Samsung 226BW Bad Caps warning

Soldato
I use a 25w Iron too, and to be perfectly honest it's a tiny bit weak for PCB work. I would imagine 40w or higher would be much better as you really don't want to keep the iron on the PCB for too long as you risk permanent damage.

The trick though is to make sure the iron is up to full temperature and has been tinned prior to putting it anywhere near the board. If the solder is forming balls, then you probably didn't have the hot iron touching both parts, ie: the capacitor leg and the solder point on the PCB. Both need to be heated by the iron in order for the solder to flow and attach properly.

Soldato
Decided to fix & sell them.

Could anyone point me in the direction of the post that tells me what I need to buy?

It'll depend on your screen model, and in particular the model of PSU that it has installed. There is no way to tell this until you take it apart.

Associate
This Thread has been really useful; thanks guys:D

The wifes Sammy 2232BW was flashing merrily and luckily I found this thread.
On inspection 4 domed CapXon capacitors:mad:
Got replacements from an online electronics components supplier for pennies, handling charge of ~£6 +VAT wasn't funny.
Even though my soldering is by no means the best, it did the job.

Well pleased:)

Soldato
My Google skills are failing me lately, having trouble finding a stockist for Panasonic capacitors, in single quantities & at a sensible price.

Bought the last lot off the bay, I used 'Semtech1' for Panasonic capacitors, he now doesn't stock two of which are needed for the Samsung 226BW repair.
My own fault, should have have bought extra last year.:(

Looking on the bay for a repair kit, most seem to be located in the USA.
There was a brilliant electronics shop here a few years ago, sadly closed now.

Just reread this thread, & spotted http://www.digikey.co.uk being mentioned, so I might have solved my problem.:o

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow...

I bought a 226BW around 2008 and I finally replaced it last year because when pushing the power button the screen would flicker 2 shades of black, a lighter black when the screen is on, and "off black" when there is no power. I used to spam the power to get it turned on and later in life I would just turn it on and leave it and eventually comes on by itself, all the while the power button would flash on and off.

My 226BW also had a huge rattle since day 1, something large is moving about inside.. I'm tempted to open it up now and see what it's like inside and to confirm for this thread about my capacitors.

I have a Samsung SA350 now.

[EDIT] Ok I'm back from having my 226BW open, only 1 cap has the yellow gunk on top(C317) all the others are clean but are bulging, from what I gathered from this thread is bulging caps = bad. As for the rattle I mentioned, there was indeed a large piece of loose metal inside my monitor, you can see it in the pic below. Although I got every thing apart ok, I wasn't delicate when it was apart and I smashed a port on the other PCB, so even if I did replace these caps the damage I did has probably knackered it anyway. Doesn't matter though it's been on my desk for like a year unused.

As for the panel type I thought it was an S, research I've done told me Slovakia is where Samsung's factory is and mine is from Slovakia so... dunno.

http://i.imgur.com/XLl9c3T.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Shame ya smashed the other PCB ;D cause ya can buy a replacement power PCB for bout 15 quid and hte monitor works good as new again, many people had this problem with the monitor but its an easy fix. I stupidly ordered a new dell 23 inch, when it broke, now i have 2 monitors sat here and im trying to figure out what to do with 1 of them :)

Soldato
had same issue with my lg 24" tft, did some newbie soldering on the ps board and replaced the 2 bad caps via youtube vid, and the capacitors cost me 3 quid off flebay and back up and running :)

not bad for a tft still working daily for over 5 years.

Soldato
Hell yeah I loved my Sammy 226BW, not only was it was my first TFT, even if it wasn't an S or A panel the colour quality I thought was awesome and I even tried to match my Sammy SA350 colours.

Brilliant monitor Sammy 226BW, was also my first TFT, mine been used 12 hours or more,every day for 5 or 6 years.
And it's only in the last few weeks it has started showing the bad caps fault.

Back
Top Bottom