Samsung 2018 Q9F, Q8F, Q7F - differences and which to buy?

Soldato
at 65" size price differential between samsung and sony is smaller,
afaik it has 10x more dimmable areas too, more like dx902 had,
.. recently learned pan fx750 disappointingly has just 5 bars/areas, albeit IPS, but have not yet seen one though.

also - if you have had a partiucular brand of tv and are happy with the build quality/life you tend to be loyal - rtings don't discuss reliability/happiness, do they ?

Caporegime
at 65" size price differential between samsung and sony is smaller,
afaik it has 10x more dimmable areas too, more like dx902 had,
.. recently learned pan fx750 disappointingly has just 5 bars/areas, albeit IPS, but have not yet seen one though.

also - if you have had a partiucular brand of tv and are happy with the build quality/life you tend to be loyal - rtings don't discuss reliability/happiness, do they ?

it's £1500 vs £2300

so it's £800 more which is around what 55-60% more money for 0.2 difference in PQ

10 x more dimmable areas? that sounds like BS to me. it would be substantially better then not 0.2 points overall if that was correct.

reliability? the sony come with 5 or 6 year warranty - so mute point.

happiness? wtf? so people are happier when they buy samsung? can i get some of what you have been smoking?

Soldato
10 x more dimmable areas? that sounds like BS to me. it would be substantially better then not 0.2 points overall if that was correct.
Catch up on Vincent .. one of the few things worth watching on utube, whilst I'm finding nothing to watch on sky - 8x6 versus ~500

Caporegime
That surprised me :eek:

I was expecting you to come back saying you had a 65" or 77" LG C8 OLED

i always buy bang for buck. i think it's stupid to spend more than £1K on a tv. every tv I have bought has been cheaper than £1K. all of them very very very good tv's usually one of the best available.

right now the XF90 is the FALD value for money king.

i would have gotten the 65 inch had it been cheaper than £1300 but it was £1500. so it made it not worth it over the 55 inch for me. would have been my first tv to break the £1K barrier but wasn't to be

Soldato
Well bought the Q9F delay, getting delivered on Friday.
Got that bad boy set up yet? I was so close to buying that myself but grabbed the 65C8 instead.

I was extremely interested in the QF9. It seemed to be the first TV Samsung sat down and tried to make the best TV they could instead of trying to use gimmicks and style to outdo the competition.

Ended up making one of the best all round LCD TVs ever made.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Got that bad boy set up yet? I was so close to buying that myself but grabbed the 65C8 instead.

I was extremely interested in the QF9. It seemed to be the first TV Samsung sat down and tried to make the best TV they could instead of trying to use gimmicks and style to outdo the competition.

Ended up making one of the best all round LCD TVs ever made.

According to that review and I only watched like a minute of it. So could be more.

The Q9 performs really badly in dark scenes missing a lot of detail. In particular when Sandra bullock is lost in space. It's amazing how much detail is lost compared with oled.

Soldato
According to that review and I only watched like a minute of it. So could be more.

The Q9 performs really badly in dark scenes missing a lot of detail. In particular when Sandra bullock is lost in space. It's amazing how much detail is lost compared with oled.
It suffered from over agressive local dimming. I believe a firmware update came out to lessen the effect.

It's just one of thoses side effects like bloom from FALD technology.

Gti

Gti

Associate
It is but Hdtvtest, Avforums and rtings are much better review sites.

What hifi make their money from promotion. So you can pay to get a better review.

To be fair, I did some digging (after I bought my lg b8) and Vincent at hdtvtest seems to be in bed with LG. He gets free travel to go to their events/product launches. He seems very knowledgeable and maybe he doesn't let the freebies bias his views...but eh, if I'd known it before I bought my tv I would have put a bit less stock in what he said.

Soldato
should take my own advice ... but flatpanels frequently have best reviews, and give the settings they used, their de site often has newest reviews, still waiting for their fx750 one.

Compared to last year’s 900 series, the 2018 X900F bumps up the number of local dimming zones in the LED backlight. In fact, it can almost match last year’s more expensive X930E (approx. 60 versus 72) but cannot match the flagship Z9D, which has more than 600 zones for local control. As a general rule of thumb, more zones offer improved luminance control and enable the TV to reproduce more contrast-rich pictures.

After the very disappointing performance from last year’s edge-lit Q9, Samsung has decided to once again incorporate an LCD panel with zone dimming – or so-called full array local dimming (FALD) – in Q9FN. In the US, the step-down Q8 will feature a scaled-down version of the backlight whereas the European Q8 will be edge-lit. The more affordable “QLED” LCDs will all be edge-lit. On the 65-inch Q9FN, we counted a total of 30x16 zones (480 in total) spread across the LCD panel, which means that each zone covers 17,280 pixels (8.3m pixels / 480 zones). In each zone, Q9FN can boost or dim its backlight in accordance to the specific movie scene. Samsung has declined to comment on the zone count in the smaller and larger TV sizes

vincents back friday 'review' was pretty egalitarian between panasonic and lg oled implementations.

Soldato
To be fair, I did some digging (after I bought my lg b8) and Vincent at hdtvtest seems to be in bed with LG. He gets free travel to go to their events/product launches. He seems very knowledgeable and maybe he doesn't let the freebies bias his views...but eh, if I'd known it before I bought my tv I would have put a bit less stock in what he said.
That’s the problem with reviewers, they all have an agenda even though they won’t admit it. all you can do is look at each model your thinking of buying and try and make a decision based on what you see yourself, what I would say is try and view it at a shop like richer sounds that has a media room so your not seeing it in a shop environment, and the good thing about richer sounds they will move the tv your thinking of buying into the media room with some notice.

Soldato
i always buy bang for buck. i think it's stupid to spend more than £1K on a tv. every tv I have bought has been cheaper than £1K. all of them very very very good tv's usually one of the best available.

right now the XF90 is the FALD value for money king.

i would have gotten the 65 inch had it been cheaper than £1300 but it was £1500. so it made it not worth it over the 55 inch for me. would have been my first tv to break the £1K barrier but wasn't to be
Am the other way

As I look at TV's even with a high price tag give me really good value due to the amount of hours I use it for and the enjoyment I get from it and the amount of years I normally own one for (My last TV was 12 years and 34,000hour use)
plus the value added due to it something all my family members + friends will use it...
And when it does come time to upgrade it then the TV is normally passed to another room or family member...

Last edited:
Caporegime
Am the other way

As I look at TV's even with a high price tag give me really good value due to the amount of hours I use it for and the enjoyment I get from it and the amount of years I normally own one for (My last TV was 12 years and 34,000hour use)
plus the value added due to it something all my family members + friends will use it...
And when it does come time to upgrade it then the TV is normally passed to another room or family member...

I buy a new tv every 2-3 years so bang for buck. I usually put old one in another room but now I just sell them.

Bedroom - Panny Plasma GT50 (about 5-6 years old now)
Living Room - LG 4K HDR - 2 years old
Games Room - Sony XF90 - 0.5 days old (delivered today) Replaces a Sony W907C which was 2 years old (2015 top of the range model)

Man of Honour
OP
any reason why you picked this over the rest of the competition?

personally i think it's overpriced and the xf90 offers better VFM for similar PQ.

OLED offers better PQ for cheaper

Sorry missed this. I liked the picture when demoing it, I do have good experience with samsung so a bit of loyalty too, I liked the remote quality and functionality and the interface and liked the separate connections box and no gap mount which suited how i wanted to install it.

Back
Top Bottom