Salt

Permabanned
The table salt, the cheapest one is usually 99.8% sodium chloride NaCl, with ferrocyanides as anti-caking agents.

The thing is that in nature, the sea salt is never almost perfectly 100% NaCl.

Dead Sea salt has only 30.4% NaCl
While average ocean water salt has around 85% NaCl

The mineral content of the Dead Sea is very different from that of ocean water. The exact composition of the Dead Sea water varies mainly with season, depth and temperature. In the early 1980s, the concentration of ionic species (in g/kg) of Dead Sea surface water was Cl− (181.4), Br− (4.2), SO42− (0.4), HCO3− (0.2), Ca2+ (14.1), Na+ (32.5), K+ (6.2) and Mg2+ (35.2). The total salinity was 276 g/kg.[26] These results show that the composition of the salt, as anhydrous chlorides on a weight percentage basis, was calcium chloride (CaCl2) 14.4%, potassium chloride (KCl) 4.4%, magnesium chloride (MgCl2) 50.8% and sodium chloride (NaCl) 30.4%. In comparison, the salt in the water of most oceans and seas is approximately 85% sodium chloride. The concentration of sulfate ions (SO42−) is very low, and the concentration of bromide ions (Br−) is the highest of all waters on Earth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Sea#Chemistry

The Himalayan pink salt contains around 97% NaCl and 3% for the other minerals - magnesium, etc.

So question - why did people choose to eat mainly NaCl ? ?

Permabanned
I believe it's because the Sodium ions make the enzymes in your saliva work more efficiently and releases more flavour, that and it stimulates the salt receptors on your tongue.

People develop magnesium deficiency symptoms and other important minerals deficiencies because of such practices. Normally, natural salt contains the necessary minerals but people rarely take natural salt.
So, they are forced to take magnesium as supplements/pills.

Soldato
People develop magnesium deficiency symptoms and other important minerals deficiencies because of such practices. Normally, natural salt contains the necessary minerals but people rarely take natural salt.

I tend to use sea salt myself, but it's more expensive which I expect means that many consumers (and processed food producers), will look to save money. False economies tend to hit the poorest the most.

Caporegime

You've found a new fad, good times.

Soldato
I'd never heard of Himalayan Pink before this thread, then lo and behold I was in a sandwich bar/cafe today and it was on the table.

20191003-130823.jpg

Associate
Quality of salt is certainly important. Would I turn down something with regular salt? No.

Could I tell the difference between a steak dressed with table salt, or a steak dressed with Maldon? Absolutely.

Soldato
How bad is 50% reduced salt? I've been using it for a while but have read that the potassium chloride in it is potentially a killer? What alternative is there if you want reduced salt intake but will still give a sufficient salt taste?

Back
Top Bottom