Thu but must provide negative test prior to appearing at the track. Cutting it close, I think theres even a very fair chance he may not race again this season.

Really hope it's Russell, and while his brief might well be a supporting one, he'll get every opportunity in qualifying and the race to show what he's got. Sucks to be Bottas if he's outperformed whoever Hamilton's replacement is though!

If Russell does get the seat would be good if he got both races not just the Bahrain v2 layout
Absolutely, I hope he impresses. However, I think we all have to be a bit subjective even if he does get the drive. Bottas even though he isnt exactly setting the world alight with his sub-par performances, he isnt a bad driver, he's just not in the same class as Lewis. He has had all season now to understand the characteristics and nuances of the W11, so if russell isnt immediately on pace with him, I think we have to be understanding of the situation.

Secretly though I hope he gets the drive and absolutely outclasses Bottas the same way Lewis does. It would be so nice to see a potential successor, someone to pick up the flame from Lewis when he inevitably steps down in the next few years.

It's a lot to ask to see him outclass Bottas coming in dry.
I would expect that bringing that car Home, in the top 6 with only a couple of days running would be a top notch performance, worthy of praise.

Anything in the top 4 would be frankly superb.

Beating Bottas (if he has a clean race) would bring into the question a lot, as it should not really be possible at such short notice.

Jack Aitkin in the Williams would be superb opportunity too.

It could turn into a VERY interesting race for fans of the sport, and new British talent, in particular!!

If Russell does get the seat would be good if he got both races not just the Bahrain v2 layout

Absolutely, I hope he impresses. However, I think we all have to be a bit subjective even if he does get the drive. Bottas even though he isnt exactly setting the world alight with his sub-par performances, he isnt a bad driver, he's just not in the same class as Lewis. He has had all season now to understand the characteristics and nuances of the W11, so if russell isnt immediately on pace with him, I think we have to be understanding of the situation.

Secretly though I hope he gets the drive and absolutely outclasses Bottas the same way Lewis does. It would be so nice to see a potential successor, someone to pick up the flame from Lewis when he inevitably steps down in the next few years.

Being that the races are back to back and the Quarantine period for a positive Covid test in Bahrain is 10 days I think and then a negative test is required. That would take him to Next Thursday. I say let George do both races! Mercedes have nothing to lose and a lot of data to gain about him and how good he actually is. If he gets the drive this weekend I may actually put some cash on him winning. Wonder if you put a bet on him winning now at 1000/1 would be marked void by the bookies?1

Russell confirmed!

Great news!

Screenshot-20201202-071410.png

Screenshot-20201202-071914.png

He's got every chance of a podium, can see him qualifying well and having a good crew around him to not let tbe pressure build too much, with tbe track being a relatively simple layout it should be easier to dial in a strong set up and the car and himself are easily good enough to beat albon and racing point. Not so sure about bottas and verstappen though coming in cold. But would be amazing to see him keep his qualifying record up.

Fantastic, this should be very interesting.

Very decent of Williams to let him take the opportunity.

Last edited:
Interesting stat: this is the first time in Mercedes F1 they won't have started with either Juan Manuel Fangio, Michael Schumacher, or Lewis Hamilton in one of their cars. The three drivers with the highest number of World Drivers Championships.

No pressure, George.

Interesting stat: this is the first time in Mercedes F1 they won't have started with either Juan Manuel Fangio, Michael Schumacher, or Lewis Hamilton in one of their cars. The three drivers with the highest number of World Drivers Championships.

No pressure, George.

"Stat" Are you crofty? the plot thickens :)

Back
Top Bottom