Scratch Build: Blu & Red Aluminium - Sponsored by Gelid

Associate
OP
So I've been experimenting with the colours and painting affects the last few days. Here's what we'v got.

Practicing fading from red to blue on a scrap piece of MDF.
xhl3tSQm.jpg

Test pattern on a scrap piece of MDF.
1qVrvsvm.jpg

Prepping the pattern on the front radiator mount.
LSkdhYLm.jpg

After spraying.
xV4yB8rm.jpg

Mounted onto the frame. I'm pretty happy with it.
ShMCIstl.jpg

What do you guys think?

Associate
OP
Looks brill,What you going to use (if anything) to protect the paintwork from scratches/dings a clearcoat of some sort?

Very good question. I'm yet to look into this but it's on the agenda to research today. Initial thoughts are some kind of gloss clear coat like you said. Not sure what the other options might be, if any.

Soldato
i suppose a very thin piece of acrylic plastic could be used to go ontop of it,and just use the existing holes that are already there in your work to hold it against it?

Associate
OP
i suppose a very thin piece of acrylic plastic could be used to go ontop of it,and just use the existing holes that are already there in your work to hold it against it?

Interesting idea.

Here's an alternative design I put together this afternoon.
GHKgKqSl.jpg

Not sure which I prefer yet.

Soldato
Just something I thought up, because you never know how the clear coat is going to turn out do you, least with plexi don't have to put it on until its perfect, but is definitely additional work, I like both, probably would go with thr second design purely because the colours are sharper?

Associate
OP
Custom SATA cable made up today. The drives are mounted so close together on the back of the motherboard tray it doesn't make sense to have a conventional cable to power them.

Decided to match the colour scheme of the build even though the cable should never be seen as both the PSU and SSDs are below the motherboard tray.

L-bracket mounting for SSDs.
HO3zZ2tm.jpg

First wire added to connector.
A44yusQm.jpg

Checking the distance between the drives.
yevfSJGm.jpg

The metal locking parts had to be removed. It was too difficult to remove the connectors from the drives with them present. Also the push fit was more then enough to hold in place.
dJCy4hMm.jpg

Fully wired.
4mZo6KCm.jpg

Cover plates on.
ibjYcJhm.jpg

Added a third for another drive.
RHGIP2Dm.jpg

Then crimp the molex connectors (by hand, no crimp tools here!).
nPxNw4fm.jpg

All done.
q8KDyyjl.jpg

Soldato
Looks great very nice work so far. I’ve always wanted to do some kind of pc build like this where the case is completely built by myself.

I prefer the first design. Just maybe less red on the right side so you can see the red squares/triangles more? Both designs I think look great however.

Associate
OP
Looks great very nice work so far. I’ve always wanted to do some kind of pc build like this where the case is completely built by myself.

I prefer the first design. Just maybe less red on the right side so you can see the red squares/triangles more? Both designs I think look great however.

I've been dreaming of making a case for the last 15 years and I thought why not just go for it!

I would also agree that more visible shapes on the red would look better. Planning to do it over again sometime so will do that.

Today's update: Some progress today making the PSU panel. It contains the PSU, a 140mm exhaust fan and four USB ports.
Marked up:
Q8Hpfz8m.jpg

All cut out: (sorry for the wide and lens distortion and yellow lighting)
fJGn1cZm.jpg

The USB ports on the left were particularly challenging as I only have limited hand tools. The majority of the cutting on those was with a knife and finished with sandpaper over a screwdriver.

Associate
OP
Small update:
Put together the magnetic fan filters today. Filter + small neodymium = magnetic fan filter!
cXRbRwam.jpg

Countersunk, by hand, the screw holes so the filters would be flush with the panel.
BuyoKlJm.jpg

Lovely fit.
deuFE8Mm.jpg

Testing out on the panel. The best part is they are self positioning on the screw heads so you can almost slap them on and not worry!
HgnWl1Vm.jpg

Associate
OP
RIP Antec P280 case. This is the transition point where all the hardware comes out of the old case and there is no going back!

