self-defence

Soldato
This is what I carry everywhere (though mine is an older model without the hook thing) http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.php?productid=311&cat=249&page=1 I've had it since I was 10.

One of these would need 'good reason' as it has a locking blade http://www.swisstool.co.uk/st/product.php?productid=377&cat=259&page=1
Despite the fact that as a tool, it would be more useful to me than the ordinary penknife above.

It is my thinking that the kneejerk reaction of zero knife tolerance as it pertains to knife crime here in the UK is exactly that - an overreaction stimulated by politicians who need to be see to be 'tackling the problem head on' (insert management speak BS here).
That doesn't mean people who abuse or otherwise threaten others with a knife shouldn't fall foul of the law.

The last time I was arrested (in town late at might on a weekday), all of my stuff was emptied out, including my penknife and no-one in the custody suite batten an eyelid at the OMG!!!AKNIFE!!! swiss army penknife.
It, along with everything else, was returned to me when I was allowed to continue on my way and go home.

Now this is where context becomes relevant to what the police decide to do. If I was a mouthy, abusive and violent little ****, shouting "ahma gonna stik yah wi mah blade!" at all and sundry, then things might have been different.

I do not require 'good reason' to carry my penknife wherever I like.
My fixed blade and my folding saw and my small axe/billhook (I don't carry all of these) that I use when camping and hiking need 'good reason' - the reason is making camp and cutting firewood out in the middle of nowhere. I would not walk through town with them, unless it was to get the bus to be dropped off somewhere out of town to go camping. Those would be 'good reasons' to carry those items, when considered against the backpack, waterproofs, hammock, tarp, food and spare clothes etc etc it becomes plainly obvious what these items use will be. What their use will not be is as offensive weapons.

Carrying my billhoohk around town under my jacket on a friday night down the pub is what our current knife laws are designed to prevent and punish. And rightly so.
They are not designed to make ordinary law-abiding people into criminals, even for the sake of statistics.

As I said before, no honest copper is going to waste his time attempting to make trouble where there is none to be found.

Associate
How about a doggy? no one would mess with you if you had brutus on your lead
14iiza1.jpg

Associate
Why would you want to defend yourself against a criminal. Its not his fault he wants to cause you harm and steal your hard earned possessions.

No! You are not allowed to defend yourself as you might injure him and he may never be able to steal again. If you cut his hand he may be entitled to compensation as he needs them for his job (stealing). Remember criminals have more rights than you. even though they cause harm to others.

This country is so messed up its beyond belief ... Welcome to the UK...

Soldato
Why would you want to defend yourself against a criminal. Its not his fault he wants to cause you harm and steal your hard earned possessions.

No! You are not allowed to defend yourself as you might injure him and he may never be able to steal again. If you cut his hand he may be entitled to compensation as he needs them for his job (stealing). Remember criminals have more rights than you. even though they cause harm to others.

This country is so messed up its beyond belief ... Welcome to the UK...

There's been some silly cases of the burgler injuring himself when they jumped out of the window when they were caught by the homeowner and then successfully suing them for their injuries. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure if they're true though, could be urban myths.

Last edited:
Commissario
There's been some silly cases of the burgler injuring himself when they jumped out of the window when they were caught by the homeowner and then successfully suing them for their injuries. It's ridiculous. I'm not sure if they're true though, could be urban myths.

Could?

They almost always are, or the reported circumstances have little to do with the facts as presented to the court - iirc the cases where a criminal has hurt themselves and been successful in suing have generally been cases where the property owner has been seriously negligent in a manner that could have hurt an innocent party (IE kid trying to get a ball back/emergency services), or already illegal (IE laying out traps)

Soldato
Blades are the most oldest and useful tools ever created by man. There's a reason the law specifically states "you may carry a knife with a blade length of 3.0" or less so long as it is capable of folding.". It's because it's soo bloomin useful! :D

The Offensive Weapon clause applies to anything that can be used to cause bodily harm.

Which section specifically states that then?

Bladed and Sharply Pointed articles only applies to folding blades that lock and are over 3" long, but I don't see anything that specifically gives anyone permission to carry anything.

Glaucus is quite correct, a blade thats "legal" under s139 could well fall under offensive weapon legislation.

And someone said about the police proving you had a blade under <3" for self defence. It's not neccessary for the police to prove it, if its an offensive weapon, its up to you to prove you have reasonable excuse or lawful authority.

Back
Top Bottom