*** Samsung Galaxy Z Fold Thread (it can fold and everything) ***

I went to the Three shop on Saturday whilst in town as they were the only ones who had a working display sample and have to say I came away feeling a little disappointed. The line down the middle of the screen once it's opened I find a little annoying (looked at a Fold2 the previous weekend and hoped they would have made this a little better but I guess if you want a foldable device that's what you have to put up with) and the camera quality seemed pretty poor even compared with my S10+. The in-screen camera was notably visible although as with Smokedog it was a highly lit store but it was obvious it was there.

I think I'm going to pass on this one and see what Apple or Google bring next - failing that S22 Ultra for me in Jan.

to be fair the crease never bothered me, it's not noticeable when looking head on, but it never bothered me anyway, I loved the fold 2, the only things I didn't like about it were the lack of water resistance and also the 60hz screen on the front, the cameras (on the back) are still great I took some amazing shots with the fold 2, but yes as it's a cutting edge piece of tech there will be drawbacks but I love having something that I only dreamed about as a kid (i'm 48).

I popped out today with a view to handling both. EE Lichfield had a working version of the Fold 3 and a non working Flip3.

I was about 90% sure I wanted the fold and it was fantastic opened up. I never once noticed the under screen camera, although I wasn't specifically looking for it. Neither did I notice the crease, either in use or when viewing something. Transition from outer to inside screen was very smooth, and flex mode worked very well on most apps that I tried. Not a huge fan of the outer screen aspect ratio but it serves it's purpose.

I was a little concerned that to open it up seems a little stiffer than I would have thought. No issue as such, I'm just concerned it's probably an opportunity to fumble and drop it. It also wasn't nearly as bulky as I'd anticipated, in the hand or pocket.

The flip3 by comparison was much easier to open/close. Especially 1 handed. It's a really nice form factor and both phones felt very premium. I'm still a little torn on which to order. Heart says Flip for the small form factor but head is saying fold as I'm a big media/internet consumer via mobile. Hmmm.

The line down the middle of the screen once it's opened I find a little annoying
Been using my Fold 2 for almost a year and I don't notice it much when I'm using the device. The only improvement I want is to make the outer screen wider, the outer screen being 60hz or 120hz doesn't bother me.

I popped out today with a view to handling both. EE Lichfield had a working version of the Fold 3 and a non working Flip3.

I was about 90% sure I wanted the fold and it was fantastic opened up. I never once noticed the under screen camera, although I wasn't specifically looking for it. Neither did I notice the crease, either in use or when viewing something. Transition from outer to inside screen was very smooth, and flex mode worked very well on most apps that I tried. Not a huge fan of the outer screen aspect ratio but it serves it's purpose.

I was a little concerned that to open it up seems a little stiffer than I would have thought. No issue as such, I'm just concerned it's probably an opportunity to fumble and drop it. It also wasn't nearly as bulky as I'd anticipated, in the hand or pocket.

The flip3 by comparison was much easier to open/close. Especially 1 handed. It's a really nice form factor and both phones felt very premium. I'm still a little torn on which to order. Heart says Flip for the small form factor but head is saying fold as I'm a big media/internet consumer via mobile. Hmmm.
Fold, Fold, Fold. Sounds like it will fit your use case better with your media consumption.

I've gone for one of these as an upgrade to my S20 Ultra I got at launch.

The S20 battery is degrading and I'm not getting a full day now and for some reason my main camera is a bit blurred so I thought it was time to try a new device.

Will be glad to get away from Exynos too as we always seem to get the shart straw there.

Anyone have a spare 10% code? I have a reward system through my work and if I use that, it reduces the trade in value of my phone plus the trade in bonus, effectively cancelling out the discount! If someone has a spare voucher code I'd be grateful :)

I slept on it and decided to cancel my order. I need a decent camera and not really feeling the camera unit on the fold3.

I saw the dxomark of the fold2 and although Its not gospel it does give you an idea. My old mate 20 pro from 2018 takes better pics and for a £1600 phone I’d expect it to have latest camera tech. Guess Samsung had to cheap out somewhere.

Il see what the other brands bring out later this year.

hope you guys enjoy it.

Last edited:
Hmmm…there’s a message on my Vodafone account saying the device has shipped and will be with me soon? Can’t possibly be sent out this early, right?

lol - who knows. Mine was supposed to arrive today but nothing and checked the order and it’s not even showing a sent.

Also saying it’s shipped when I log onto Vodafone. They are useless.

Ordered, I went for the Fold in green. Deliberated long enough! The productivity and larger display swung it in the end.

No idea when it’s coming but hopefully a day early as I go away on the 27th.
Can’t wait!

Went into the three store today. Positive points - feels premium and so it should, in fact it felt 'very premium' and very well built so all good! The inner display crease doesn't bother me and the phone is smaller and lighter than I thought it would be so good but the inner screen not as large as I thought it would be..but still a very nice device!!

Back
Top Bottom