Seasonic Prime PX-850 850W - Random Shutdowns

Associate
Hi,

I built a new PC during lockdown and have had on and off issues with it randomly shutting down and re-booting. Initially it would do it on the desktop or at idle however since updating the bios/drivers that issue seems to have gone but it is now occasionally doing it during high load scenarios like games.

My Specs are as follows:

Seasonic Prime PX-850 850W
AMD 3800XT & Corsair H100
ASUS X570-F Motherboard
Corsair 32GB 3600Mhz Ram
Nvidia 3070 (Gigabyte OC)
NVMe & SSD & Storage Hard Drive

Has anyone else had similar issues? I've trawled every forum page and tried fixes both software and hardware wise, checked everything so I'm beginning to think it may be a faulty PSU. From my research it seems that Seasonic PSUs are quite sensitive to voltage spikes and will shut down frequently, there also seems to be some potential issues with the 3000s causing voltage spikes, could this combination be the culprit? As I don't have access to any alternative parts to try if anyone could shed some light on this or provide suggestions I'd be very grateful!

Soldato
The first thing to do is make sure all the PSU cables are plugged in fully at both ends. Take the opportunity to inspect for damage. Secondly, make sure your GPU is plugged into two separate PCIe cables, not two connectors on the same cable.

Soldato
I would check to see if the fan is spinning and cooling the psu, i had a seasonic psu recently that had a DOA fan. I thought it was the hybrid mode causing the fan to not spin but it never span at all causing random shutdowns.

Soldato
Would think it's more likely to be GPU related than psu, make sure your not overclocking the GPU and if it's happening at stock then try underclocking the core / VRAM and see if that fixes the reboots as it would point to an unstable card.

Could also be the CPU that's causing it so setting a manual all core at say 4ghz @1.27v to rule that out.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll try underclocking on my GPU and turning the PSU fan on rather than the hybrid mode first and see if that solves it.
It's very rare at the moment just a pain, It's probably happened once in the last 50 hours of gameplay over various games and on previous occasions seems to be around the same interval so it's very hard to assess what the specific issue is with it not occurring that frequently.

I initially had an issue with the CPU causing shutdowns, this seems to have been fixed with the last few BIOS updates, it was happening pretty much every time I went on my PC even for a very short time. (If you google 'amd ryzen random restart' you'll see the number of forum posts about the issue) It's quite possible that the BIOS is not 100% stable yet and it's still the CPU causing it just less frequently, that's the only other thing I can think it could be.

Back
Top Bottom