Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 320GB - Any good?

Soldato
Elric said:
Neither, I'm a realist.

Simple Rule for using RAID 0 - If you use RAID 0, then treat all the physical disks as one disk and forget about it, just accept that if one fails you've lost your 'disk'.

:)

Can I ask why you didnt just get a 4th and go Raid 0+1 (as most raid mobo's and controllers are now able to do this )

Then you get the best of both worlds surely?

Back to original subject - I just got a couple of the 250Gb varieties and they are a class above I have to admit

Until recently I always believed in Maxtors until two 16Mb cache drives approaching 6 months old both started having continuous read / write errors

Associate
OP
This has come as the bare "drive only", cant really moan as it did state "OEM" at the time but it occured to me that I need the SATA driver for this. Do I need to get a floppy disk from somewhere then download the drivers onto the floppy somewhere?

I have an Abit IC7 Max 3 mobo if that helps?

Last edited:
Soldato
Elric said:
If i had 4 disks, I'd still go Raid 0. I don't need to ensure my data is secure.

Don't mean to be nosey, but... Just out of interest what do you use your drives for? Most of the people I know with large storage systems use them for Photography/Video editing/Music etc, which would be terrible if they lost that data. Im just curious as to why you need so much space for 'non critical' data.

Associate
messiah khan said:
Don't mean to be nosey, but... Just out of interest what do you use your drives for? Most of the people I know with large storage systems use them for Photography/Video editing/Music etc, which would be terrible if they lost that data. Im just curious as to why you need so much space for 'non critical' data.

I don't need the space at all, i'm just using multiple drives for the performance.

With the current price on the 320GB Seagate drives I'm happy enough to get a few and not use all the space. Last year 250 GB's were the right price point, I didn't need 250GB on a desktop then either. I'm sure in the next 6-12 months it'll be 500GB disks at a good price point.

All of my data is stored on servers, my desktop pc's are expendable, if a failure occurs who cares, it's just an image restore away. That's why I dont bother with Mirroring or R5 on a desktop.

If i only had one PC and all my data was stored there, then there would be a different set of requirements for storage, which reliability and fault tolerance would be on the list.

Back
Top Bottom