• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Sapphire 5850 Boot Problem

Associate
Installed my Sapphire 5850 yesterday and ever since I have been getting boot problems. PC starts, BIOS splash screen displays and then I get a message saying "BIOS POST failure press F1 to continue". Press F1 and then it starts wihout any further issues.

I could set the BIOS to "Halt on - no errors" but wondered what might be causing this.

I realise my MB and CPU may be a bottleneck for the card but hardware wise I wouldn't expect any compatability issues so does anybody have any ideas what may be causing this?

Thanks,

Andy

Associate
OP
Check for motherboard bios update, and if you have the option try other power connectors

I have the latest BIOS and I am using the dedicated PCI-e power connectors from my PSU. I will try using the one of the peripheral connectors and a PCI-e power adapter.

I can hear the PC start (fans running etc) but there is no display, then after a second or two it all stops, starts again automatically, beeps and then launches Windows 7.

Thanks,
Andy

Soldato
Also if you have the option try a different pcie slot.

If you dont have another x16 then try it in the next fastest, a x8 will give you no appreciable performance drop. A x4 or x1 at least will let you troubleshoot the issue further

Associate
OP
It seems like the issue is caused by my Sapphire 5850 graphics card. I installed my BFG 7800GT OC and every time I loaded Windows 7 there was no problem.

I have the CPU overclocked in the BIOS and with the 5850 the overclock isn't always applied but when i went back to the 7800GT the overclock was applied everytime.

Tried reducing load on the PSU by removing non-critical hardware but it made no difference.

Do you think this is an issue because I have a PCI-e rev 1 motherboard or is it something else?

Thanks,
Andy

Last edited:
Associate
OP
It seems like the issue is caused by my Sapphire 5850 graphics card. I installed my BFG 7800GT OC and every time I loaded Windows 7 there was no problem.

I have the CPU overclocked in the BIOS and with the 5850 the overclock isn't always applied but when i went back to the 7800GT the overclock was applied everytime.

Do you think this is an issue because I have a PCI-e rev 1 motherboard or is it something else?

Thanks,
Andy

I have resolved the overclock with workaround which is silent and does not cause any interuption. I used CrystalCPUID and created a startup item that opens CPUID, applies the multiplier overclock and then closes CPUID. There is no detectable delay in boot time and the overclock is applied everytime. This will be OK for the time being until and upgrade my motherbaord, CPU and memory later on in the year.

Thanks for the help and ideas.

Andy

Associate
This is disconcerting, as I had similar issues. This is the 3rd Sapphire 5850 boot issue thread I have read. I am now wondering if these cards may have a defect...

Associate
When the boot issue happens does the card's fan maintain a high speed rather than slowing down to idle speeds? This morning I turned the PC on, left the room and returned a few minutes later and the 5850's fan was making a racket. I turned the monitor on and it went to standby, so I had to reset the pc to get into Windows.

Sapphire 5850 here too.

Associate
OP
When the boot issue happens does the card's fan maintain a high speed rather than slowing down to idle speeds? This morning I turned the PC on, left the room and returned a few minutes later and the 5850's fan was making a racket. I turned the monitor on and it went to standby, so I had to reset the pc to get into Windows.

Sapphire 5850 here too.

No I don't have that happen.. When I start up I can hear all of the fans in my system running quite high, then they slow right down (as set in the BIOS) and stay that way. The graphics card fan sometimes runs really fast just as Windows desktop appears but it lasts no more than 2 seconds from ramp up to full speed to normal.

Andy

Associate
I have a similar issue with my HIS 5850 - When I start the pc I have a blank screen for about 30 seconds and I can hear something inside powering up and down until finally my boot up screen appears and the pc runs as normal. I have a 580W OCZ PSU with one dedicated PCI-E power slot and have used the supplied adaptor for the other gfx card socket (with no other components daisy chained to it). I felt like bumping this thread to see if Andy has made any progress on the issue...

Associate
There must be something wrong with the 5850 cards as i have a xfx 5850 card on a gigabyte mobo and everytime i start computer up the graphics card spins up and down bout 6 times before it finally starts booting into windows, the whole process takes around 15-20 seconds which is annoying.

ive looked into it and found im not the only person with this problem, and i think as more 5850 cards become avaliable we will see more of the same problem.

anyone got any ideas of what the problem might be?

Back
Top Bottom