[Scratch case] Project Duplex

Associate
OP
Furyus: Thx buddy!

Mole: I did tryr something similar but with a flat top instead of the pointy one. The acrylic cover looked weird but it may be better with a point instead. i would really like the reservoir in the top, makes it so easier with the loop if it is in the highest point :)

Uncle Petey: Thx man! Hopefully it will work great, otherwise it will be a 2 sided case with all parts on one side :D

d_brennen: Thx man! I was thinking i could solder a port on the back side but i do not have the skills for it and i def can't afford to buy more parts if i mess these up :) Also the mod needs to be done in the end of January so i don't have much time

Deus Ex: Cheers man!

systemerror: Thx buddy!

BuZ: ;)

GreasyDiablo88: Thx buddy!

Associate
OP
Finally an update! Was a lot harder to get the profile than i thought. Living in the country side has its drawbacks :)

First i would like to say a big Thanks to OCZ and Mr J. for believing in me and sponsoring me with a 256GB Vector drive. Will take some nice pictures of it as soon as i get it back. Took it to a place to make it fit the build a bit better. More on that in another update :)
b926c380-48f3-44ba-aeb9-fa63383cfa0d_zpsc8add0f1.jpg

The profile, Ordered 2mm thick profile but when i got it it was only 1,5mm. Oh well, would have been nice with 2mm for threading but 1,5mm will be enough.... i hope.
a1_zps0816110b.jpg

after cutting all the profiles with a hand saw and I milled them to the right angle and size.
a2_zps8002ca7c.jpg

De burring all the edges
a3_zpsf7436b05.jpg

All profiles except one
a4_zpsa57f58c0.jpg

Welding it all together. Was too optimistic with the welding. I did not think it would warp as much as it did. All in all it was only a mm or 2 off but due to so many angles and lengths it looked so crooked I did not wanna use it.
a6_zpsaa8c5579.jpg

Plan B: Cut off all the legs, straighten out one leg that was a bit warped. The rest were fine. Then mill all of the legs at once to make sure they are all the same length and straight
a8_zps4149d551.jpg

Decided instead of welding i would make inserts to bolt into the profile and into the base and top. This way it's easier to keep straight and also a lot easier when its time to paint. Should have thought about this before
a9_zpsb196687d.jpg

Tapping the inserts
a10_zpsfd0e3f6e.jpg

a11_zps90b22dee.jpg

All done. Still need to clean up to get it looking really nice but will leave that until its time to paint
a13_zpsee818b7c.jpg

The base
a14_zpsd67813bf.jpg

Made a 2mm sheet and pressed it inside the profile, welded it and after milled it straight. If i can get another profile i might make a 45 degree cut instead. Would look a lot nicer.
a15_zpscba40c1a.jpg

Time for some sheet metal work. Sticking with 2mm aluminum. Don't know what this is called but it is very useful.
a18_zpscbda8631.jpg

a17_zps9d7393d1.jpg

The panel is divided into 3 pieces for now while i work with the pieces. I might weld them together at a later stage. Still need to drill a lot of holes and cut some openings in them.
a19_zps39843351.jpg

Drilled and getting ready to tap
a20_zpsfe458e7e.jpg

a21_zps9fb1f89a.jpg

Had to try a mobo on it. Case looks huge and it is a bit big but u think it will shrink a bit once i start adding things to it
a22_zps1f25a648.jpg

Sponsored by

Soldato
Great work so far, shame it warped but the choice you've made to fabricate will still retain much of the strength to stop any further warping!

Pics on your original post (from CM forum) are down/unavailable. Work process pics (photobucket) are working ok though :)

Associate
OP
So a very small update. Have been busy helping mum and dad move house, so have not had any time for modding but picked something up on Friday that i thought i would share with you.

My first part for the build, a 256GB Vector drive.
1_zpsaff69ed0.jpg

Content: SSD, a mounting plate, screws, a sticker, a manual and a key for acronis true image
2_zpsbd59ef3e.jpg

The drive, looks great but didn't really fit the black and red build i'm doing. so decided to make some minor changes.
3_zpsa5753ab5.jpg

Didn't wanna go too crazy with these as i want it to look enough original but still fit the design
A solid black one, this was very hard to photograph, probably took 50 photos and didn't get a single good one. Need to read up on how to take proper photos :)
4_zps2829a16a.jpg

5_zps36ec0c78.jpg

6_zps5410468c.jpg

A black metallic one
7_zps25d1b325.jpg

8_zpsf05d30f3.jpg

Made enough stickers so i have a few to mess up, or if i wanna make a small raid :D
9_zpsc377d726.jpg

Sponsored by

Associate
Great looking build so far, the size took me by surprise from the initial image I assumed with was smaller.

Out of interest how did you go about creating the stickers? Doesn't look like a simple inkjet/laser printer job.

Associate
I love seeing these types of build, theres just something about a case being built from scratch that appeals to me. The design is excellent looking forward to seeing it when it is complete :)

Associate
OP
So clean looking, can't wait to see some more :)

Thx!

Great looking build so far, the size took me by surprise from the initial image I assumed with was smaller.

Out of interest how did you go about creating the stickers? Doesn't look like a simple inkjet/laser printer job.

I might have stretched it a bit since the design :) I took it to a guy where i live that makes stickers for a living, better quality and fairly cheap i hope (have not gotten an invoice yet :) But i took the harddrive to him and told him to make the blue black :)

I love seeing these types of build, theres just something about a case being built from scratch that appeals to me. The design is excellent looking forward to seeing it when it is complete :)

Thx buddy!

Back
Top Bottom