Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Soldato
Yeah despite always going back to Samsung, I'm generally not a fan of their processing on the camera front.

Scene optimiser is always off as that oversaturates like crazy and most of the time finding myself sliding exposure slider down as everything is too bright.

iPhone is probably still the one for point and click shooting without doing any tweaking.

It's when you start tweaking or editing files from RAW Expert where Samsung starts to shine but that's a whole step not even I can be bothered with sometimes.

If I'm ever planning to take pictures in "pro mode" - iOS I just grab my sony camera and shoot in raw with a much more capable glass/sensor etc combo so to be real with you, over last couple of years I have maybe taken one raw shot on a phone.

Soldato
Soldato
Yeah despite always going back to Samsung, I'm generally not a fan of their processing on the camera front.

Scene optimiser is always off as that oversaturates like crazy and most of the time finding myself sliding exposure slider down as everything is too bright.

iPhone is probably still the one for point and click shooting without doing any tweaking.

It's when you start tweaking or editing files from RAW Expert where Samsung starts to shine but that's a whole step not even I can be bothered with sometimes.
Pixel is defo the point and shooter

Associate
i went with the 11.25% on the last offer and it tracked at 2.25%. i have put a clam in.
The issue with that deal was they were very deceptive with what the actual rate was, it said up to 11.25%(or higher if you were premium) for a S24, but you were never going to get that high because the rate for mobiles/tablets/wearables was only 2.25% and that's the rate they use. That rate seems the same again today.

I put a highest cashback claim in against tcb but I dunno if it'll go through.

Soldato
Can those with S24 Ultra confirm for sure, if you're in an area full of kids, and you take a picture, can you see all the kids, or are they a blurry mess? Summary: Has shutter lag been resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Soldato
If anyone has missed it, GSMArena's S24's battery tests are ready giving some very direct comparison to Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 in S23:

Unlike S22's Exynos 2200, this year's Exynos 2400 is for once good with modern power efficiency of CPU and GPU with especially video playback being effcient.
But Samsung's modem/network connectivity parts are inferior to Qualcomm and for its 2½% bigger battery, S24's call time drops 20% from S23.
That doesn't hint great for standby time either...

Which is issue in my current S8, which sucks absolutely ridiculous 1% per hour for doing nothing except maintaining standby network connection...
Unless I disable 4G network halving standby draw to more reasonable lever.
But even that is still worser than in previous Snapdragon based Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with 4G enabled.
So looks like for my requirements Samsung as much downgraded as upgraded S24 from S23.

While on other side basing on Notebookcheck's review also Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 has major amount improved video playback efficiency from least year's Gen 2:
Xiaomi 14 beats last year's Xiaomi 13 by good margin in endurance despite of higher resolution screen.
And in general at least matches even Xperia 5 V in fixed workloads.

Any updates on the camera front? Unfair comparison until these updates?
Still same camera hardware/configuration from S22 in both S24 and S24+ with tweaking in processing.

Again Ultra got shorter optics tele but with bigger sensor normally used in pixel binning mode.
While cropping to 12MP equals to S23U's tele in principle, in practise quad Bayer sensor doesn't have as high per pixel resolution.

Associate
Can those with S24 Ultra confirm for sure, if you're in an area full of kids, and you take a picture, can you see all the kids, or are they a blurry mess? Summary: Has shutter lag been resolved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sadly no as reviews and my own experience has found when trying to take photos of my kids collecting their new belts after grading the other day, barely moving and still poor.

Real review also confirmed, I can get stunning still.shots with the s24u , anything with motion is a gamble

Soldato
Why?
What's wrong with it?
Just does not work well with my fingerprints the moment my thumb or fingers lose moisture whether that be going outside in the cold, after washing hands etc. Also the one I had on wasn't anti glare so couldn't reap the benefits of that anti glare screen.

I may try the Samsung official SP otherwise will go without one.

Soldato
Sadly no as reviews and my own experience has found when trying to take photos of my kids collecting their new belts after grading the other day, barely moving and still poor.

Real review also confirmed, I can get stunning still.shots with the s24u , anything with motion is a gamble
That's so disappointing and ridiculous at the same time.

Associate
That's so disappointing and ridiculous at the same time.
Hopefully a software fix will come but I'm confused why Samsung don't sort this out as it's happened over the last few generations, probably the pointless 200mp sensor which is the issue and it's widely mentioned as a downer on their phones.

Still, in fairness you can get some great still shots and lovely videos with the phone for balance

Soldato
Hopefully a software fix will come but I'm confused why Samsung don't sort this out as it's happened over the last few generations, probably the pointless 200mp sensor which is the issue and it's widely mentioned as a downer on their phones.

Still, in fairness you can get some great still shots and lovely videos with the phone for balance
It's the main issue that's got me on a fencepost the thickness of a needle between this phone and the iPhone 15 Pro Max.

Associate
Anyway having delays on notifications at all, certain ones especially Google home doorbell notifications come in late, trying changing home to non optimised in the battery settings

Soldato
If anyone has missed it, GSMArena's S24's battery tests are ready giving some very direct comparison to Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 in S23:

Unlike S22's Exynos 2200, this year's Exynos 2400 is for once good with modern power efficiency of CPU and GPU with especially video playback being effcient.
But Samsung's modem/network connectivity parts are inferior to Qualcomm and for its 2½% bigger battery, S24's call time drops 20% from S23.
That doesn't hint great for standby time either...

Which is issue in my current S8, which sucks absolutely ridiculous 1% per hour for doing nothing except maintaining standby network connection...
Unless I disable 4G network halving standby draw to more reasonable lever.
But even that is still worser than in previous Snapdragon based Sony Xperia Z3 Compact with 4G enabled.
So looks like for my requirements Samsung as much downgraded as upgraded S24 from S23.

While on other side basing on Notebookcheck's review also Snapdragon 8 Gen 3 has major amount improved video playback efficiency from least year's Gen 2:
Xiaomi 14 beats last year's Xiaomi 13 by good margin in endurance despite of higher resolution screen.
And in general at least matches even Xperia 5 V in fixed workloads.

Still same camera hardware/configuration from S22 in both S24 and S24+ with tweaking in processing.

Again Ultra got shorter optics tele but with bigger sensor normally used in pixel binning mode.
While cropping to 12MP equals to S23U's tele in principle, in practise quad Bayer sensor doesn't have as high per pixel resolution.
New and more efficient screen on the S24 over the 23. So can't just put it all don't to new SoC.

Back
Top Bottom