Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Took a few twilight shots today and definitely saw the noise in the photos compared to the Pixel 8 pro.

Hopefully fixed soon in software as the rest of the phone is brilliant, they won't want to tarnish their reputation with the competition heating up with Google and OnePlus on the rise again.

Soldato
Pic as requested

Both on max brightness (without using "extra brightness" button or whatever its called)

No smart switch. And adaptive colour tone switched on, on the S24U

At regular "auto brightness" whites truly look terrible and very not white.

Last edited:
Soldato
Pic as requested

Both on max brightness (without using "extra brightness" button or whatever its called)

I noticed with full screen white it dimmed the hell out of it, this is the kind of thing full OLED monitors do, because full white on OLED can get blindingly bright, they attempt to dim it instead.

You should turn adaptive off though (colour tone if this is what you used), it seems to make things more warm. Adaptive brightness is something else.

Last edited:
Soldato
If I remember, I'll do this later when I set mine up

But bear in mind peak brightness is much higher on the S24U (on paper at least)
Don't believe hype until gsmarena does the screen brightness testing.

All these peak hdr 1% brightness numbers are useless. Like oneplus touting 4500nits peak.
the standard 75% white screen test in manual.... it scored 794nits where the best the top tier phones scored almost 1000.

And in auto 1156 nits vs 1800 respectively. So OnePlus pulling the wool over the eyes of the sea of useless YT reviewers touting it's the brightest screen.

Last edited:
Soldato
I noticed with full screen white it dimmed the hell out of it, this is the kind of thing full OLED monitors do, because full white on OLED can get blindingly bright, they attempt to dim it instead.

You should turn adaptive off though (colour tone if this is what you used), it seems to make things more warm. Adaptive brightness is something else.
Another with adaptive colour tone off

The difference between the two is far less noticeable

Soldato
Another with adaptive colour tone off

The difference between the two is far less noticeable

Wonder how much the anti glare screen has to do with it

Soldato
Yep those two look fairly close there.
Adjusting the cool to warm slider in the display settings, all the way to cool, helps a lot.

Although yes of course on the S23U it's bang in the middle and still looks white. The S24U requires it to be right over to the left side to look white.

But it does 'solve' the issue

Soldato
Took a few twilight shots today and definitely saw the noise in the photos compared to the Pixel 8 pro.

Hopefully fixed soon in software as the rest of the phone is brilliant, they won't want to tarnish their reputation with the competition heating up with Google and OnePlus on the rise again.
The quicker Samsung drop the silly 200MP count and just stick to 50MP, bigger sensor and processing the better.

Soldato
Soldato
Re scrteen

Some chat on here about it you just need to translate

and xda

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Is anyone brave enough to show us some sample pics yet? :)
I was out after work today walking around taking pics and vids. Ignore the IMGur JPEG compression :o

N8I7gcQ.jpeg
eyvAoeo.jpeg
XRKAf8Y.jpeg

These were edited in Lightroom Mobile, nothing major, just the colour grading which is my default style for everything whether phone or DSLR. The original for say the water one above is here for reference on what it looks like out of the box:

1tgIqrN.jpeg

Video with 4k60fps going from 0.6x to 30x zoom. The 30x is most impressive as anything above 5x is digital, so that 50MP sensor crop is being utilised quite well indeed.

@mrk do you still have your S23U?

If you do (or anyone else) can you put brightness on full whack on both and share a side by side please? On the same colour mode (Vivid)

Also interested in this, on the double please @mrk !
Sadly on its way to phone recycling as of today!

Pic as requested

I couldn't live with that screen on the right, it's too brown/yellow.
The true colour tone mode is supposed to be similar to Apple's true colour mode that uses ambient lighting around you to determine what the best colour tone output of the display should be in relation to that. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but if you simply put it side by side with a model without that feature then yes it looks way off, but like all things luminance/colour based, at first it seems off but once your eyes adjust, that's when it makes sense as to why it looks the way it does. It's like a more advanced blue light filter. I think a lot of people are seeing this for the first time and are not immediately swayed by it due to this reason.

To my eyes it looks fine, it's like when you calibrate a monitor, the moment you look at it vs a non-calibrated one the calibrated one looks too warm, but it is in actual fact 6500K and your eyes adjust to it in due course. After that point any other screen looks too "blue" if that makes sense or too vibrant.

Of course it could also be that a batch do have dodgy calibration/readings when true colour is enabled ...

Reactions: W50
Soldato
To my eyes it looks fine, it's like when you calibrate a monitor, the moment you look at it vs a non-calibrated one the calibrated one looks too warm, but it is in actual fact 6500K and your eyes adjust to it in due course. After that point any other screen looks too "blue" if that makes sense or too vibrant.

At night it goes super warm, it's like that lux thing people used to make monitors warmer at night.

The QD-Oled screens we have use a pretty cool palette but are able to remove most of the blue light with tech, definitely prefer a cooler tone and removal of the blue light.

W50

W50

Associate

Hopefully fixed soon in software as the rest of the phone is brilliant, they won't want to tarnish their reputation with the competition heating up with Google and OnePlus on the rise aga

I was out after work today walking around taking pics and vids. Ignore the IMGur JPEG compression :o

N8I7gcQ.jpeg
eyvAoeo.jpeg
XRKAf8Y.jpeg

These were edited in Lightroom Mobile, nothing major, just the colour grading which is my default style for everything whether phone or DSLR. The original for say the water one above is here for reference on what it looks like out of the box:

1tgIqrN.jpeg

Video with 4k60fps going from 0.6x to 30x zoom. The 30x is most impressive as anything above 5x is digital, so that 50MP sensor crop is being utilised quite well indeed.

Sadly on its way to phone recycling as of today!

The true colour tone mode is supposed to be similar to Apple's true colour mode that uses ambient lighting around you to determine what the best colour tone output of the display should be in relation to that. Maybe it works, maybe it doesn't, but if you simply put it side by side with a model without that feature then yes it looks way off, but like all things luminance/colour based, at first it seems off but once your eyes adjust, that's when it makes sense as to why it looks the way it does. It's like a more advanced blue light filter. I think a lot of people are seeing this for the first time and are not immediately swayed by it due to this reason.

Of course it could also be that a batch do have dodgy calibration/readings when true colour is enabled ...
Thanks, some good looking photos there.
The third picture appears to have quite a bit of noise, but otherwise pretty good.

Man of Honour
Yeah there is more noise than the S23 Ultra had, but low light noise did improve on the S23 Ultra too as updates rolled in I remember.

Edit*

Who else has an organised app drawer? :p

HRIvvWi.jpeg

The unfoldered ones are only installed for testing, then gone!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom