Samsung U28D590 mini review

Associate
Arrghh - have just ordered http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MO-167-SA&groupid=17&catid=1120
to replace my broken 1440p Korean pile of tatt.
My rig is nowhere near powerful enough for 4k gaming but my 7950 copes with 1440p just fine...
Soooo, as the above order hasn't completed, should I bite the extra £150, cancel the above and order one of these? What does non-native 1440p look like on these displays?
Cheers!

Associate
@ceririch

1440p does not look as nice on this display compared to a native 1440p screen. Plus input lag on this 4k monitor is the same as some 1440p ones anyway at 4k but when scaling the lag increases even more. I would stick to a really good 1440p monitor as there is no advantage with your setup for buying this monitor. Native res is always much sharper and nicer looking.

Associate
@ceririch

1440p does not look as nice on this display compared to a native 1440p screen. Plus input lag on this 4k monitor is the same as some 1440p ones anyway at 4k but when scaling the lag increases even more. I would stick to a really good 1440p monitor as there is no advantage with your setup for buying this monitor. Native res is always much sharper and nicer looking.

Thanks mate.
Was thinking the same sort of thing, the only thing jabbing me in the back of my head is the future proofing angle.
I'll probably end up buying a 970 (or something of equivalent price) in 6 months to a years' time), so was tempted to buy this, use non native 1440p on for a few months before going 4k.

Soldato
Is this true there must be differences in the cables ie like hdmi's different version cables.

Yes it is true,all Dp cables are the same, all the revisions to date have relied on just improving comms rates over the same pinout, that isnt to say that some cables arent better quality than others, but in terms of the standard there isnt any specified difference

Associate
Thanks mate.
Was thinking the same sort of thing, the only thing jabbing me in the back of my head is the future proofing angle.
I'll probably end up buying a 970 (or something of equivalent price) in 6 months to a years' time), so was tempted to buy this, use non native 1440p on for a few months before going 4k.

There are 4k monitors with lower lag than the samsung already and g-sync is now a must. The Acer one coming out will hopefully be low lag with g-sync. A gtx970 will get about 30fps at 4k roughly on max settings so sli would be needed to reach the g-sync sweet spot of 40-60fps on all games. As sli is not on a lot of games 1440p seems to be the sweet spot now. A single card can reach 60fps a lot of the time.
4k will be worth it when 1 gpu can do 40-60fps max settings with no AA on every game and you don't have to rely on sli to get smooth fps. 4k 144hz is now what i am waiting for along with better gpu's. I now use the Asus Rog Swift 1440p g-sync monitor and have sold my 4k panel. Some badly programmed games run at under 30fps like dead rising 3 which makes the game unplayable even on a titan black at 4k, at 1440p even this sloppy port can manage mid 40's which is fine with g-sync.

Soldato
Greg, i have just got this monitor again and noticed i get stuttering when trying to play 4K videos from youtube, did you ever have this issue?

My Res is set to 3820 x 2160 @ 60Hz, Hardware acceleration enabled, latest drivers and updated chrome, no fix so far :/

Soldato
Greg, i have just got this monitor again and noticed i get stuttering when trying to play 4K videos from youtube, did you ever have this issue?

What happens when you try to play a video from a local source? My first guess is that you have insufficient bandwidth on your internet connection.

Soldato
Strange issue, I had This monitor before and the only thing that has changed is my graphics card.

Noticed it stutters with 4K when I downloaded a demo video too, might need to uninstall my drivers and reinstall them again.

Soldato
I think mine has just died on me :(

Screen works fine, but the little selector switch at the back which is used to switch between sources, tweak settings etc is completely unresponsive.

Has anybody run into similar issues or is this monitor ready to be confined to the big monitor graveyard in the sky?

Back
Top Bottom