Salt

Soldato
I know that Himalayan Pink Salt is all the rage at the moment but i like to be awkward!

A few years ago i bought some Hawaiian red salt in Spain and it gave a fantastic flavour. I just went to buy some more having ran out and saw this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacifica-H...&qid=1486548960&sr=8-3&keywords=hawaiian+salt

It's black lava salt. From a bit of googling it's salt which has been coloured by charcoal left from volcanic eruptions.

Has anyone tried it? Otherwise whats your salt of choice?

Associate
Maldon's for me, everywhere sells it. Though the last box I got was a bit hard to crumble, usually easy. Had the pink stuff too, couldn't tell the difference.

Soldato
Marvt74;30482082 said:
It's black lava salt. From a bit of googling it's salt which has been coloured by charcoal left from volcanic eruptions.

It does have a slightly different flavour (I have black salt from Hawaii and some other volcanic regions) and lends itself to certain dishes, but it is more of a visual thing - the average person will react more to the colour and then think about the taste than being able to discern it from a blind tasting. But I do think that the better coloured salts lend far more to a dish than just aesthetics.

I use all types of salt in my cooking - Maldon is my go-to for general seasoning and finishing dishes, I use Kosher for curing, salting, etc and rely on table salt for high-volume tasks.

Then I have black, pink, smoked and various other types of salts for either finishing or dressing dishes or imparting certain flavours into things. I also 'make' my own flavoured salts for certain dishes, which sounds fancy but is anything but and gets used more for finishing than anything else.

Soldato
Punt;30482248 said:
Maldon's for me, everywhere sells it. Though the last box I got was a bit hard to crumble, usually easy. Had the pink stuff too, couldn't tell the difference.

I'm another Maldon's user but only recently made the switch as I've got more and more into my cooking. Before I would just use normal table salt and I still do for certain tasks like boiling pasta/potatos etc. Much prefer using Maldon's in my cooking now and as Punt has said everywhere sells it (including our local Sainsburys) so it's easy to get.

Haven't tried pink salt but may give it a go at some point.

Don
Not salt but pepper

Bought some Phu Quoc black peppercorns recently, tried biting into one alongside a "normal" one, about blew my head off :p

Soldato
I know that Himalayan Pink Salt is all the rage at the moment but i like to be awkward!

A few years ago i bought some Hawaiian red salt in Spain and it gave a fantastic flavour. I just went to buy some more having ran out and saw this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pacifica-H...&qid=1486548960&sr=8-3&keywords=hawaiian+salt

saxa salt does the job for me

Back
Top Bottom