Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Soldato
Okay. Just tried a new 60fps record and send and it's fine again. I couldn't do hdr as it's not an option on with 60fps on pixel.
Yeah I went and killed hdr in editor and saved as sdr h.264 and it's fine on WhatsApp. So what ever format Samsung used for for their their hdr10 videos is not compatible with WhatsApp. Not great.

Last edited:
Soldato
I managed to hide the gesture bar but not that straightforward and requires a few steps

Update: You don't need to use my method to hide the Nav bar, NavStar has released an update to hide Nav.

SystemUI Tuner
Shizuku

To use SystemUI Tuner you need to grant it permission using Shizuku

Once you have SystemUI Tuner up and running:

Select UI
zieVEkF.jpeg

Immersive Mode
BZQluIV.jpeg

Nav
FScI8Zb.jpeg

Last edited:
Can't type for toffee
Don
Any noticed how warm S24U gets charging, just normal not fast. My sons gets quite warm too
Aye just came in here wiht that as one of My questions haha!

Wether I charge via cable or wireless in the car pickign the phone back up it is very wam.

Currently got a Spigen Tough Armor magsafe on it and it just doesn't seem to be the usual quality of the spigens.
I also wanted to protect the camera lenses but the Spigen lens protectors don't work specifically with this case >.>

What cases are people using? I like the cmaera slide looking ones but the Spigen one I had delivered as well as a random amazon brand seemed very flimsy
Thin Id pprefer a harder case with lens protectors

Associate
Apart from Lockstar, which does not seem to be available to the S24 at this stage, is there another way of adding more stuff to the AOD screen? I'd like to add more, and also make everything a bit bigger (clock, calendar, or even notification icons) - at stock they are very small..

Any other applications that can do this for you?

Associate
Can anyone recommend a tempered glass screen protector which doesn't render the fingerprint reader unusable ? Not really interested in the Whitestone dome because I don't like the idea of putting glue on my screen

Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato
Been over 24 hrs with the S24+ , can't say I am noticing a huge improvement in day to day activities over the S21+

Exynos vs qualcomm

Associate
The slow motion in videos where you keep your finger on the screen, does the video have to have been recorded on the S24U & does it have to be opened with Samsung gallery

I tried a video I recoded on my S23U & it didn't slow down.

Am I missing something?

Soldato
The slow motion in videos where you keep your finger on the screen, does the video have to have been recorded on the S24U & does it have to be opened with Samsung gallery

I tried a video I recoded on my S23U & it didn't slow down.

Am I missing something?

It seems to be random. I just tried it out myself and it worked on some videos and not others, it did work on videos from years ago and not with some more recent ones.

Soldato
Last edited:
Soldato
Thanks for confirming! I swipe to go back. So it might get annoying
I've turned off the gestures menu and went back to the old fashioned 3 buttons at the bottom because running my finger over the edge starts to feel like a paper cut on the top of my thumb after a while.

Genuinely tempted to buy a Spigen one and see if they are any better.

Soldato
Just went to preorder and noticed the watch offer isn't on anymore. V annoying! 2 days ago through my work save portal it was under £800 for the S24U plus watch upgraded to 1TB. Now it's £896 with no watch. No deal for me.

Soldato
I've turned off the gestures menu and went back to the old fashioned 3 buttons at the bottom because running my finger over the edge starts to feel like a paper cut on the top of my thumb after a while.

Genuinely tempted to buy a Spigen one and see if they are any better.
Got the privacy version of the ESR arriving tomorrow. I can let you know how it is once fitted and tested fingerprint reader

Man of Honour
@grudas

I just sent a video clip over WhatsApp on the Pixel and other than lower bitrate and lower res it looked fine. No blown out highlights or change in colours etc.

Edit. Shot in non HDR.

Edit 2. Just tried a fresh HDR video I shot and sent over WA and still no issues.
That's probably because on Samsung when you send a HDR photo or video, OneUI converts it to SDR when sharing to non HDR supported apps like WhatsApp. If you attach the HDR video using the WA built in sharing feature, then that bypasses the OS integrated share sheet and thus the conversion process.

There's a setting specifically for this on the S23 Ultra that I saw last year and just left it on, iirc it's in Samsung Gallery settings or somewhere like that.

Been out and about today and took some more photos:
PEvWu1K.jpeg
OWrGqci.jpeg
OPrwg3h.jpeg
BnvLq1B.jpeg

There's a mode in Expert RAW called ND Filter (it's been there since the S23 Ultra too but just never noticed it), which then gives you various ND graduated filters to apply, it mimics actual ND grads and seems to work quite well for long exposures during the day. I suspect it's using some AI algo to do what it does with exposure stacking:
XFSQ69C.jpeg

Also, I highly recommend using One Handed Operations+, it's a game changer, been using it since getting the S23 Ultra and my navigation of Android has been greatly enhanced to the point the bottom navbar may as well not exist really other than to use the home button gesture only. This has allowed me to not really care now that Samsung removed the standard 3 segment navigation gestures on OneUI 6.1, my config:

qMDrRPs.jpeg

I actually prefer OHO+'s task switcher to the Android one, it's simpler, neater...

hMZlLVG.jpeg

Reactions: W50
Soldato
I managed to hide the gesture bar but not that straightforward and requires a few steps

Update: You don't need to use my method to hide the Nav bar, NavStar has released an update to hide Nav.

SystemUI Tuner
Shizuku

To use SystemUI Tuner you need to grant it permission using Shizuku

Once you have SystemUI Tuner up and running:

Select UI
zieVEkF.jpeg

Immersive Mode
BZQluIV.jpeg

Nav
FScI8Zb.jpeg
This is great, thank you

@mrk will like this