Saxo VTR and 17

Associate
306 TD is my first car, when i passed at 17 i shelled out £1500 to churchill. i am the main driver but adding my parents took £250 off for some reason, doesnt really matter that they never drive it. that is fully comp, tpf+t was only £50 less??
looking at a renewal of £800 - £850 ish next month.
if your having problems getting quotes at all try quinn direct, they r good for young drivers. they are the only people who would insure my 205. again £1500 a year with no NCD.

Associate
I knew someone would say it was illegal.

Mum's policy, made them aware of who was doing what mileages... they said it was all 100% ok.

Yes, I don't get any NCB but for £38/month I don't really mind, Would be paying 5x as much to insure it under my own name...

Thank you.

Caporegime
Scarfacé said:
I knew someone would say it was illegal.

Mum's policy, made them aware of who was doing what mileages... they said it was all 100% ok.

Yes, I don't get any NCB but for £38/month I don't really mind, Would be paying 5x as much to insure it under my own name...

Thank you.

That BS sorry, why would an insurance company allow you to do all the driving but with your mum as the main driver hence them missing out on more business, i hope you got the name of person and time of the call cause when you crash that car and your found as the main driver you won't have a leg to stand on simple as that...

Soldato
You really do need to think about getting a sensible, small engined car. Anything more than about 1l is going to be costly. When I first passed my test (1999) I had a 1983 MK1 Fiesta Popular (not even a pop plus!! :o) and that cost me around £900 a year FC. Realistically your first cars going to be a Fiesta/Saxo/106/Fiat 126 bis :D

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
That BS sorry, why would an insurance company allow you to do all the driving but with your mum as the main driver hence them missing out on more business, i hope you got the name of person and time of the call cause when you crash that car and your found as the main driver you won't have a leg to stand on simple as that...

Where did I say I was doing all of the driving? You and others just assumed. I work in Bristol... I leave the house @ 6am and get back home @ 6pm, I travel with a collegue and pay 50% of their petrol.

Therefore, I drive the car at weekends + sometimes afterwork only.

"OMG 17 YEAR OLD, NAMED DRIVER... FRAUD!!!" :rolleyes:

If I bought a 2l Focus, got my dad to take out another insurance policy with me as a named driver... then only I ever drove it... YES, THAT would be fraud. However, that is far from what I am doing.

So don't label be a bull ******** or a criminal.

Caporegime
Scarfacé said:
Where did I say I was doing all of the driving? You and others just assumed. I work in Bristol... I leave the house @ 6am and get back home @ 6pm, I travel with a collegue and pay 50% of their petrol.

Therefore, I drive the car at weekends + sometimes afterwork only.

"OMG 17 YEAR OLD, NAMED DRIVER... FRAUD!!!" :rolleyes:

If I bought a 2l Focus, got my dad to take out another insurance policy with me as a named driver... then only I ever drove it... YES, THAT would be fraud. However, that is far from what I am doing.

So don't label be a bull ******** or a criminal.

Sorry but its not your policy so your not getting insurance at 17 for 38 per month simple as that its your patents policy, i mean i was getting insurance on a Primera GT for around that much when i was 18 but i didn't count for squat cause ITS NOT MY POLICY!

Soldato
50/50 said:
There isnt much point in insuring under your own name at 17, the premiums are ridiculous. At 18/19 the premiums dropped significantly for me, even though I still have 0NCB, which made it possible to insure under my name.
Not true, well not in my case anyway. With pass plus Norwich Union charged me £700 to insure a 1.4 Astra in my own name at 17. If you shop around/do pass plus you can get relatively cheap insurance at 17 (entirely dependant on the car/your area obviously.)

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
so your not getting insurance at 17 for 38 per month simple as that

The fact is, I AM!

I have fully comprehensive cover to drive a 2.0L Focus Ghia with 17" A/M allloy wheels thank you very much.

The only thing I'm not getting is NCB... but who cares for £38/month?

When it becomes more financially suitable to take my own policy out on a car that can do 0-60 in less than 10minutes.... I will ;)

Anyway, lets not take this too far off topic. :)

Caporegime
Scarfacé said:
The fact is, I AM!

I have fully comprehensive cover to drive a 2.0L Focus Ghia with 17" A/M allloy wheels thank you very much.

