Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Soldato
Not sure whether to try this or wait for the LG 38" 1600p coming later, Any-one else?

This is quite a nuts screen ratio at 31:9... it won't be for everyone. I've not actually experienced it in a game personally, but I'd try and check out some YouTube vids of the 1080p version (which will be a similar experience in gaming), and/or this one when it's in the hands of reviewers. There's a 60Hz one as well I've seen people talk about. I think the 38" LG will be better suited for the most part in games (it's 21:9, which has been around for years now), but perhaps in flight sims and driving games the 31:9 aspect will offer something quite unique. It's probably something you have to experience yourself to know.

Soldato
Are you volunteering to be the guinea pig? :D

I'm very happy with my 27" 4K monitor. Besides, at 22 million pixels, it's going to take a pair of RTX Titans to push that many pixels in a modern game. Still, you'd get a better frame rate than 8K. :) But the next generation of GPUs should be able to do it. And since you can print a display of any resolution, I wouldn't be surprised if monitor manufacturers weren't considering it.

Soldato
No early reviews out there of this yet? It's intriguing, but coming from 4K, I know that loss of pixel height would ruin it for me personally. Plus 31:9 is good for some games, but I think would be daft in others.

Associate
No early reviews out there of this yet? It's intriguing, but coming from 4K, I know that loss of pixel height would ruin it for me personally. Plus 31:9 is good for some games, but I think would be daft in others.

Why do you keep calling 5120x1440 resolution's ratio 31:9? It can't be just to mess with my mind, can it?

Associate
Does anyone know if with this monitor am able to split the screen 2/3 times? I don't mean hardware source splitting but just to be able to play games on say half of it and on the other half to have windows open etc.

Soldato
I'm infinitely happy with my Philips but with this being 1/8th easier to drive and going higher refresh and being very wide and also HDR1000 I am desperate to read the crap out of some reviews.

Does someone know off the top of their head if the following games allow 32:9:

Metro 1,2 and 3
Forza Horizon 4
Tomb Raider reboot 1,2 and 3
Final Fantasy 14
Dirt Rall 2.0

If so then thats 99% of my life that can go over to 32:9

Soldato
Mm I can certainly see why you would want 21:9 over 16:9, because well it is better, but 32:9 over 21:9 hmmm... is the 32:9 not a bit too wide and not tall enough, according to displaywars it is the same height as a 27".... If this was same height as a 32" I think it would be better. For example 30:10 or something instead of 32:9.

Associate
I'm infinitely happy with my Philips but with this being 1/8th easier to drive and going higher refresh and being very wide and also HDR1000 I am desperate to read the crap out of some reviews.

Does someone know off the top of their head if the following games allow 32:9:

Metro 1,2 and 3
Forza Horizon 4
Tomb Raider reboot 1,2 and 3
Final Fantasy 14
Dirt Rall 2.0

If so then thats 99% of my life that can go over to 32:9

Hi there, I can post some pics for you later. This is from memory - Tomb raiders well the last 2 worked with 32 9. The last 2 Forza def worked with 32 9 as well.

I think FF14 also worked but will need to double check.

Games that support it well = Fortnite, Soul Calibur ( with the widescreen fix ). Pretty much all MMPORGS. Battlefield one and 5. Destiny 2 and Division 2. Apex, Latest Call of Duty especially - amazing support and implementation.

Games that do not work with 32 9 = PUBG( No big loss - grown tired of this game and haven't played in months), Most console ports won't work ( need 4k screen ideally )

The new monitor you are going to need a 2080TI though at least...

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi there, I can post some pics for you later. This is from memory - Tomb raiders well the last 2 worked with 32 9. The last 2 Forza def worked with 32 9 as well.

I think FF14 also worked but will need to double check.

Games that support it well = Fortnite, Soul Calibur ( with the widescreen fix ). Pretty much all MMPORGS. Battlefield one and 5. Destiny 2 and Division 2. Apex, Latest Call of Duty especially - amazing support and implementation.

Games that do not work with 32 9 = PUBG( No big loss - grown tired of this game and haven't played in months), Most console ports won't work ( need 4k screen ideally )

The new monitor you are going to need a 2080TI though at least...

Sorted for GPU :) Nice to know! FF14 is the biggy at the moment. Takes up all my time.

Back
Top Bottom