• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Permabanned
Hmm to everyone out there with 2600k/2500k could you give me some honest advice on weither to go for a bundle or seperates? i would be dissapointed if i could not get 4.6 @ 1.3v to be honest but u am also on a budget and looking to get the cost down slighty.taking a haf 912 over the hafx is an example of how im trimming it from £1300.

Right so the OCUK bundle doesnt have the ram i want for one, and two the warranty is void if i update the bios.Uefi will get refined a lot so im sure i will want to update the bios for better boot times etc and i will lose my warranty if i do! :<

Another point is just how the bundle doesnt take into account the MSI 20% offer either so i could save £70 here.thats £50 premium for the pre overclock and £20 from the VAT offer.

I really cant decide i am not ready to purchase right now so i need to buy the motherboard a month in advance of my build if i am to do this now.

Soldato
....DON'T USE AUTO OVERCLOCKING on any Sandy Bridge motherboard with current BIOS's... There is a good chance it will set the vcore for the CPU too high and alter the BCLK Base Clock..

Read this ... it is very easy to overclock a Sandy Bridge CPU now aslong as you stick to some simple rules.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18227651

MSI boards OC Genie is fine as it overclocks at stock volts and doesn't alter the baseclock.

Also, with my board (MSI P67A GD55) you can get to 4.6ghz at 1.275vcore, happy days :D

Last edited:
Associate
WTF "Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died'.

How about changing the title because if it really died it wouldn't now be working. Sounds more like a BIOS fubar.

Associate
Say for e.g I use the asus overclocking feature that comes with the p67 deluxe
Will it set the Blck to more than a 100 automatically With turboV

Just wondering

Even if you don't overclock the Asus board, well my Pro, already sets this slighty higher. You need to set itto manual and 100 instead of AUTO.

Soldato
I dont go for bundles because of these reasons (some people may disagree with me):

1) Its cheaper to buy your own config and if you get stuck read lots of forums and guides to get to your desired OC. I got my QX6700 to 3.6ghz just by copying someones settings and tweaking it for my own set up.

2) I recon I can build a rig better. i.e more care taken, time to apply tim evenly and make sure im happy.

3) Update BIOS, Bios can make a OC go further but can do the reverse. But with Uefi more adjustments will come and Id like to be able to use them.

4) Reading on here about a whole bent pin sarga.

Associate
cheers guys (esp. purgatory), gonna start the build in a sec. Dont plan to OC yet, until we know more about the longevity of these chips. Wish me luck!
edit: Gibbo just saw your latest post, same time as this one, I have the XMS3 and was starting to worry, Will try at 1.5v to start with. thanks for setting my mind at ease

Can you OC on stock volts? Give that a try and see what you get?

Associate
Its not asus fault that some people think they know it all when they havn't a clue and mess with that they shouldn't have to.

Fair point but it is Asus's fault that the board comes set at AUTO for BCLK and that they increase it when Intel say no and it's also Asus's fault that they have memory on their QVL that needs 1.65v to run ok and they tell you to set it at 1.65v when Intel also don't recomend it.

I think the motherboard manufactures have some questions to answer here as they seem to have ignored Intel recomendations. I know Asus has as I own one and have had issues with it.

Soldato
were now gonna setup 3 rigs, one with 1.45v core volts, one with BCLK overclocking and one with 1.65 memory clock to see which one if any dies first. We shall do this on 2500k chips.

Any update on the chip with the BCLK overclocking? I know it's only been a few hours but I'm interested to hear how this goes.

Andrew Moore said yesterday "Do not OC with bclk at all. This will kill the chips and the onboard parts such as USB, sound etc" however a fair number of people will think 'well I don't care about USB, sound etc if I have a discrete sound card and can easily get a USB card if needed'.

Associate
Any update on the chip with the BCLK overclocking? I know it's only been a few hours but I'm interested to hear how this goes.

Andrew Moore said yesterday "Do not OC with bclk at all. This will kill the chips and the onboard parts such as USB, sound etc" however a fair number of people will think 'well I don't care about USB, sound etc if I have a discrete sound card and can easily get a USB card if needed'.

If people want to risk fubaring their mobo by increasing the bclk by the few % that SB allows* then I say more fool them.

* as the bclk is a true base clock; all frequencies are taken from this one clock and "everyone" knows that a PCI-E bus doesn't like running much past 100..

Soldato
I dont go for bundles because of these reasons (some people may disagree with me):

1) Its cheaper to buy your own config and if you get stuck read lots of forums and guides to get to your desired OC. I got my QX6700 to 3.6ghz just by copying someones settings and tweaking it for my own set up.

The bundles are compatibility tested and the OC is guaranteed = Peace of mind

2) I recon I can build a rig better. i.e more care taken, time to apply tim evenly and make sure im happy.

You have to mount the heatsink yourself with the bundles anyway.

3) Update BIOS, Bios can make a OC go further but can do the reverse. But with Uefi more adjustments will come and Id like to be able to use them.

Personally I'll only update my BIOS to solve an existing issue. UEFI updates might only appear on new board designs.

4) Reading on here about a whole bent pin sarga.

The CPU is already mounted in the board, pretty difficult to bend the socket pins.

Personally I've been very happy with my i7 920 4GHz bundle, it's been going strong for one and a half years now.

Soldato
Uh-oh.

I seem to really do have a dead 2600K :(

Motherboard:
P67A-UD3
8GB Mushkin 4x2GB Silverline @ 1.5v
HX850 psu.
OCZ Vertex 2E 120gb, 2x WD 300gb raptors.

Built for client, installed Windows 7 fine, didn't even get to overclock the thing, blue screened a few times and eventually not even posting. The other 2600k i have works fine. Have no other board to test on, but not looking good. :(:o

Last edited:
Soldato
MSI boards OC Genie is fine as it overclocks at stock volts and doesn't alter the baseclock.

Also, with my board (MSI P67A GD55) you can get to 4.6ghz at 1.275vcore, happy days :D

Dave other people with ausus boards are all talking about problems of freezing and other problems with there asus boards do you suffer any of these problems with your MSI P67A GD55 have you any problems at all ?

Soldato
Ive red this forum and so far I see 2 people complaining of dieing CPU's both of which have Gigabite boards?

Have I missed any one else?

Last edited:
Associate
Uh-oh.

I seem to really do have a dead 2600K :(

Motherboard:
P67A-UD3
8GB Mushkin 4x2GB Silverline @ 1.5v
HX850 psu.
OCZ Vertex 2E 120gb, 2x WD 300gb raptors.

Built for client, installed Windows 7 fine, didn't even get to overclock the thing, blue screened a few times and eventually not even posting. The other 2600k i have works fine. Have no other board to test on, but not looking good. :(:o

Not another one?

Soldato
* as the bclk is a true base clock; all frequencies are taken from this one clock and "everyone" knows that a PCI-E bus doesn't like running much past 100..

Good point, was just saying that a fair number of people wouldn't care too much about onboard sound etc, forgot the PCI-E bus was also linked to the BCLK now. :-\

Back
Top Bottom