The only thing I'm not getting is NCB... but who cares for £38/month?

When it becomes more financially suitable to take my own policy out on a car that can do 0-60 in less than 10minutes.... I will ;)

Anyway, lets not take this too far off topic. :)

Alright then, i've got insurance on the following and the best bit is it costs me 0 per year!

55 Plate Megane Convertable

2x 55 plate mercs

3x 53 plate 330D

And the list goes on....

Go me!

Permabanned
Insurance companies are funny sometimes, I got a quote for a 1.4Astra from adrian flux a few days ago for £3600 or some silly amount like that, sent them an email complaining and they sent me a reply quoting £229 at 17! :confused: obviously a mistake but I should try and take the quote to see what they say!

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
Alright then, i've got insurance on the following and the best bit is it costs me 0 per year!

55 Plate Megane Convertable

2x 55 plate mercs

3x 53 plate 330D

And the list goes on....

Go me!

You seem to be incredibly childish... it's hardly something to brag about. You're trying to say I'm not insured on the vehicle, when clearly I am... as 2 months ago I had a producer which I had to show the policy notice to the police.

I'm guessing you're on about DOC cover, which is hardly the same... as you're only insured third party then.

Please do grow up. :rolleyes:

Caporegime
Scarfacé said:
I'm guessing you're on about DOC cover, which is hardly the same... as you're only insured third party then.

Please do grow up. :rolleyes:

Not in the slightest, most insurance company's have removed DOC cover from all policy's and who would let me drive a brand new car on 3rd party anyways, the above is the joys of being on the company insurance scheme so when I take a trip up north etc I can take one of our cars, how great is that :rolleyes:

I'm not making out your not insured at all I've never said that, this thread is about insurance for 17 year olds and what HE can afford as HIS car on HIS insurance, if you insured that car as YOURS you could NOT afford it for £38 per month, its only cause your a NAMED DRIVER that your getting it that cheap.

So your £38 per month has no baring on what he is trying to do and figure out what car he can afford.

I'm going to leave it at that, thank you and good night!

Associate
Firestar_3x said:
Not in the slightest, most insurance company's have removed DOC cover from all policy's and who would let me drive a brand new car on 3rd party anyways, the above is the joys of being on the company insurance scheme so when I take a trip up north etc I can take one of our cars, how great is that :rolleyes:

I'm not making out your not insured at all I've never said that, this thread is about insurance for 17 year olds and what HE can afford as HIS car on HIS insurance, if you insured that car as YOURS you could NOT afford it for £38 per month, its only cause your a NAMED DRIVER that your getting it that cheap.

So your £38 per month has no baring on what he is trying to do and figure out what car he can afford.

I'm going to leave it at that, thank you and good night!

Good night? Where the hell are you? :p

He actually didn't specify it had to be his own policy, did he?

The contribution I had to this thread was that you *can* legally insure cars faster than 1.1 Fiestas at 17 without paying loads of money to do so.

Yes, some people might prefere to build up their own NCB from 17 in a Corsa... this guy obviously wants something a bit quicker...

At the end of the day, whether I'm the policy holder or a named driver... I have a smash and they'll pay out... eg insurance.

Anyway, good night sir. ;)

Soldato
Named drivers build NCB with directline I think, saw it on a TV ad the other day.

My Rover 214i is about £350 cheaper to insure than my 2.0 Mondeo Ghia X.

The mondeo is probably 8insurance groups higher and hs twice the bhp.

Caporegime
Scarfacé said:
Good night? Where the hell are you?

Figure of speach....

Scarfacé said:
He actually didn't specify it had to be his own policy, did he?

Luke15 said:
I would be paying upto 1k for insurance, and my dad would be named on it aswell

He will be the Main driver Dad Named

Scarfacé said:
Yes, some people might prefere to build up their own NCB from 17 in a Corsa... this guy obviously wants something a bit quicker...

At the end of the day, whether I'm the policy holder or a named driver... I have a smash and they'll pay out... eg insurance.

At the end of the day if you don't take the hit now you will take the hit later in life when you want something fast and have 0 no claims, best to start early so you can get a faster car with cheaper insurance quicker.

Back
Top Bottom