1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build: Blu & Red Aluminium - Sponsored by Gelid

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Sam__, Apr 21, 2020.

1. chippy08

Mobster

2. Sam__

Gangster

So this is a fun one...

Firstly enjoy the beautiful Gelid Radiant D fans.
    [​IMG]

In my enthusiasm for the RGB Radiant D fans I may have been hot swapping them on the COD16 controller and touched the data line of the RGB controls on the 12V line for the fans motor. As you may have already concluded this did not end well. Some of the LEDs immediately turned off and then none of them turned back on when the connector was re-seated. This required some investigative work to find the issue.

Prepped for surgery:
    [​IMG]

There was a really awkward retention washer. Took a lot of patients and some good tweezer work to remove.
    [​IMG]

We're in!
    [​IMG]

Well there's your problem sir...
    [​IMG]

Four of the LEDs were burned out. And because they are in series. like Christmas tree lights, none work if the first one's duff. So by shorting the dead ones I managed to prove the good ones were fully operational.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

So now I'm waiting on some replacement WS2812B's to arrive and I'll pop the bad ones off and throw the new ones on. Should be good as new.

Thanks again to Gelid for supplying the goodies!
    [​IMG]

3. Sam__

Gangster

Big update time:

Here's a mock up of the rear of the case with the PSU panel and PCI & I/O panel in place. A few extra USB ports on the lower left, because I use a LOT of USB apparently. Along with a 140mm exhaust fan. Gelid Silent 14 of course.
    [​IMG]

Another mock up of the reservoirs in place using the mounting bracket made earlier. Just imagine these twice as tall as some 300mm reservoirs are on the way! These two smaller ones may find their way somewhere else in the case when the big ones arrive.
    [​IMG]

Both of the radiators were pretty bashed up so I felt they deserved a new coat of paint. Here you can see the damage to the 420mm EK rad.
    [​IMG]

All taped up and ready to go.
    [​IMG]

Looking a hell of a lot better.
    [​IMG]

The 360mm rad was also gloss black so it needed painting anyway.
    [​IMG]

Planning out the rest of the loop using old tubing got a bit busy so some 90 degree angles are on the way, which should make it a lot better.
    [​IMG]

Who wants a screen on their case! An old tablet I've not used in years will be used to show temps and fans speeds etc.
    [​IMG]

The tablet was white, so like everything else, had to be painted!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a mock up with a lot of the panel in place. Still not sure which paint scheme to use in the end. Will see what inspires me on the day.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again to Gelid for the support!
    [​IMG]

4. pugheaven

Wise Guy

Wow your'e flying along on this one, look epic... keep up the good work that man!

5. FloppyPoppy

Soldato

Only came in here because i saw Gelid...

i really miss using Gelid GC extreme it was such a fantastic paste such a shame ocuk no longer stock it. Leagues ahead of this grizzly tosh we get thrown in our faces now.

6. Sam__

Gangster

Update:
    Done a little priming today and put all the panels in the case to get a feel for how it's going to look. Also glued on the magnets for the GPU window.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks again to Gelid for the support!
    [​IMG]

7. Sam__

Gangster

Yeah, really trying to make the most of my furlough! Thank you very much for the kind words.

I'm genuinely excited to use the GC extreme. No one seems to talk about it but everything I've read puts it right up there with the best.