Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - Any good?

Soldato
of course raptors are faster, its been said in this thread already. They are also vastly more expensive. You could try reading the thread.

that's a yes to both your questions, and there is an edit button.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I decided to bite the bullet and go for one of these babies, should be with me tomorrow, but I did a whoopsie and forgot to order a SATA connector cable. I dont really want to spend more for the postage than the actual cable to order from here.

I have to be careful when I say this. If I was wondering down the local high street, might there be any electrical stores I could buy one in? Maybe a world of PC's? Does it matter whether its a £5 cable or a £50 one for example?

Associate
SpinyNorman said:
I got one at the weekend & was very impressed. Fast & quiet. Don't forget to remove the jumper if you have SATAII to get 3gb/s as opposed to 1.5.

It came just wrapped in two jiffy bags plus the plastic manufacturers case which caused me a bit of buttock clenching. (oh how those cheeky posties like to play tennis with fragile stuff;)) So I installed Seatools & did a full surface scan which returned no errors.

Mmmhhh interesting, does the drive default to SATAI then? , and if I enable SATAII on it, would it make much of a difference?

Soldato
danceMB said:
I decided to bite the bullet and go for one of these babies, should be with me tomorrow, but I did a whoopsie and forgot to order a SATA connector cable. I dont really want to spend more for the postage than the actual cable to order from here.

I have to be careful when I say this. If I was wondering down the local high street, might there be any electrical stores I could buy one in? Maybe a world of PC's? Does it matter whether its a £5 cable or a £50 one for example?

Yes you will be able to get one from the highstreet, and no it doesnt matter how much it costs.

Associate
Hard disks are nearly always more expensive on the high street. You need to pay for the privalage of being patronised by some little kiddy in the shop who knows nothing. ;)

Seagate has always made quality drives and you can never go wrong by sticking with them. I have many Seagate drives in my systems, some of them 10 years old!!

They are also much more reliable that Western Digital. ;)

Soldato
MAllen said:
Hard disks are nearly always more expensive on the high street. You need to pay for the privalage of being patronised by some little kiddy in the shop who knows nothing. ;)

Seagate has always made quality drives and you can never go wrong by sticking with them. I have many Seagate drives in my systems, some of them 10 years old!!

They are also much more reliable that Western Digital. ;)

He's not after the harddrive from the hightstreet, just the SATA cable.

Associate
Neither, I'm a realist.

Simple Rule for using RAID 0 - If you use RAID 0, then treat all the physical disks as one disk and forget about it, just accept that if one fails you've lost your 'disk'.

:)

Associate
messiah khan said:
Yeah you've lost your disk, but also 960Gb of data. Which IMO is a lot of data to loose in one go.

Who's said that I've created one big 900GB volume.... :confused: I've just said that I've used three 320GB disks.

Associate
james.miller said:
its still raid-0 :confused: you still loose everything that's on the drives if one fails lol

Indeed, but as i've said earlier I've accepted the risk associated with Raid-0.

Anyway, back to the topic... the Seagate 7200.10 disks are ace. :)

Soldato
Hey guys,

Got 2 of these babbies in RAID0, NTFS.

Very quiet and VERY fast, excellent value for money :p

One thing though...

What should the overall size of 2 of these drives be, once formatted?

Mine are showing as being under 600GB; is that right?

Cheers,

SW.

Soldato
sam.wheale said:
Hey guys,

Got 2 of these babbies in RAID0, NTFS.

Very quiet and VERY fast, excellent value for money :p

One thing though...

What should the overall size of 2 of these drives be, once formatted?

Mine are showing as being under 600GB; is that right?

Cheers,

SW.

Yeah, thats exactly what they should be. Each drive is about 298Gb formatted

Back
Top Bottom