Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

Associate
well that's good then I'm pleased for you.:D.

Yeah the mobo bios ..I run a dos prompt off a boot cd but I can't type anything lol - just the flashing cursor. Even though I can now use the keyboard more..etc intel matrix raid screen.

I want to upgrade the bios ideally cos I ran raid 0 and it was a nightmare..

The ssd even though the write are probs slow.. I say probs cos I'm not aware of it I love the silence of it and it's very quick loading things up - Windows is so much nippier. A great purchase I'm sure you won't be disappointed m8.

I now hate the sound of the normal hard drive lol!

Let me know how you get on with it. It is in a nice metal case - looks well made and :p lol

(To an earlier poster - yeah I got firefox 3 moved and did it the easier way .Thank you.)
I have asus mobo and there is section in bios to update from there...its advised to update bios from bios itself then windows. just put it on memory stick and update, very easy indeed :D
yeah just downloading windows 7 and gonna put it on SSD to see how it runs......did you see the price...its up by £15 :p Good i got mine on time
Coolio mate, will let you know how i get on ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
[timko];13677622 said:
Checked it this evening and the price has gone up today. Hopefully some of you guys sneaked in an order for some more before it went up :cool:

Yeah I bought two more Wed - one for the laptop and one more to put into RAID on the desktop. Glad I saw the price increase warning. :)

Associate
RAID 0 with regular HDDs can be little or no quicker at booting Windows or loading applications than a single drive, as these benches show... so I am wondering if SSD is different.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=2969&p=8

http://techreport.com/articles.x/9124/6

Yeah people quote those quite often, but they aren't actually true. RAID0 always feels faster loading stuff. anantech aren't exactly genius type people and prolly didn't set it to a good stripe\cluster size etc.

Associate
90872436.jpg

Permabanned
Yeah people quote those quite often, but they aren't actually true. RAID0 always feels faster loading stuff. anantech aren't exactly genius type people and prolly didn't set it to a good stripe\cluster size etc.

Do you have benchmarks, either your own or someone else's which prove otherwise? :)

Actually by benchmarks, what I mean is, use a stopwatch to determine the loading time of various apps, on a single drive versus two or more in RAID. Rather than synthetic benchmarks like ATTO.

Associate
Benchmarks

Here are my benchmarks for my new SSDs versus my old 74Gb Raptors both in Raid 0. The Samsung speeds dont seem as good as some posted on here so far, I have done all the obvious tweeks etc etc, Any suggestions ? I am running Vista 32bit

Thanks

1z6fprp.png
230g2.png

Edited in so you don't lose it all...
Asus Striker2 Formula E3611, Intel Q9450,2 x EVGA - Nvidia GeForce 9800 GTX SLI, 2GB Corsair XMS 6400 DDR2 800MHz Ram, 2 x 74GB Sata WD Raptors Raid 0, 2 x 500GB Sata WD Raid 1, 2 x 500Gb Sata Samsung HD501LJ Raid 1, LG H20L Blue-Ray HL-DT-ST BD-RE GGW-H20L SATA, TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S202J ATA, TSSTcorp DVD-ROM,SHD162C, Samsung 2232BW, Windows Vista Ultimate 32bit

Last edited:
Soldato
I ran the PCMark05 HDD tests on a single drive, it scored 14,874.

As promised, here's mine...

tko264pcmm.gif

As for the RAID-0 results, I think it's safe to ignore the virus-scanning score.

---------------------| Single drive -----| RAID-0 -----|
General usage -------| 42.157MB/s + 133% = 98.226MB/s
File write ----------| 76.159MB/s + 100% = 152.318MB/s
XP startup ----------| 75.413MB/s + 45% = 109.348MB/s
Application loading -| 67.927MB/s + 38% = 93.739MB/s
-------------------------------------------------------|
(nb. percentage figures are rounded)

So, according to PCMark, general usage and file writes show the most improvement. XP startup and application loading still show an increase but not quite to the same extent.

I suspect you still had your single SSD partitioned in two and reasonably full hence your lower single drive score. Mine are still blank which would be why my single drive results are higher.

Soldato
Originally Posted by LeJimster
Mental B*stard -> Turn write back cache (advanced cache option) on. It's been discussed plenty.

When I had raid 0 enabled it wouldn't all me to edit this - said writing not enabled or something.

With a single ssd it works.

Anyone else find this happening or can you all enable it on raid?

Associate
Originally Posted by LeJimster
Mental B*stard -> Turn write back cache (advanced cache option) on. It's been discussed plenty.

When I had raid 0 enabled it wouldn't all me to edit this - said writing not enabled or something.

With a single ssd it works.

Anyone else find this happening or can you all enable it on raid?

Can't really help you with that as it works on mine. The only suggestions I can offer is make sure your OS is up-to-date and the intel matrix drivers are the latest if your using an Intel based mobo, otherwise make sure your RAID drivers are up-to-date.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Can't really help you with that as it works on mine. The only suggestions I can offer is make sure your OS is up-to-date and the intel matrix drivers are the latest if your using an Intel based mobo, otherwise make sure your RAID drivers are up-to-date.

Incidentally the Intel Matrix drivers don't work for ICH7 mobos, but maybe my board is ancient technology eh ;)

Associate
Are you sure? Because your results look very similar to mine WITHOUT write back cache turned on. --> See my original post

Yes Mate, see below

eivwjc.png

I have been wondering if the Nvidia storage drivers may be affecting things ?
And also, are there any settings to change in the bios ? I will take a look.

Oh, lol, someone changed my name, haaaahaaaaahaaaaahaaaa

Last edited:
Soldato
Incidentally the Intel Matrix drivers don't work for ICH7 mobos, but maybe my board is ancient technology eh ;)

The matrix drivers installed on mine as per the mobos instructions but 'bah' I didn't install latest. I think mine is ich9 so dirtydog do you have 2 in raid and if you do does write back cache work for you?

When I had raid running there was the error my boot driver not present or something like that. Could only boot when vista disk was in. I even went to the repair console in vista disk and startup repair. Didnt work and other probs too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom