Samsung Galaxy S24 Family Thread

Associate
Was just having a bad day and the Pixel 8 pro is very good so decided I didn't need the s24 ultra and to put the money back in the bank.

Having dealt with the reality of people on eBay again and the hassle decided it's not worth it and they will probably just fix it

It's mainly camera I have an issue with tbh . Rest of the phone is fine and it's just first world problems .

Complete reinstall without porting just means there is no rubbish on from the transfer, I may be imagining it but I'm sure the screen is slightly better .

It's also fixed a couple of issues I had with some work auth programs I was using (okta)
Thanks for that.

Good to see you are happy with the S24U again (For Now).

I have to admit I haven't used the camera for anything important as of yet, I am waiting for the 'Update Fix' to drop then going to give it some stick to see what it's like.

Other than that I think the S24U is fantastic. The flat screen is so much better than using the S23U. That was a cracking device apart from the curved screen.

I set up my S24U from scratch. I tried the Smart Switch way 7 just couldn't live with the thought of a dirty install. My OCD.

I also have the Pixel 8 pro to fall back on.

Man of Honour
Camera updates:

Title:​

Introducing the Galaxy S24 Camera/Gallery February Update!​

Camera 1 charge
OPTIONS

02-16-2024 11:26 AM - Edit 02-16-2024 11:37 AM
Galaxy S

Hello. I am in charge of the camera.
First of all, I would like to thank all the Samsung members who have been interested in reviewing the Galaxy Camera/Gallery and have made suggestions.
As this is the first update since the Galaxy S24 was introduced, our developers have been monitoring feedback from various sources, including Samsung members, and have actively listened to your feedback to ensure a satisfactory user experience.
Notable improvements include adjusting the brightness of the dark area when shooting in high-megapixel mode, and improving the clarity of text in high-magnification zoom.
Please check the following for more details, and we hope that this update will provide you with improved camera usage.
We ask for your sincere opinions so that we can continue to develop through continuous SW updates.

1. Improved image quality by adjusting the brightness when shooting in backlight in high-pixel mode.
2. Improved the clarity of text when running high-magnification zoom. (Galaxy S24 Ultra Only)
3. Improved the clarity and image quality of rear video recording. (Galaxy S24 Ultra Only)
4. In the photo mode preview, the shadows have been increased and the portrait sharpness has been smoothed out in the indoor environment. (Galaxy S24 Ultra Only)
5. Improved the expression by adding color data in food mode.
6. Adjust the saturation and white balance in night mode to improve color
7. Improved image quality when enlarging in the gallery after DNG recording of the new format in the Expert RAW app.
8. Improved the expression of fast-moving subjects in backlit conditions in rear photo mode. (Galaxy S24 Ultra Only)
9. Improved the exposure and color expression of subjects (people, flowers, etc.) in photo mode. (Galaxy S24 Ultra Only)
Note: A "Sharpness" option has been added to the "Screen Mode" in the display settings, allowing you to enjoy more vivid colors.

Items that are not included in this update will be provided in the next SW update, and our development team will do our best in the next SW update that we are working hard to prepare with the hope of rewarding your wait. Stay tuned for the next update!
I appreciate it.

Translated from:

Associate
Camera updates:

Translated from:

This just goes to show it not the hardware that is the dealbreaker but software. Surely the fundamentals should be to focus on such things from the start seeing as you can make a phone faster year on year or improve battery but the camera shouldn't just bork from year on year. They do this time and time again.

Soldato
This just goes to show it not the hardware that is the dealbreaker but software. Surely the fundamentals should be to focus on such things from the start seeing as you can make a phone faster year on year or improve battery but the camera shouldn't just bork from year on year. They do this time and time again.
agree.. It's insane that people accept it as "it'll be fixed, I hope.. soon? pls" after spending 1k+ on a phone.

start good and improve as time goes on but start average, charge premium and improve over next 6 months or so is unacceptable.

Associate
I'm loving my s24 ultra. Camera is great, battery amazing I struggle to get it below 20%. Speakers are better it does everything I need as I don't have PC or laptop I use phone to do everything for me

I bought a case protects the lenses and back it was £20 and adds weight to phone in my hand while finger print is faultless for me

Associate
I'm loving my s24 ultra. Camera is great, battery amazing I struggle to get it below 20%. Speakers are better it does everything I need as I don't have PC or laptop I use phone to do everything for me

I bought a case protects the lenses and back it was £20 and adds weight to phone in my hand while finger print is faultless for me

With that said you should explore the DEX features with a monitor or small portable monitor or even your TV. Could open up all sorts of things unless you do this already?

Associate
agree.. It's insane that people accept it as "it'll be fixed, I hope.. soon? pls" after spending 1k+ on a phone.

start good and improve as time goes on but start average, charge premium and improve over next 6 months or so is unacceptable.

Partly why have enjoyed the Pixel 2 and Pixel 5. They were not powerhouses but did the basics well I felt and the camera was on top form from the get go.

Associate
Just decided to bump the resolution up to the full resolution, really makes a difference to the screen and quality IMO, I usually run at the default FHD+ but decided to move it up to QHD+.

Let's see how bad it impacts the battery life

Associate
Seeing posts on reddit about grainy screen, and some outlets state their screens are grainy too, but it's not widespread. It's mostly noticed on grey screens, my brightness is at 50% for ref and colour tone/eye comfort are off.

Mine seems fine:

S24_SCREEN_2024.02.15_1657-08_00002.jpg
I definitely see the graininess on mine. I have the brightness set around 10-20% most of the time unless im outside. I use dark mode in firefox and you can see it on that. I also see it on the EE app (which is also a dark mode skin). If I turn the birghtness up to 50% I can notice it if I really stare into it, but I don't think I'd notice otherwise.

I've always used around 10-20% brightness and I haven't notiched such graininess on my previous galaxy phones.

Associate
I'm really noticing the grain in photos now. Was in a dimly lit restaurant tonight and took a few photos of my 9 week old daughter - they're absolutely horrendous
Just took some photos of my kids also and same as, really poor and you can only hope it gets fixed soon.

Taking photos of static objects like buildings outside can produce some great results but normal stuff i.e. kids, photos are not good

Associate
Just took some photos of my kids also and same as, really poor and you can only hope it gets fixed soon.

Taking photos of static objects like buildings outside can produce some great results but normal stuff i.e. kids, photos are not good

Hopefully the coming update sorts it

It also aims to improve the camera quality in various lighting conditions and zoom levels.

Soldato

Agreed (not that Samsung are exclusively guilty of this).
Consumers in general seem so eager to be bent over again and again and form weird loyalties to companies that are purely there to take money from you.
We'll be paying to beta test computer games next!

Man of Honour
The update is out not even a full month after launch, it's really not the issue some pockets of the net are making out. It's not a Samsung thing either, Apple literally told their customers that they were holding the phone wrong on one release, whilst other makers don't even bother fixing stuff (LG).

I am on holiday to the Algarve & Seville after next week, perfect timing for the camera update to land before then and cannot wait.

Last edited:
Associate
The update is out not even a full month after launch, it's really not the issue some pockets of the net are making out. It's not a Samsung thing either, Apple literally told their customers that they were holding the phone wrong on one release, whilst other makers don't even bother fixing stuff (LG).

I am on holiday to the Algarve & Seville after next week, perfect timing for the camera update to land before then and cannot wait.
Ultimately as long as they fix the camera issues in the next couple of updates that's the main thing.

Other thing I noticed with my dog and my son's hair which are both dark and close to black is all details are lost , take the same photos with the Pixel 8 pro and it shows the shades and shadows and maintains the details .

I think they mentioned fixing this but let's see.

Battery life is phenomenal, I rebuilt mine from scratch and running full res and it's lasting easy through the day

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom