Saving Sessions / Demand reduction thread

I think the fact she's not posted her bill says a lot. She also says they use a log burner and there's only 2 of them in the house. So potentially empty during the day assuming thy work.
Yep, I'd love to go round and check where all the energy is going. That's way more than average.

I bet there's an inefficient washing machine + tumble dryer combo on 24/7, or an electric fire, plasma Tv. That's a lot of energy used.

Agree. Personaly responsability has been thrown out of the window. The general publics lack of basic intelligance on the cost of energy is staggering.

I mean we're a busy household with kids and a lot of tech, and because of the kids we have a lot more washing (4 loads a week at least - we're an active family that goes out and we get muddy), I work from home 2-3x a week. Yet even gas heating (and I love being warm but I just wear 4 layers when I'm at home) if you remove our solar/water diverter, we'd still be paying less than £200 per month. We do have a log burner as well which helps.

So not entirely sure how people are spending that much...

The telly / facebook / mumsnet told me the cap is £2.5k. I can afford £208/month so have my heating on 25 degrees 24/7.

OMG my bill is £700
Thats actually a potentially valid observation.

The try to dumb it down enough that the average dumb Brit gets it, has led to even less understanding on the issue than is needed.

Its like lets tell people the 2 minute TLDR every day for 2 months. Rather than spending 10 minutes once a week really giving them the information to stand some chance of understanding.

However going back to that woman. I can see how should they have a darn inefficient house they could easily burn through lots of gas.

My system will use around 16kwh of gas in the first hour if the house is cold and its pretty cold outside. But as its efficient it then cycles a lot.
Someone on here tested theirs and it ws basically working hard all the time, their house was so bad that it took forever to get warm.
Potentially add in an old inefficient boiler and its not impossible.

The telly / facebook / mumsnet told me the cap is £2.5k. I can afford £208/month so have my heating on 25 degrees 24/7.

OMG my bill is £700

I can believe that - people think that there's a maximum limit... it's shocking, I mean else we'd all just leave our ovens on all day! I wonder if the press/gov have made it too complex or not clear enough?

I think the fact she's not posted her bill says a lot. She also says they use a log burner and there's only 2 of them in the house. So potentially empty during the day assuming thy work.
For my £415 bill we also had the log fire on most evenings. It was just that cold, and the house was just that inefficient. I can show you my temp data - it never once got above 15!

I mean we're a busy household with kids and a lot of tech, and because of the kids we have a lot more washing (4 loads a week at least - we're an active family that goes out and we get muddy), I work from home 2-3x a week. Yet even gas heating (and I love being warm but I just wear 4 layers when I'm at home) if you remove our solar/water diverter, we'd still be paying less than £200 per month. We do have a log burner as well which helps.

So not entirely sure how people are spending that much...
Modern house insulation ?

When it was -4C I could use £15 a day just on gas keeping the house at 18-19. (1902 house)

Last edited:
Same here. But thats still only £450 if you did it the entire month, and it wasn't that cold for over a week. It's been a relatively mild winter.

Just looking back, there was a couple of weeks in December and a week in January where gas use spiked.

Last edited:
Same here. But thats still only £300 if you did it the entire month, and it wasn't that cold for over a week. It's been a relatively mild winter.
Electric is free ? Plus surely a log burner helps! Anyway how people spend more than £200 is hard to understand apparently…

Last edited:
Same here. But thats still only £300 if you did it the entire month, and it wasn't that cold for over a week. It's been a relatively mild winter.

Just looking back, there was a couple of weeks in December and a week in January where gas use spiked.
15 a day is more like 450. Where did 300 come from?

Modern house insulation ?

When it was -4C I could use £15 a day just on gas keeping the house at 18-19. (1902 house)

1951 the house was built. I have added more insulation to the lofts and thus roof space. Parts of the house are cavity walls which do have some insulation albeit old. The double glazing is a bit old as well (20 years ). Some parts of the house aren't cavity walls.

I mean we're sensible, and I use a hive thermostat and TRVs and set up geolocation and motion detectors so it doesn't turn on the heating if either we're out of the house or no motion is detected for a certain amount of time.

We also draw the curtains at night, and we wear layers and have the log burner on regularly in the winter.

When we had snow and the 2 weeks at -2 to -7C we just had the log burner on all day which although too small to heat the whole house does take the edge off. For the kids we out hot water bottles in their beds to warm them up (took them out after).

The house stayed around 18C-19C whilst a little cool it seemed ok.
I guess your house being over 120 years old is less likely to be well insulated?

This has timed quite nicely for me
Should have done some washing today and didn't due to low solar forecast

Will avoid dishwasher tonight, do the washing early tomorrow then tumble at 1:30
Tomorrow is likely to be damp and not that warm so will likely just fan heater from lunchtime as I am home alone from mid morning.

Solar looks low unlike the last time when it was high during -4 to -1 savings session in day adjustment period.

Back
Top Bottom