Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

Permabanned
The matrix drivers installed on mine as per the mobos instructions but 'bah' I didn't install latest. I think mine is ich9 so dirtydog do you have 2 in raid and if you do does write back cache work for you?

When I had raid running there was the error my boot driver not present or something like that. Could only boot when vista disk was in. I even went to the repair console in vista disk and startup repair. Didnt work and other probs too.

The 'advanced cache' works for me (single drive ICH7 non RAID) in Vista, and makes a difference in Vista, but in XP the option isn't available. Although by default in Vista it seems to be just as quick anyway.

Associate
Yes Mate, see below

I have been wondering if the Nvidia storage drivers may be affecting things ?
And also, are there any settings to change in the bios ? I will take a look.

Oh, lol, someone changed my name, haaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaa

Right, well it's probably worth looking at updating your storage drivers indeed.. These drives should perform better than what you are getting, unfortunately I'm not sure if this is just a limitation of the nvidia chipset or not.

Associate
the SLC ones that were selling for £115 at the same place offered slightly better performance than the MLC, someone showed comparison benchmarks between them

Yep, your right. I've got a feeling Jokester is right though, the older revision he's using weren't that fast on there own. It's surprising how quickly read/write speeds are improving.

A lot of it can be done with simple firmware changes too. Take for example the new firmware for the Vertex drives. In some cases the write speeds have shot up from 80Mb/sec -> 200Mb/sec.

I'm pretty sure Flash chips themselves aren't particularly fast, which is why they tend to use an internal raid like system to boost the speeds.

Associate
just tried the advanced cache write back change in xp with my single drive, to be honest it doesn't really make much difference, what do you think?

With advanced cache write
with_advanced.jpg

Without advanced cache write
withoutadvancedcache.jpg

Soldato
Anyone used this EWF GUI and got some feedback on it?

Going to reinstall as I ended up increasing boot time and caused some card games not to load after applying a load of registry tweaks. Gavotte Ramdisk (free) increased boot time massively, and SteadyState seemed a chore double rebooting. So just want a simple single solution for a single partitioned SSD. And even with the 512MB crash issue of EWF it looks a better option if it doesn't require multiple reboots.

Last edited:
Associate
just tried the advanced cache write back change in xp with my single drive, to be honest it doesn't really make much difference, what do you think?

With advanced cache write

Without advanced cache write

Hmmm, I'm not sure why exactly, but it doesn't see to have much effect on some systems. I'm not sure if Vista's implementation is better also.

Associate
Anyone used this EWF GUI and got some feedback on it?

Going to reinstall as I ended up increasing boot time and caused some card games not to load after applying a load of registry tweaks. Gavotte Ramdisk (free) increased boot time massively, and SteadyState seemed a chore double rebooting. So just want a simple single solution for a single partitioned SSD. And even with the 512MB crash issue of EWF it looks a better option if it doesn't require multiple reboots.

I haven't tried EWF, but I read about it on the OCZ forum. It sounds like a good tool except for the crashes. Let us know how you get on. I might give it a go if there is some positive feedback. But tbh I'm happy with my current setup.

Associate
if SLC are supposed to be better than mlc, how come the crucial slc ssd's are given an almost terrible write up in every review site? They're supposed to be so bad that i actually am thinking of buying a crucial slc as my last upgrade just out of sympathy for the company

Well, i was getting geared to buy my final sammy in a couple of weeks time to finish off the HDD upgrades but i see that, from the only online retailer where i know to get them from, that the price of the mlc drives have gone up from £100 now to £116.

by the way, when/if you're looking at buying these drives, i know i'm not allowed to discuss the competition (and am not sure if these quantify as competition or not) but whatever you do, do not turn to ebay out of desperation...

i just realised though, no bearing on content, but this has to be the longest thread discussion on the ocuk forums by now.

I have raided these two samsung drives together now, i have followed most of the tweak instructions regarding how to make ssd's perform better in windows vista and to be honest i have noticed very, very little difference between booting vista from a single drive or a raided drive, even though read/write performance seems to have been improved quite admirably due to the raid but it seems to have made very little difference in vista's reaction time. Games still load as quick, searches take just as long etc... altogether it is making me wonder if it would be worth buying a 3rd samsung for a 3 disk raid 0 setup or if i would be better buying one single, large drive like a vertex or a g.skill titan and just using one drive as a boot drive and the 2 raided samsungs as a games drive? One thing i am very impressed with though is video converting. Converting a standard 2 hour mpg video over to the AVI format takes only a few minutes on these drives when normally they could take 15-20 minutes on a standard magnetic drive.

Last edited:
Associate
Well the SLC version is slower, but you have less to worry about as regards write wearing and all the other issues that MLC drives suffer from.

Everyone is worried about write wearing. Chill out :)

According to some sources, 10,000 write cycles equates to writing 640TiB of data to the SSD. I dont see myself writing that amount of stuff to the device :)

Back
Top Bottom