Seagate 7200.10 320Gb - Silent @ OCUK

Associate
I don't know if this applies to every hard drive currently being sold by OCUK, but I bought a few on Tuesday and the two I have tested so far are absolutely silent! Can't hear them above a Scythe 1200RP 12cm fan. (Which is pretty damned quiet!).

The glue is a clear greenish and date code is 07185.

Permabanned
Errr....I'm confused.... ;)

lolxt6.jpg

Associate
The noisy drive post was nearly a month ago (bad batch?) - i think what they are saying is that the current Seagates in OcUK stock are quiet.

Associate
byron_hinson said:
Seagate I got just yesterday from OCuk is noisy and is the pink paste.
This is strange as the pink paste ones from china are all quiet untill now!
1st poster has the green singapore ones - its unusual for the same dealer to have both types in stock?

Soldato
MikeHunt79 said:
I'm gonna buy 6 of these soon for a raid 5 setup...

If I end up with a noisy one, is there much hassle in getting it exchanged?
The problem from the supplier's POV is that it isn't actually faulty so you may meet some resistance.

Associate
I got one of the noisy ones.

Just fitted into a Silentmaxx drive enclosure and the temperatures have dropped from 44 to 36. Noise wise its much much quieter.
Can't recommend the enclosure enough!

(running a very quiet watercooling setup)

Last edited:
Soldato
Gommsta said:
I got one of the noisy ones.

Just fitted into a Silentmaxx drive enclosure and the temperatures have dropped from 44 to 36. Noise wise its much much quieter.
Can't recommend the enclosure enough!

(running a very quiet watercooling setup)
I do use one of those silentmaxx enclosures on my raptor. Great of you have space in the case.

My 6 drive fileserver RAID thing will be in a MINI-ITX case, so I only have 2 x 5 1/4 inch slots to play with. This is why I'm going to try my best to find 6 that are quiet as possible. :)

Associate
Got a green one and it's silent too.

Btw I don't see what all the fuss is about these drives. Got mine and it doesn't seem any quicker than my diamondmax 10.

Associate
OP
xsnv said:
Got a green one and it's silent too.

Btw I don't see what all the fuss is about these drives. Got mine and it doesn't seem any quicker than my diamondmax 10.

Bench it. - And make sure you remove the jumper on the Seagate. It's only SATA-1 with it left in place.

Associate
OP
MikeHunt79 said:
I'm gonna buy 6 of these soon for a raid 5 setup...

If I end up with a noisy one, is there much hassle in getting it exchanged?

Not under the distance selling regulations. Instead of formatting it, run a diagnostic tool on it. You'll soon tell if it's a noisy one, if it is, return it.

Back
Top Bottom