• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sandy Bridge 2500k Just Died

Associate
Looks like my 2500k is dead... 4 days of use, now it doesn't even make it into windows without locking up...
Tried rolling back to stock - locks up on windows load up. Windows repair locks up.
Tried to use another HD and install windows on that. Locks up...
Looks like these might be duff, another guy with a d2 stepping 2500k had his die...
Any ideas on a way to test with only around 30sec before lockup when started?
Trying to underclock now...

what batch number is your 2500k ?

Soldato
Well ive been trawling some other forums today and this is the only forum reporting issues atm.

*****.net which is also is home to OCuk competitors arnt reporting issues but are quoting this thread. We will know somethings up when the news sites get hold of this. Im hoping its just a small batch as Ive got my build coming as soon as the mobo comes in stock.

Soldato
Well ive been trawling some other forums today and this is the only forum reporting issues atm.

*****.net which is also is home to OCuk competitors arnt reporting issues but are quoting this thread. We will know somethings up when the news sites get hold of this. Im hoping its just a small batch as Ive got my build coming as soon as the mobo comes in stock.

I'm putting mine down to a one off. I don't think the chips have any serious problem tbh.

Soldato
I'm putting mine down to a one off. I don't think the chips have any serious problem tbh.

I hope so as my current build has been very good to me. Hate to have a rough ride with this new one. I have worked with intel for donkeys and its one manufacture I can put down to say there hardware is very reliable, hope this doesnt change.

Soldato
RMA approved. Packed and ready to go. Do wish i had another board to confirm but seeing as the other chip works fine.. My mate will have to wait for his 2600k, he managed to scrape funds for the chip and not the board quite yet :D
I usually wait for a platform to mature a little and prices to go down before i buy a testbed board for a platform.

Last edited:
Soldato
Intel has been fabbing on 32nm since Q4 '09. Its new in as much as its a new design ON that 32nm process and that is more to do with it I think.

Intel shouldn't have done that. Should have staying with 45nm sandybridge and upcoming fearsome the worse is ivybridge 22nm (even more fragile) should have better off with 45nm.

Intel try to cut down overclocking limit backwards.

Soldato
Intel shouldn't have done that. Should have staying with 45nm sandybridge and upcoming fearsome the worse is ivybridge 22nm (even more fragile) should have better off with 45nm.

Intel try to cut down overclocking limit backwards.

they produce less heat and thus overclock better, they are just more fragile thats all. Which is fine, provided you arn't an early adopter all shall be good. if you are an early adopter then you best know what you are doing if you are overclocking or you may fry your chip easily.

Soldato
Hi there

The XMS3 however is proving excellent in our testing today, so far stable at 1.40v at rated timings (1600MHz 9-9-9-24). :)

That's near matches my memory ram corsair XMS2 and it very good ram can overclock no problem with my 1.3vcore at 4.2ghz with ram volt at 1.50v at 1600MHz 9-9-9-24)

Last edited:
Soldato
Here is my example sensible overclocked my i7 920 do 2.67GHz @ 4.20GHz with vcore at bios 1.30v and windows under load at 1.26v and look at my corsair XMS2 1600MHz @ 9-9-9-24-2T at just 1.50v !

I am personal quite happy with 4.20GHz as it never went above 72C in winter and never went above 75C in summer. (The noctua d14 are very very good air cooler)

Uvo

Uvo

Associate

and this is the only place where the processors were used in the construction of a pyramid.... coincidence? :p

I would imagine though that if they only officially launched over the weekend then most people are still waiting on deliveries or running home from work to build
unless ofc they had a nice supplier who sent them early :)

Soldato
and this is the only place where the processors were used in the construction of a pyramid.... coincidence? :p

I would imagine though that if they only officially launched over the weekend then most people are still waiting on deliveries or running home from work to build
unless ofc they had a nice supplier who sent them early :)

Yeh that's what I thought so we will wait and see.

OcUK Staff
I am actually amazed by the Corsair XMS3 considering how bloody cheap it is that it can run at such low voltages which makes me wonder what it clocks like when you do give it some volts up its ass. :D

Still good work Corsair on not only great memory but for a price thats as cheap as the budget no brand stuff, Corsair a force to be reckoned with these days. :)

Soldato
I am actually amazed by the Corsair XMS3 considering how bloody cheap it is that it can run at such low voltages which makes me wonder what it clocks like when you do give it some volts up its ass. :D

Still good work Corsair on not only great memory but for a price thats as cheap as the budget no brand stuff, Corsair a force to be reckoned with these days. :)

Likewise with the GeIL Value Plus, got that down to 1.4v stable, great price too
icon14.gif

OcUK Staff
Likewise with the GeIL Value Plus, got that down to 1.4v stable, great price too
icon14.gif

Yeah I've always liked GeIL and I'd expect it from their memory as they always over-engineer the stuff, but the Corsair has really surprised me. Yes for the money they are both amazing deals.

You tried say 8-8-8-24 timings with the GeIL, will it do it?

Associate
Dave getting almost the same build as you tommorow; GD55 + Geil Values but 2500k.....ExCiTeD!!.....unfortunately, will only be able to put it together after my exams on 19th.
Gibbo, one queation, were these Geils released/stocked especially for Sandybridge?

Back
Top Bottom