Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

Soldato
my sammys under Server x64 2008, better results than i see under Vista 64 - like pretty much everything else.

60760259.jpg

Associate
Also LeJimster, can you give me more details in regards the the cradle your using for the Samsungs, I've got an 900 case as well and that looked like a good set up for them. I know you can't provide me with a competitor, but couldn't find the product anywhere based on the description in the picture post.

Try googling StarTech 2.5

Permabanned
HD Tach results are virtually halved now, compared to when the drive was new and empty:

2ppmphc.png

Although the ATTO results are the same as ever.

10qj7fn.png

Last edited:
Soldato
HD Tach results are virtually halved now, compared to when the drive was new and empty:

Servo has told you that HDTach has issues with blank SSDs (regardless of brand)...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=13646043&postcount=190

The advertised maximum speeds for the Samsung MLC are around 100Mb/s read and 80Mb/s write. Your original HDTach result here...

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=13645958&postcount=188

...shows the bug creeping in and your current result is more accurate (and in line with advertised speeds for a single drive) now that you have some content on there.

Like Servo said before, stick to ATTO or at the very least don't use HDTach for an empty SSD :)

Soldato
SSDs in RAID totally worth it over a Velociraptor! :)

It'll be OS X software RAID tho :/

I am soooo tempted tho...

*Does more research*

Ok if I got two of these in software RAID 0, how long would they last before they kick the bucket?

Lets say 12 hours a day usage?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the write usage of 10000 writes. So 128gb in raid would be 1280000 gb of writing. If you keep half spare of the disk it gives you 640000gb of writing. I'm sure on that basis it'll last a while. That calculation sounds good doesn't it - and therefore the longevity wouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
Associate
Ok, picked up two of the drives today. I work 15 minutes away from one of the outlets.

Decided not to go with the i7 upgrades at this point, even though the geek in me wants to get them I think I can hold off until the prices drop a bit, as in reality I don't need the extra ooomf. Tthough I'm sure Empire Total War would play a little better.

Cheers for the info LeJimster I'll be putting an order in for one of them looks like a neat way to mount them.

I'm going to try to start an install this evening of Vista 64 on them. Do I need to go through this whole thread to find the best way to carry out the install or is there a concise 1,2,3.... instructions somewhere else.

Cheers

Taff

Soldato
It's funny reading this thread how much OCZ forum is referenced. Once SSD prices fall considerably I'll probably get a larger OCZ model to reward them for the resource :)

Soldato
[timko];13704520 said:
Marcsay, have you tried enabling "Advance performance" in the device manager?

yeh of course, i've always used that for all my drives ...since forever ;)

under Server 2008 the speeds at the top end are slightly lower versus Vista but they're faster where it matters for general OS usage.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's the write usage of 10000 writes. So 128gb in raid would be 1280000 gb of writing. If you keep half spare of the disk it gives you 640000gb of writing. I'm sure on that basis it'll last a while. That calculation sounds good doesn't it - and therefore the longevity wouldn't be an issue.

longetivity is blown way out of proportion by ppl who have no idea what they're talking about - under even moderate/high usage most users will replace them with newer/better models before they die anyway and if you're super careful with them they should run happily for years.

Associate
Got two of these in my main machine, and TBH not that impressed. The speed is there, but i just want to 'fit and forget' and not have to worry about tweaking, movind cahes off them etc, so will be selling them on at what i paid (ie the lower price :D), and going back to my raided Raptors.

Just need to build up some more posts so i can post in the FS forum now (how many posts is it these days?)

Permabanned
Got two of these in my main machine, and TBH not that impressed. The speed is there, but i just want to 'fit and forget' and not have to worry about tweaking, movind cahes off them etc, so will be selling them on at what i paid (ie the lower price :D), and going back to my raided Raptors.

Just need to build up some more posts so i can post in the FS forum now (how many posts is it these days?)

Hmm I don't think you'll be selling them on here matey :p

The tweaking you need to do is minimal and only needs doing once. You don't need to move browser caches etc. if you don't want to.

Associate
Managed to get the base Vista 64 OS Installed last night and applied the tweaks from the OCZ forums. e.g. Ramdrive.

Vista now boots approx 15 secs to the log in screen(after BIOS post)

Then once log in details provided it is extremly quick getting into a stage where the system is able to be used.

Will try to post some stats tonight and do some comparisons between the Velociraptor and F1 thats also in the machine.

Easy to install, get delivery of the mounting case that LeMinster gave me details of tomorrow.

Taff

Back
Top Bottom