Sea of Thieves - released March 20th

Associate
The game's been slaughtered by some of the reviews

A meaningless repetitive grind with rubbish ai and no upgrades.
I'm staying away from this shambles...

Associate
I can understand the reviews, but as a light hearted frolic with some chums it is fun. It is not hardcore nor do I think it is supposed to be.
A shambles? A bit harsh. I just don't think Rare's idea of SoT is on the same wave length as gamers used to levelling up etc.
If you have game pass, get some chums together to form a crew and have a go.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
It's a good laugh with some friends, but I can see the appeal waning quickly. I said the same in the PC thread, the core game is solid, but it really needs more to do.
  • There should be bigger islands with places to explore, mini dungeons or the like with traps to navigate.
  • There should be world events that require pirate crews to team up to conquer or congregate to compete against each other for rewards.
  • Quests should be more varied.
  • Needs a load more enemy types.
  • Weapons and ship upgrade costs need adjusting, and should offer more than just cosmetic appearance. They should give flavour to your character and ship by augmenting your standard skills.
  • Cosmetic drop chances should be added to bosses/treasure chests instead of everything just being a gold grind.
At the moment the game feels like a very polished early access game with most of the core mechanics in place but very little actual content. It's going to be one of those that in about a years time will have taken on board the plethora of suggestions on how to improve the game and be fantastic... or dead.

Soldato
It's a good laugh with some friends, but I can see the appeal waning quickly. I said the same in the PC thread, the core game is solid, but it really needs more to do.
  • There should be bigger islands with places to explore, mini dungeons or the like with traps to navigate.
  • There should be world events that require pirate crews to team up to conquer or congregate to compete against each other for rewards.
  • Quests should be more varied.
  • Needs a load more enemy types.
  • Weapons and ship upgrade costs need adjusting, and should offer more than just cosmetic appearance. They should give flavour to your character and ship by augmenting your standard skills.
  • Cosmetic drop chances should be added to bosses/treasure chests instead of everything just being a gold grind.
At the moment the game feels like a very polished early access game with most of the core mechanics in place but very little actual content. It's going to be one of those that in about a years time will have taken on board the plethora of suggestions on how to improve the game and be fantastic... or dead.

I agree on of them points, I was thinking about the islands as well, it would be cool to have much bigger islands to explore, providing they increase the map size in general, also adding more NPCs to areas not just outposts. Maybe add small towns/villages on some islands filled with NPC's just to make the world feel more alive and add trading and mini games where your crew and other crews can hang out, this would need to be some kind of safe zone.
Maybe if they just improve the outposts, really quite and nothing to do but get same old quests and customise character at present.
The game has got a superb foundation to be something truly awesome, but will it become what us players hope for.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There needs to be a better variation of missions, the ones that are there at the moment quickly become stale.

PVP would be all well and good but the instances don't have enough players, you can go hours without seeing anyone.

Soldato
I can't see why there is so much surprise that the game is, well rubbish. I never had any real interest in it as it always looked like a indie game, similar to how no mans sky felt. That was confirmed when I played the beta which was bad enough, at the time I couldn't think of one good thing so say about it other than nice water.

Unfortunately as MS have pretty much no games they had to get the hype train rolling on this one. Maybe in 12 months the game will be completely different but as is always the case players would have left by then and it will be dead if it's not already.

Soldato
I can't see why there is so much surprise that the game is, well rubbish. I never had any real interest in it as it always looked like a indie game, similar to how no mans sky felt. That was confirmed when I played the beta which was bad enough, at the time I couldn't think of one good thing so say about it other than nice water.

Unfortunately as MS have pretty much no games they had to get the hype train rolling on this one. Maybe in 12 months the game will be completely different but as is always the case players would have left by then and it will be dead if it's not already.

It doesn't appear to be rubbish given the amount of airtime the game is getting. It was top of the UK charts last week, and is currently in the top 10 games being streamed on Twitch.tv with 21k viewers and rising this morning. It would certainly seem that some are having their fun in the game.

Soldato
It doesn't appear to be rubbish given the amount of airtime the game is getting. It was top of the UK charts last week, and is currently in the top 10 games being streamed on Twitch.tv with 21k viewers and rising this morning. It would certainly seem that some are having their fun in the game.

That's not an indication of how good a game is though, same can be said for No Man Sky. The point being the game was hyped, the popular streamers would play it for that reason and therefore it gets the views. Let's see how it's doing in a month or so.

Soldato
Angry Joe review does rather nail it to be honest, you compare what Rare/MS promised versus what's there at the moment and it's hard not to be disappointed even as someone who wasn't that hyped. It looks gorgeous but it's just an empty game right now.

Associate
I might be the only one but I think I’m addicted to sot. I honestly can’t wait to get on the game, relax and sail around doing the small amount that is there. I know it’s lacking in content but I really enjoy it.

There is something about it for me personally.

Soldato
You're not the only one I love it too. It may wear thin after a while but right now I just love sailing around doing a few quests or whatever. The sounds are wonderful. I love the little wooden clunk of the wheel when you hit the north notch. Or the sound of a shovel hitting treasure. The lurch and creaks and complaints from the ship if you anchor with some sail still down. I love the sloop and I love playing solo.

Soldato
I might be the only one but I think I’m addicted to sot. I honestly can’t wait to get on the game, relax and sail around doing the small amount that is there. I know it’s lacking in content but I really enjoy it.

There is something about it for me personally.

I'm the same, can easily just sail around and explore. I love the core mechanics, looking forward to what they may add to the game, it can only improve.

HeX

HeX

Soldato
Gutted last night, had done a couple of treasure quests and had 4 chests aboard, then found a message in a bottle for an island close by with 4 more chests on it! Had just finished packing them all down below when a galleon came swooping by with fancy sails and hull paint (must have put some hours in!) and annihilated my sloop and all 8 chests :(

Soldato
Gutted last night, had done a couple of treasure quests and had 4 chests aboard, then found a message in a bottle for an island close by with 4 more chests on it! Had just finished packing them all down below when a galleon came swooping by with fancy sails and hull paint (must have put some hours in!) and annihilated my sloop and all 8 chests :(

Bad luck, its a pain when that happens but all part of the game, that's the issue playing solo, much harder to do everything and keep lookout at the same time.

Soldato
I had a little tussle with another sloop last night. It's difficult to sail and fight! It was fun though and both ships ended up going down. We had a bit of a gunfight on a beach but there were two of them and one of me. I died but it was fun all the same :)

I found a sunken ship (or partially sunken) last night. Noticed its broken mast in the distance with loads of birds circling it. I sailed to it, swam down and found a ton of stuff in the hold. Managed to get it all back to a vendor for a good amount of gold. I don't know if the patch made any difference but there seems to be a lot more stuff (tea, silk, chests, bottles) around - or maybe I was just lucky.

Soldato
I had a little tussle with another sloop last night. It's difficult to sail and fight! It was fun though and both ships ended up going down. We had a bit of a gunfight on a beach but there were two of them and one of me. I died but it was fun all the same :)

I found a sunken ship (or partially sunken) last night. Noticed its broken mast in the distance with loads of birds circling it. I sailed to it, swam down and found a ton of stuff in the hold. Managed to get it all back to a vendor for a good amount of gold. I don't know if the patch made any difference but there seems to be a lot more stuff (tea, silk, chests, bottles) around - or maybe I was just lucky.

Apart from chests\skulls, what else can you sell to vendors, I heard you can sell gunpowder barrels, is there a particular vendor you sell this stuff to?

Back
Top Bottom