• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

sell 1080ti + gsync monitor?

Soldato
Silly to downgrade.

It all boils down to the user and what they feel is a downgrade. Sure 1080ti to vega is a downgrade in performance. But a better monitor is also an upgrade.
So it swings both ways, personally I wouldn't do the change and would wait for Next Gen GPUs by then they should also be more HDR monitors out for better competition.

Permabanned
Not a bad idea if you can get a bit more for the two. It's what AMD was trying to educate people on during the run up to Vega's launch. Personally I find the only off putting thing about Vega is the heat output but I am sensitive to (more grumpy with) heat.

Soldato
I thought the games that currently support HDR on console also supports the PC version?
Forza 7, bf1, destiny 2 too name some.[/QUOTthey don't yet support it on PC.

The Microsoft PC versions don't yet support it and I'm not sure how well those that do have implemented it.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Bad idea. HDR on PC does not even work properly as of yet. Plus there is still not a proper HDR monitor out yet.

The next monitor worth buying is something like the ROG SWIFT PG27UQ imo. I am giving that one a miss as in my opinion the monitors worth splashing serious cash on will be OLED ones. That is why I recently upgraded to 4K G-Sync at a somewhat decent price as it will see me through until we get OLED gaming monitors.

OLED when it comes will finally take gaming monitors to the next level. Just look at the quality of the colours and especially the blacks on the Dell OLED. Completely on another level to anything else.

ab1d78c3_20170417_222518_resized.jpeg

18c9150d_20170417_221828.jpeg

WP_20170417_14_45_13_Rich.jpg

Soldato
Bad idea. HDR on PC does not even work properly as of yet. Plus there is still not a proper HDR monitor out yet.

The next monitor worth buying is something like the ROG SWIFT PG27UQ imo. I am giving that one a miss as in my opinion the monitors worth splashing serious cash on will be OLED ones. That is why I recently upgraded to 4K G-Sync at a somewhat decent price as it will see me through until we get OLED gaming monitors.

OLED when it comes will finally take gaming monitors to the next level. Just look at the quality of the colours and especially the blacks on the Dell OLED. Completely on another level to anything else.

ab1d78c3_20170417_222518_resized.jpeg

18c9150d_20170417_221828.jpeg

WP_20170417_14_45_13_Rich.jpg

Wouldn't touch an Asus Swift with a barge pole.

Soldato
Wouldn't touch an Acer with a barge pole.

I know where jigger is coming from the current crop of monitors are such a lottery on whether you will get a good one or not why do you think the next releases will be any better ?

I dont get why people bang on about HDR as though its the next big thing for the PC its not all that. The HDR movies I have watched do add to the pq but I can live without it. Its not a necessity or a benefit to me. Its kind of nice to have if it just so happens to be included but its not something I would go out of my way to buy. Would rather get an OLED monitor that is perfect over an LED monitor with HDR. Its pish its pash.

Soldato
was thinking of selling my asus strix 1080ti and asus 27 inch gsync monitor, that will get me around £950ish

then buy a Radeon RX vega 64 and a quantum dot 34 inch samsung free sync monitor

the reason is so i can get the new samsungs freesync HDR monitors

i will have to add around 300ish on top but what do you guys think?

apparently in mid 2018 there will be gysnc monitors with HDR starting cost of £1500 and upwards

Wait for the Samsung GSync monitors later this year, to check the prices. If they charge the £670 Freesync monitor for £1000+ (C35HG75 for example) because of the gsync module, simply then is the time to sell everything, switch to AMD and forget that NV even exists.

And indeed, the pricing of Gsync monitors is stupid. Is far better purchase to buy an OLED TV for gaming.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Wouldn't touch an Acer with a barge pole.

I know where jigger is coming from the current crop of monitors are such a lottery on whether you will get a good one or not why do you think the next releases will be any better ?

I dont get why people bang on about HDR as though its the next big thing for the PC its not all that. The HDR movies I have watched do add to the pq but I can live without it. Its not a necessity or a benefit to me. Its kind of nice to have if it just so happens to be included but its not something I would go out of my way to buy. Would rather get an OLED monitor that is perfect over an LED monitor with HDR. Its pish its pash.
I am sure if I posted another company who will be using the same panel/tech to release a monitor someone else would be along to say they would not touch xxx with a barge poll :p

The point was the type of monitor, no idea why people fixating on the company as quite a few will release one eventually.

Caporegime
It all boils down to the user and what they feel is a downgrade. Sure 1080ti to vega is a downgrade in performance. But a better monitor is also an upgrade.
So it swings both ways, personally I wouldn't do the change and would wait for Next Gen GPUs by then they should also be more HDR monitors out for better competition.
At least you agree with me that it is a down grade. HDR is so new and bugger all out there supports it yet other than a couple of games, so trading in a 1080Ti for a Vega64 would be silly. Many other decent monitors coming that will do HDR wonderfully.

Soldato
True story though, the bigger the Resolution the less the gab between the Ti and Vega.

The biggest gab between the two is at 1080p with 1440p and above the gab becomes much less. Obviously this depends on game to game.

Still a sizeable gap though: https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1937?vs=1939 and thats a FE 1080Ti, a reasonable AIB one is about 5% faster than that.

Seems the 1080Ti is 20%+ faster in every test. It's the reason I returned my Vega 64 and bought a Ti as I got a 4k TV.

To OP if you need to upgrade the monitor I am assuming you mean higher res ie 4k in which case you would be upgrading the monitor and downgrading the graphics card. Can't see any reason to do it, just save for a new monitor with 4k and Gsync that is bigger, longer term it makes more sense.

Soldato
rather than lose money selling the 1080ti i would just spend the extra on a gsync monitor, it seems a bit of a false economy

^^^^ There aren't that many Gsync monitors around tho, compared to Freesync offerings.

With my Ti1080 I had very limited choice with a 4k 32" monitor to choose if I wanted Gysnc, one Acer XB321HK and that was it...! That monitor has twenty pages plus worth of reported issues on each one sold. It also only has HDMI 1.4, if you have a media device or console to connect then you have a problem. I also didn't like the style, putting aside its fault. I could not believe how I was trying to reconcile buying that monitor with its known fault just because there wasn't another 32" Gsync 4k that I could find.

I ended up with a BenQ PD3200U 32" Ultra HD, which does not have Gsync. But connectivity wise, and other qualities, it suited my needs better.

The price and range of choice for Gsync is bad, I don't bother much about FPS type of games and I haven't noticed tearing with the Benq. That is more of a reflection of the games I play I think but it would have been nice to have had a wider choice, especially without the big price hike.

I even held off before getting a Ti (and missed out on a cheap EVGA SC card at £600) to see what Vega offered, when it lunched tho I wasn't impressed enough to buy into that GPU. Perhaps considering the card and monitor as a complete package it could be different. I might not have given that enough consideration.

Back
Top Bottom