Seagate shipping 8tb drives

Caporegime
Desktop or Archive?

Just regular old desktop hard drives, there are some Barracuda's in there, a Spinpoint, and a couple of WD greens.

Some for file storage, some for auto backups.

At the time I didn't know the difference, and I bought whatever was cheapest. I would have upgraded to proper archive/enterprise drives if I felt that I needed them, but these have been fine *touch wood*.

I'm sure that the correct equipment would be best, but a hard drive won't just disintegrate if you don't use it for its intended purpose.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I think we are at a time in life where the lifespan of misusing hardware is longer then the lifespan of said hardware becoming obsolete.
For example, overclocking processors takes their lifespan from 50 years to like 10 years or something I remember reading a while back. Anyone who overclocks likely replaces the processors every few years.
Same with storage drives. Anyone using desktop drives as always on server / nas drives likely would replace them every few years with greater capacities anyway.

I generally ignore the lifetime reduction warnings...

Soldato
If you convert the USD price to GBP you come to about £170 but it'll never sell here at that price. For starters the US prices usually exclude VAT.

LordBarrass, above, said OcUK price will be about £250.

Soldato
They're hardly a rip off??

It's a lower cost per gigabyte than the current WD Green 6TB drives and not that far off barracuda 3TB drives.

Soldato
Will see if the £/gb drops for the 4Tb, and weigh up whether to buy another 4Tb or splash out for an 8Tb.

I'd assume these will run hotter than the 4 platter drives.

Associate
It all depends on the Dollar rate when the products land. Also the prices listed in America are without sales tax and some states it can be 15% so the pricing you see in America is not always correct. But yes we normally get robbed.

Soldato
Well it's being sold for ~£250 at some places. I wonder if spoffle feels silly about his comments on the first page now.

Not going near them at that price.

Back
Top Bottom