Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Associate
So, this monitor has been around for some short period of time...

Does anybody know the exact number of dimming zones on this monitor? How are they located on the screen?

While I am skeptical about HDR on edge-lit displays, how is HDR performance of the monitor in games/movies?

Is the monitor, at least, capable of turning backlight off on completely black vertical areas (while playing games and watching video in full screen mode with ratio < 32 : 9, for instance)?

Associate
lol Hope your wife has arms like geoff capes because that thing looks huge
Not going to get mine today now, i had to come into work (usually work from home) and wife has had to go out fo the day, so rescheduled delivery until tomorrow, so not unboxing videos etc from me until then.

Associate
I received mine today, the box was open (deliberately it seems, the tape had been cot on both ends and straight down the middle) and its missing items (the girlfriend signed for it, noticed it was open but didn't think to check it further!!!)
Can someone who received their monitor confirm that the green box is the vertical part of the stand and the red box should contain the plastic section that goes over the inputs on the back of the monitor.
Overclockers have no replacements and no ETA on when additional stock will arrive, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement!

samsungcrg9.jpg

Soldato
If you see the video below (go to 57 seconds), it's clear you are correct and are missing the vertical support and the plastic cover. How the hell does that happen??!! I feel your anger and disappointment!! :mad:

Soldato
I have 2 LG 21.5" 4K screens which I am running at a scaled resolution of 2560 x 1440 and its amazing. The quality and clarity is stunning. This monitor would basically replace both of these and remove the bar in the middle of the 2 screens whilst keeping the same amount of content visible. I have no idea how people put up with rubbish resolutions on large screens. 1080 is horrible to look at on anything larger than 15" IMO unless your eyesight is mole-like.

Well I am more then happy with the 1080 res on my screen guys, plus I doubt I could have afforded the £1.400 price tag for the HDR version.

Associate
I received mine today, the box was open (deliberately it seems, the tape had been cot on both ends and straight down the middle) and its missing items (the girlfriend signed for it, noticed it was open but didn't think to check it further!!!)
Can someone who received their monitor confirm that the green box is the vertical part of the stand and the red box should contain the plastic section that goes over the inputs on the back of the monitor.
Overclockers have no replacements and no ETA on when additional stock will arrive, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement!

samsungcrg9.jpg
I received mine today and you are correct. That's really disappointing.

Associate
Luckily I have a stand that fits so it's not the issue it could have been and Overclockers have agreed to replace it when they get new stock.

So far quite impressed, freesync works nicely with a Nvidia graphics card full screen, although there is noticeable flashing when enabled windowed.

Played a few rounds of Mechwarrior Online, so far so good.

Have setup displayfusion to carve up the monitor real estate (currently on offer at humble) to enable snap to grids for productivity work, it's almost as impressive as I'd hoped it would be!

Just wish Windows HDR was a little better, the screen looks very washed out with it enabled.

Associate
Sorry got mixed up on the 21:9 supported res. It does list 2560x1080 though.

Here are the supported res.
I am keen to find out how well the monitor is with lower res to support GTX 1070 / GTX 1080 users that may want higher frames over lower resolution.
Yet use the monitor at native for desktop.

IjN7dx6.png

Info on other forums Here

I would be interested in knowing this too. I Currently have a 1070 atm but inevitably ill be upgrading the GPU.

Associate
I would be interested in knowing this too. I Currently have a 1070 atm but inevitably ill be upgrading the GPU.
I've just upgraded to this beauty and have a GTX 1080. I played more or less at max/ultra settings on my 34" Ultrawide and have been pleasantly surprised at the FPS on the 49" as I thought I'd have to drop to high settings to get smooth framerates. Without doing anything like rigorious testing I'm getting generally over 60 FPS in games like Vermintide 2, Resi Evil 2 and ME: Andromeda. Gameplay certainly feels very smooth, at least to me.

Associate
Regarding those supported res details - am I reading it right that the higher refresh rates are only at the lower resolutions and not available at the max resoultion?

Associate
@PCM2, @Baddass

Guys, when may we see reviews of the monitor?

While not a review in the sense of other more experienced users, I can give a personal opinion on this monitor.

I’ve had mine from last Thursday, and have been using it for around 6 hours a day since then as I work from home so use it most of the day.

