Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - Any good?

Associate
Was wondering what the drive owners thought of this cards speed & performance? I have 2 old drives and heard this was a good card, but I prefer real owners to speculation and graphs. Tempted to buy an enclosure for it, will have to be an imitation of the SilentMaxx due to OCuk selling out

Soldato
I havent got one persoanlly, but from what ive heard and read, they are one of the best drives out there at the moment. The Raptors still beat them in terms of performance, but for value for money and as a general large drive, the 7200.10 is the best.

Soldato
I'm stunned. Not only is it a Seagate (5yr Warranty as standard, renowned for good reliability) but for me it is quiet, very fast (HDTach 67.4MB/s 12.9ms access time), at the forefront of technology with perpendcular recording, relatively inexpensive and I just run out of superlatives - I've had mine for about 6 days and I love it.

Soldato
james.miller said:
its the best 320gb drive you can buy, bar none, with the longest warrenty as well.

I've said it before, right now the seagates are untouchable.
'right now' - I think they've been unouchable longer and now they've reached a whole new plateau.

Soldato
i dont agree with that. The 7200.9's were nothing special, and often outperformed by the 8's from memory. I remember seeing a preview of perpendicular technology....it must have been a year back.....but it wasn't from samsung, it was hitachi.

'get perpendicular'. anybody remember this? http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/research/recording_head/pr/PerpendicularAnimation.html

Their drives are nowhere to be seen however lol

Soldato
Heh, I knew you'd disagree :D. I never owned a .9 - instead I have a trust .7 and .8 and some even older like a 6GB momentus and 1GB drive (not even sure of the model) both of which are rock solid and never even thrown up a bad sector, even 10 years on.

Soldato
:eek: :D
The 8's were great drives when they were release, i *believe (i might have timescales wrong here) that the 9's were released are the same time as the hitachi t7k250's. At that time the hitachi's were ruling the roost, which is why i went for the 250gb hitachi (still a great drive)

My next drive will alomst certainly be a seagate. I dont think there's ever been a time where one manufature has pulled of such a feat - the best warrenties and the best performance:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Your final statement is definitely true - I will concede to that. Raptors came closest but storage and price really put them out of the consumer market. They are the anomoly.

Still we are digressing :D - the 320GB 7200.10 is THE best 300GB drive (although 320GB giving 298GB of usage) around bar none. I'm sure if the bigger 500GB and 750GB drives perform the same, well then, goodbye everyone else.

Soldato
james.miller said:
they perform better ;)
I love the Hitachi animation - how funny was that. It's the first time I've seen that.

So it's errr, goodbye everyone else then. It was nice knowing you, thanks for dropping in, don't let the door hit you on the way out.

EDIT: Oh I geddit - and I thought you wanted the last word and were correcting me - :o - call it uni finals exam result stress.

Last edited:
Soldato
Yeah, umm, results out today you see, I'm heading in to go find out - [insert expletive here], [oh and another one], [go on, treat yourself to a third], [and one for luck].

Associate
Yep, I have one execellent drive, I ran tests using Si Soft Sandra, and it said the only drives faster, where RAID setups. It was even faster than a standalone U320 SCSI drive. ;).

Associate
Thumbs up

I got one at the weekend & was very impressed. Fast & quiet. Don't forget to remove the jumper if you have SATAII to get 3gb/s as opposed to 1.5.

It came just wrapped in two jiffy bags plus the plastic manufacturers case which caused me a bit of buttock clenching. (oh how those cheeky posties like to play tennis with fragile stuff;)) So I installed Seatools & did a full surface scan which returned no errors.

Back
Top Bottom