Samsung 64GB 2.5" SATA-II MLC Solid State Hard Drive

Soldato
took the plunge, followed the OCZ forum thing almost to the letter so now I have 2 x 64GB SSD in RAID 0 with a 128kb stripe and 64kb offset, write back cache enabled etc etc.

Fresh install of vista 64 and it all looks good, feels very snappy.

I'll give the benchmarks a crack tonight, what sort of numbers should I be expecting?

Soldato
I re-installed Vista fresh on my SSD's after doing the drive alignment but now the system seems to hang quite a bit, I'm running 128kb stripe and 128kb offset, is this wrong? Would this cause the freezing problems I'm having?

If I was going to change the stripe could I ghost my OS onto a spare drive then re-align the SSD's and ghost the image back or would I need a fresh install?

Last edited:
Associate
Hi Leminster,

Have received the mounting bay, one thing I forgot to ask you was how you managed to get the bay mounted into the standard grill of the Antec 900.

Did you do DIY to get it to fit into the grill or is there a third party grill available to mount it in.

I've had a look on the Overclockers site and can't find one.

Cheers again for yor assistance.

Taff

Soldato
I re-installed Vista fresh on my SSD's after doing the drive alignment but now the system seems to hang quite a bit, I'm running 128kb stripe and 128kb offset, is this wrong? Would this cause the freezing problems I'm having?

If I was going to change the stripe could I ghost my OS onto a spare drive then re-align the SSD's and ghost the image back or would I need a fresh install?

I can't see the stripe and offset causing the hanging.

I'm sure you would need a fresh install for the drive to be re-aligned again.

Soldato
stupid apple keyboard can't do print screen..

Just run the atto benchmark and on the 32 to 8192 tests I'm getting about 160mbs write and 190mbs read.

Is that where it should be?

Soldato
sweet, just ran mine again and it comes out slightly higher than that.

Did i see somewhere there's an indexing/defragging function I need to switch off?

Associate
I've taken the plunge with a pair of the 64GB beauties raided up, tweaked per above, offset, stripe size etc...it's certainly snappy, everything opens instantly.

HD Tach is showing average reads at 180, bursts at upto 1700!

How do you all post the screen prints, Ctrl-ALT-print screen doesn't seem to work for me.

Soldato
Associate
[timko];13747845 said:
I

Also, the high burst speed is a bug in HDTach that occurs when using that app to bench empty SSDs.

Thanks re the alt-prtscrn.

It's not empty, it has Vista 64 Ultimate on it.

I've set up a 110 gb partition for os and set aside 10 gb as scratch disc for Photoshop, anyone else does anything like this?

Associate
Hi Leminster,

Have received the mounting bay, one thing I forgot to ask you was how you managed to get the bay mounted into the standard grill of the Antec 900.

Did you do DIY to get it to fit into the grill or is there a third party grill available to mount it in.

I've had a look on the Overclockers site and can't find one.

Cheers again for yor assistance.

Taff

Sorry m8, only just noticed your post.

You should have a floppy drive mounting kit with a precut hole for the 2.5 drive bay? It came with my Antec 900 at least.

Antec-900-2-Bundle.jpg

Associate
Thanks re the alt-prtscrn.

It's not empty, it has Vista 64 Ultimate on it.

I've set up a 110 gb partition for os and set aside 10 gb as scratch disc for Photoshop, anyone else does anything like this?

If you still got a regular HDD, i would recommend reclaiming the partition you've made for the scratch disk (and merge it with your system partition if possible) and just move the scratch disk to the HDD. Unless you're not bothered about the longevity of your drive.

At least, thats the way I run my system and it's still very fast.

Associate
If you still got a regular HDD, i would recommend reclaiming the partition you've made for the scratch disk (and merge it with your system partition if possible) and just move the scratch disk to the HDD. Unless you're not bothered about the longevity of your drive.

At least, thats the way I run my system and it's still very fast.

The old longevity question...to be safe I'll move the scratch disk off the ssd's and onto another hd, tbf I kind of though this was a bad idea just after I did it, i.e. no page file on ssd, no indexing.

I've just been doing some tidying up on old os partition, i.e running from hd, very sluggish, I'm not going back now unless I have to.

Associate
Sorry m8, only just noticed your post.

You should have a floppy drive mounting kit with a precut hole for the 2.5 drive bay? It came with my Antec 900 at least.

]

Cheers for the response mate. I bought my system pre-built from overclockers and I don't remember seeing one of those in the box of bits they gave me with the system. I'll have another look through the box, otherwise I'll get in touch with Overclockers and see if they have one lying around they can send me.

Regards

Taff

Back
Top Bottom