From a physical size perspective, it’s a bit of a beast and you will need a big desk to hold it. The monitor comes very nicely packed with reasonably good instructions on how to put it together. You need to put the back support and leg on prior to removing it from the box, then you tilt the box so that the monitor rests on the stand and from there you can remove the box from the front leaving the monitor free-standing on the floor. I managed to do this on my own, but would be easier with two people.

Once on the desk, it was then a matter of connecting up the cables, the monitor comes with two power cables, one UK, one European. One HDMI cable, One display port cable, one USB cable (to extend from desktop/laptop to USB port on monitor). Here there is a downside, the ports are hard to get at from underneath to get the correct angle to place the cables into the slots. Also there is a thin black plastic cable cover to cover all the ports and allow the cables to exit the back in one neat manner. The exit hold though is in a position that means the cables are twisted hard and seem to pull on their connections.I’ve left the cover in place at the moment, but tempted to take it off to not strain the ports.

Once all the cables where in the monitor I then connected the display port to my main gaming rig with a 1080 card inside. The monitor was instantly recognised and the correct resolution was set. The screen looks magnificent straight away, the colours are bright and rich, and the curve of the screen makes a slight twist of the head necessary to see the whole end to end of the screen, though it feels natural and you don’t get any feeling of distortion in the image. I was using a 2011 iMac as my second screen before this one so the update for me is very large, might not be for some others on this group.

In terms of games compatibility, I’ve not found one that doesn’t work. I love playing F1 2018 on this screen. X-Plane 11 works great though had to change the FoV Stettin to get the best views out of the cockpit. Far Cry 5 give so much more perspective, DCS World works great, Company of Heroes 2 works well for an old games. I’ve tested and played others and so far even with this resolution and high settings, I don’t seem to see much drop off in frame rates.

I’ve also been messing around with Premier Pro as I wanted to start to learn this now I have this monitor, well, as you can imagine with a screen of this size and resolution, video editions becomes a thing of dreams, there is so much space to have all the different panels available and to see what’s going on in your timeline. I can see me doing lots of video work on this monitor.

For normal work, I regularly have 4 windows up on the screen at one time, email, skype, word, and powerpoint and there is enough real estate and resolution to make them easy to use together on one screen if you need to parallel process multiple apps at one time which is a normal use case for me and not to have to switch apps makes life so much easier.

I also tried to use this from my works Lenovo minimum spec laptop, and again it works great at the full resolution even though it must have a basic gfx card in it. Only downside for me with the laptop is when i close the lid the laptop forgets the screen and I have to re-arrange all my windows again. I’m sure there is some software out there to fix this.

I tried connecting from my Mac Book Pro (touchbar) and as the monitor doens’t have a USB connection I tried an adapter to connect the HDMI to the USB, this has not been successful and all I get is a very pink screen with my Mac screen display pink and blurry, could be the adapter or something else, haven’t tried anything further to diagnose as yet.

I also find that the monitor doesn't seem to wake up correctly when I’ve put my gaming rig to sleep and then bring it out of sleep, i have to using the little nobble on the bottom to switch the monitor off and then back on again.

In terms of screen colours, I’m no expert here, but the colours seem very natural all over the screen, there doesn’t seem to be any changes in colours across the screen or any breakdown in pixels that I can see at this point. I’ve left the screen at it’s default setting and am yet to set different profiles for each of the three profile buttons on the bottom of the screen.

So, all in all, I’ve extremely impressed, the screen works in exactly the same way I want it too and I’m a very happy customer and at £1249 it seems an absolute bargain to me for what you get for your money.

I’m typing this on a train as I have to be away for work for a couple of days and I’m dreading having to use an office 24 inch monitor for two days instead of my 49 inch beast.

If there’s anything specific anyone would like me to test/review, please let me know and I’ll do my best to provide information.

Cheers to OCUK for the monitor, very happy customer as always

Taff

Associate
@Supertaff, thank you.

If there’s anything specific anyone would like me to test/review, please let me know and I’ll do my best to provide information.

Do you know the number of dimming zones on this monitor and how they are located on the screen?

Is the monitor capable of turning backlight off on completely black vertical areas (while playing games or watching video in full screen mode with ratio < 32 : 9, for instance)?

Did you try some HDR content?

Photos of the monitor are welcomed :)

Back
Top Bottom