Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Apparently the software update is due Feb 22nd.

I'm still amazed they shipped the camera as it is, it's a tweak of what they've had and surely they realised people would have kicked off.

Having used for 3 weeks, biggest challenges are :

- Shutter lag on anything moving (not running or fast). Played around with all the settings but it's still subpar.
- In natural daylight the camera performs great, under artificial light even if bright it there is lots of graining
- Colour accuracy is still off.

Ironic that most of the YouTubers said all of these were fixed when they got their mitts on them. Now the real photo test by people that are taking time to test are highlighting these .

Just goes to show, you cannot trust supersaf and the others . Rest of the phone including the display I find brilliant but the camera is a big let down in it's current state

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm still amazed they shipped the camera as it is, it's a tweak of what they've had and surely they realised people would have kicked off.
Certainly this kind big telephoto white balance issue should have been easy to detect:

Man of Honour
Seeing posts on reddit about grainy screen, and some outlets state their screens are grainy too, but it's not widespread. It's mostly noticed on grey screens, my brightness is at 50% for ref and colour tone/eye comfort are off.

Mine seems fine:

S24_SCREEN_2024.02.15_1657-08_00002.jpg

Associate

Having used for 3 weeks, biggest challenges are :

- Shutter lag on anything moving (not running or fast). Played around with all the settings but it's still subpar.
- In natural daylight the camera performs great, under artificial light even if bright it there is lots of graining
- Colour accuracy is still off.

Ironic that most of the YouTubers said all of these were fixed when they got their mitts on them. Now the real photo test by people that are taking time to test are highlighting these .

Just goes to show, you cannot trust supersaf and the others . Rest of the phone including the display I find brilliant but the camera is a big let down in it's current state
I haven't trusted supersaf, mkbhd or tom the tech chap for years. All bought by apple.

Man of Honour
Apple aren't immune, they regularly have to release multiple updates to each new phone to fix bugs that should never have left QC, from overheating phones to signal loss or camera issues etc. It's all the norm these days, fast release to hit a deadline, release updates to patch things up.

Happens with game releases nearly 100% of the time.

Last edited:
Associate
seems like a right slap in the face with them giving exynos for EU after watching this not like they giving any discount on it

GSMarena battery tests also picked up poor talk time compared to the SD S23, Exynos 2400 looks OK apart from WAN performance and running hotter with intensive things (plus the white balance I hope they fix with the patch)

Soldato
Seeing posts on reddit about grainy screen, and some outlets state their screens are grainy too, but it's not widespread. It's mostly noticed on grey screens, my brightness is at 50% for ref and colour tone/eye comfort are off.
Mine is only noticeable around 10% with extra dimming on in a dark room. I use my phone before bed at the lowest brightness and the grain is very noticeable.

Man of Honour
See maybe that's where the difference is. I tend to never use a phone below 20% brightness. If it's happening at such low brightness then that indicates it could well be a firmware issue that can be fixed with an update. Samsung have fixed screen issues in the past with an update, no reason it can't be done again if they're being overly aggressive with the dimming output or refresh or something like that when below a certain brightness.

Associate
S24 Ultra does get dimmer than my previous phones.

My Xperia 1 IV would exhibit smearing when scrolling pages with dark elements, which is an inherent trait of OLED panels (and VA panels too). I've not noticed that on this S24 Ultra screen, even with it set dimmer than the 1 IV would go.

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
See maybe that's where the difference is. I tend to never use a phone below 20% brightness. If it's happening at such low brightness then that indicates it could well be a firmware issue that can be fixed with an update. Samsung have fixed screen issues in the past with an update, no reason it can't be done again if they're being overly aggressive with the dimming output or refresh or something like that when below a certain brightness.
Definitely depends on everyone's preferences. I saw you said you have eye comfort shield off, whereas I have it on 24/7 and don't ever plan to disable it (especially when vivid mode is finally fixed) as it's so much easier on the eye.

I also lower the brightness more if I'm in bed about to sleep, but can't say I notice any graininess myself, unless I'm looking at the wrong place.

Either way hopefully this update will fix a lot of these issues people are having.

Soldato
Went for a meal with the missus last night in a nice atmospheric restaurant but not dimly lit. We took a lot of photos. It was the first time I've really used my S24 plus camera ,my missus has an iphone 14 pro.

All my photos are awful. None in focus, very blurry and any lights captured in the background are just a washed out mess.
The photos look more like an AI generated cartoon.

The missus iPhone photos are outstanding in comparison.

Embarrassing really for a brand new £1000 phone.My S21 ultra camera was way better.

Last edited:
Soldato
Went for a meal with the missus last night in a nice atmospheric restaurant but not dimly lit. We took a lot of photos. It was the first time I've really used my S24 plus camera ,my missus has an iphone 14 pro.

All my photos are awful. None in focus, very blurry and any lights captured in the background are just a washed out mess.
The photos look more like an AI generated cartoon.

The missus iPhone photos are outstanding in comparison.

Embarrassing really for a brand new £1000 phone.My S21 ultra camera was way better.
Post some examples. They can't be that bad surely.

Then again.... Samsung.

Associate
Got really frustrated with my s24Ultra ( not entirely sure why ) and ended up putting it on eBay. After two hours of having every idiot under the sun try to lowball with offers and generally waste my time, I withdrew the sale and kept the phone .

Worst case, if this year's ends up being a dog simply trade it for the next one with all the offers they do .

Did a complete reinstall with smart switch and spent several hours tweaking, quite happy with it now and have no issues apart from the cameras (I'm guessing they will fix most of them over time)

Got my pixel 8 pro which is equally good and will keep one as a back up should one get lost or broken

Associate
Got really frustrated with my s24Ultra ( not entirely sure why ) and ended up putting it on eBay. After two hours of having every idiot under the sun try to lowball with offers and generally waste my time, I withdrew the sale and kept the phone .

Worst case, if this year's ends up being a dog simply trade it for the next one with all the offers they do .

Did a complete reinstall with smart switch and spent several hours tweaking, quite happy with it now and have no issues apart from the cameras (I'm guessing they will fix most of them over time)

Got my pixel 8 pro which is equally good and will keep one as a back up should one get lost or broken
Can you give us more detail as to why you have got frustrated with the S24U?

What has the reinstall fixed that was wrong before.

You must be really fed up of the S24U to have put it on eBay so soon, we have only had it 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Associate
Can you give us more detail as to why you have frustrated with the S24U?

What has the reinstall fixed that was wrong before.

You must be really fed up of the S24U to have put it on eBay so soon, we have only had it 2 weeks.
Was just having a bad day and the Pixel 8 pro is very good so decided I didn't need the s24 ultra and to put the money back in the bank.

Having dealt with the reality of people on eBay again and the hassle decided it's not worth it and they will probably just fix it

It's mainly camera I have an issue with tbh . Rest of the phone is fine and it's just first world problems .

Complete reinstall without porting just means there is no rubbish on from the transfer, I may be imagining it but I'm sure the screen is slightly better .

It's also fixed a couple of issues I had with some work auth programs I was using (okta)

Back
Top Bottom