Marking up the motherboard tray for cutting.
IjHGaxtl.jpg

A mostly in-tact motherboard tray, minus a lot of rivets.
qunY8e2m.jpg

Trim one side.
WmN3weAm.jpg

Trim a second side.
0ogvJNYm.jpg

Trim a third side.
7WS77BAm.jpg

The finished result. Perfectly sized for the new case.
cMwr8gvm.jpg

Now for the IO and PCI bracket. Again with the rivets!
cfJVVfqm.jpg

After removal.
iaN4vHMm.jpg

Associate
OP
Now onto fitting the motherboard tray mount... mount.

Made some corner pieces to hold the mounting sheet in what I'm starting to call the mezzanine motherboard area.
kIvgYklm.jpg

Cut perfectly to size by hand!
ex75SVfm.jpg

Figuring out where to mount the motherboard tray so the IO lines up with the edge of the case.
zZApLIvm.jpg

0A5S18Fm.jpg

And finally with some hardware on it just to get a feel for what it will look like.
Ynxmjqul.jpg

Associate
OP
Got the screws in today for the power supply, them being imperial is a little irksome as everything else in the build is M3/4/5.

Got to manually counter sinking. Pretty happy with the job.
DOZ5KzSl.jpg

It's getting really awkward to remove and replace the panels as the nuts are quite hard to hold in place while undoing the bolt from the other side. To save any further frustration I decided to epoxy the nuts onto the l-brackets. Much better!
t8jWJwmm.jpg
cC3pKFal.jpg

Also also managed to mock up the reservoir mounts. They will be mounted to the edge of the motherboard mezzanine. Will get it mounted up and a picture taken tomorrow after some of the panels have dried from spray painting.
flQpt2Ll.jpg

The current plan is to have the tallest reservoirs I that will practically fit in the end of the case, potentially 300mm tall, leaving some room for tubing and fittings.

Associate
OP
Got a mysterious delivery today.

O1vhOtal.jpg

What could possibly be inside?!?!
mKZVHy3l.jpg

Fans... (7 x Gelid Silent 14 PWM)
LtBsRmEm.jpg

Fans... (6 x Gelid Silent 12 PWM)
Rf9M4CAm.jpg

More Fans... (Gelid Radiant-D RGB 120mm)
AFchhI4m.jpg

8VCdzOkl.jpg

Really excited to use the individually addressable Radiant D fans.
0Qt9t0kl.jpg

Especially with the COD16 ARGB Controller Kit, which uses an Arduino! Luckily I've got a fair bit of experience with Arduino so should be able to get into the code and have some fun.
C3pCyRil.jpg

Also a few other accessories like GC-Extreme thermal paste and GP-Ultimate thermal pads.
QZEJeVrl.jpg

The total package contents:
7 x Gelid Silent 14 PWM Fans
6 x Gelid Silent 12 PWM Fans
4 x Gelid Radiant-D 120mm Individually Addressable RGB Fans
2 x GC-Extreme Thermal Paste 1g
1 x GP-Ultimate Thermal Pad 1mm
1 x GP-Ultimate Thermal Pad 0.5mm

Thanks again to Gelid for supplying the goodies!
nN8Yq3Al.jpg

Associate
OP
So, what to do first with these fans. The only logical thing... replace the PSU fan! Spent about 20mins before this cleaning all of the dust out of the PSU, it was on the bottom of my previous case sucking everything out of the carpet. Disgusting.

Take the grill off.
QShslycl.jpg

Void the warranty, although I'm pretty sure than ran out a while ago.
CRPkMeHl.jpg

Check to make sure the new fan is a good fit.
VZ3tonql.jpg

Of course the pin out of the fan is different to a normal PWM fan. AND the connector is different.
fAXiUdZl.jpg

Had to get the oscilloscope on the pins to see which was which and luckily had some molex crimp pins the right size to transfer the fan wires to the PSU connector.
RBOBdwgl.jpg

Plugged in and verified working.
FtWsRIYl.jpg

All back together. Looks a lot smarter doesn't it! Also is a lot quieter.
iZbhCFOl.jpg

Thanks again to Gelid for supplying the goodies!
nN8Yq3Al.jpg

Back
Top Bottom