Samsung LS34E790C - Curved 34" 21:9 super-wide

Soldato
I suppose there isn't a lot to say when nobody has one...

I am kind of stuck between this and the Philips 40 inch currently... Or just waiting on a 32 inch 4k IPs.

But I like the contrast va offers,

Soldato
I suppose there isn't a lot to say when nobody has one...

I am kind of stuck between this and the Philips 40 inch currently... Or just waiting on a 32 inch 4k IPs.

But I like the contrast va offers,

I understand your indecision. I personally prefer the edge in Field Of View offered by 21:9 in most games. And indeed the somewhat lower graphical requirements. I also find the 34" UltraWide models to be a great size - and having seen the curved Samsung at IFA, really like the whole package to be honest. Really looking forward to this one. :)

Associate
Aaargh. Had settled with choosing the Dell U3415W IPS. Then I read about speculations on the Samsung 4ms VA panel. Sure, 4ms brochure spec worth zilch before some competent reviews on GtG/blur. Never used VA panels myself. Always IPS for accurate colors and viewing angles.

Very unsure. Any thoughts on how this VA might hold up against IPS ? Gaming / work use ?

Associate
Hi Gibbo

Is the ETA of 19/12/14 still valid?

I know it slipped a week last week, but I still have various body parts crossed that I will get my pre-order just in time for Xmas, or am I being unrealistic?
:)

Associate
Hi Gibbo

I know it slipped a week last week, but I still have various body parts crossed that I will get my pre-order just in time for Xmas, or am I being unrealistic?

Yeah i'm hoping it still on schedule too, I keep looking at the Philips 40" 4k and being tempted but its this I really want :)

Associate
I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether to wait it out for the AOC or jump on this deal. I'd preferably rather see some reviews before dropping this kind of cash however the alternatives are so limited. I'll grab an lg as an absolute last resort however this is extremely tempting. I just wonder how good it would be for processing photos compared to an ips screen. I've had to admit to myself that the Philips 40" 16:9 is simply too much vertical height to sit in front of...at my desk anyway. Other than that and being set on 21:9 it does look pretty good.

Soldato
I'm having a hard time trying to decide whether to wait it out for the AOC or jump on this deal. I'd preferably rather see some reviews before dropping this kind of cash however the alternatives are so limited. I'll grab an lg as an absolute last resort however this is extremely tempting. I just wonder how good it would be for processing photos compared to an ips screen. I've had to admit to myself that the Philips 40" 16:9 is simply too much vertical height to sit in front of...at my desk anyway. Other than that and being set on 21:9 it does look pretty good.

I wouldn't recommend this over a model like the AOC for photo editing. It simply doesn't offer the same level of colour consistency owing to the gamma shift behaviour of the panel. Colours lose saturation towards the edges - there is simply no escaping inconsistencies on a panel of this size. If it is just occasional hobbyist photo editing you may be able to get away with it, but it's definitely not as well suited to such tasks as the AH-IPS models.

Soldato
I've had to admit to myself that the Philips 40" 16:9 is simply too much vertical height to sit in front of...at my desk anyway. Other than that and being set on 21:9 it does look pretty good.

Yeah, there's no way I'd go larger than 30-32" at my desk for a 16:9 monitor. Even then I think 27/28" might be the sweet spot for a 16:9 monitor you're sitting directly in front of. I'm confident a large 34" 21:9 monitor could comfortably replace my dual monitor setup though whereas I'm not sure a single 16:9 could.

Gonna wait until the Dell, AOC and this are available before making a call.

Associate
I wouldn't recommend this over a model like the AOC for photo editing. It simply doesn't offer the same level of colour consistency owing to the gamma shift behaviour of the panel. Colours lose saturation towards the edges - there is simply no escaping inconsistencies on a panel of this size. If it is just occasional hobbyist photo editing you may be able to get away with it, but it's definitely not as well suited to such tasks as the AH-IPS models.

Thanks for that. I've never seen a VA screen in the flesh before but they seem to getting some attention on here recently however that settles it...I'll just, attempt to, hold out for a less obviously flawed, than the LG, ips 34".

Yeah, there's no way I'd go larger than 30-32" at my desk for a 16:9 monitor. Even then I think 27/28" might be the sweet spot for a 16:9 monitor you're sitting directly in front of. I'm confident a large 34" 21:9 monitor could comfortably replace my dual monitor setup though whereas I'm not sure a single 16:9 could.

Gonna wait until the Dell, AOC and this are available before making a call.

Agreed...the vertical height of anything 27-32 16:9 is ideal for me and will replace dual monitors also. I've tried a 40" at my desk out of curiosity but it was far too high to be comfortable.

Associate
Hi Gibbo

Can anyone at OC answer this please?

I too am getting worried its going to be delivered after Xmas. Its kind of a joint pressie to myself and the other half, as a replacement for the plasma that gave up the ghost recently.

Associate
Thanks for that. I've never seen a VA screen in the flesh before but they seem to getting some attention on here recently however that settles it...I'll just, attempt to, hold out for a less obviously flawed, than the LG, ips 34".

Agreed...the vertical height of anything 27-32 16:9 is ideal for me and will replace dual monitors also. I've tried a 40" at my desk out of curiosity but it was far too high to be comfortable.

30" is perfect for me, but 32" (31.5") is ok too i guess considering the step up from 1600p to 2160p :cool:

as for VA. it has its problems, colour shift is real and pixel response causes some trails more than IPS, with a well managed overdrive circuit that can be cured. but can anyone be realistically happy with IPS Glow ?

Last edited:
Associate
I've raised a ticket in the outstanding orders section and have been told that they are still expecting the delivery today, but depending on what time it arrives will determine if they are able to turn them around to meet customers or not. Keeping all body parts crossed! :eek:

Associate
I've raised a ticket in the outstanding orders section and have been told that they are still expecting the delivery today, but depending on what time it arrives will determine if they are able to turn them around to meet customers or not. Keeping all body parts crossed! :eek:

Thanks Adam. It would be nice if someone could keep us up to date though.

Having spent nearly £800 on a monitor is daunting enough without the added stress of not knowing when it will be in stock nevermind when it will be delivered and in what state

Back
Top Bottom