Selling high value item on ebay

Associate
As in, I've had it happen to me before. So I just withdrew the money from my PayPal account and allowed PayPal to put it into negative balance.

It's nearly impossible for PayPal to recover the money from you, as they can't put you in debt based on a decision they've made without your concent.
You gave your consent when you agreed to the terms of service. It wouldn't be difficult for PayPal to recover the money from you if they wanted to, they would just pass over your account to a debt collection agency. Maybe for small amounts they won't bother but I wouldn't rely on that.

Soldato
You gave your consent when you agreed to the terms of service. It wouldn't be difficult for PayPal to recover the money from you if they wanted to, they would just pass over your account to a debt collection agency. Maybe for small amounts they won't bother but I wouldn't rely on that.
This isn't true. Of course they can hand it over to a debt collection agency, but that doesn't lend any more legitimacy to their requests.

They obviously can also try to take legal action, but PayPal operates in a very dubious legal position when it comes to them choosing to refund someone. That's their choice to make, and there's no reason why you'd actually owe them the money. Terms and conditions are irrelevant.

It's why it doesn't go to court unless PayPal can prove you've actually tried to scam someone, and because it isn't a credit agreement of any kind, they can't try to go down that route.

It's almost ridiculously easy to ditch a PayPal account.

Soldato
Anything over £100 I will make sure is insured on shipping. Usually costs an extra £5-10 but to me is a no brainer.

I have never had any return issues, on one sale it went to a buyer using argos click and collect and I got nervous, but luckily was ok although I now block argos as an option for future sales.

Soldato
Is there anything I need to do beyond sending it insured, correct customs forms and tracked. I don't want them to claim its incorrect or switch items again and make off with my money, which I can't chase as they're in the states.

I'd have said block overseas bidders but its a bit late for that so...

keep them updated as much as possible be polite friendly as they'll probably get itchy over the time it takes to arrive where has it got too etc. Keep them reassured that you've not sold them a pup.

It is tracked right?

Permabanned
OP
Haha yeah it's all sent now. More fool me.

To answer people's curiosity, it was some rare pokemon cards, which is why I used that example previously.

Just scared they'll say it doesn't match and swap or some nonsense

Caporegime

To answer people's curiosity, it was some rare pokemon cards, which is why I used that example previously.

Some times a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

Why risk losing a couple of grand trying to get £2500 when you could sell locally for cash and have protection.

If you were insuring them using the third party insurer linked. Some of their conditions are you take pictures or videos of you packaging the item and parceling it up, etc. I don't know how they could prove that you didn't unwrap it afterwards and then make a similar parcel with playing cards in it instead and make an insurance claim but obviously you would only get away with that once or twice before they rejected insuring you.

I hope you at least have covered the basics such as this. I would have also wanted photo ID of the buyer an unusual request but it's a large ticket item.

Soldato
This is why things that are worth £1000s of pounds sometimes aren't worth £1000s of pounds.

Uncertainty and red tape. Get used to it boys.

Soldato

Wow, you sold that on ebay.

I don't understand why you couldn't have got something more safely via a dealer.

edit:

Although saying that the market on ebay for these is quite large. Still selling something like this for £2500 on ebay would scare me. The problem with ebay is that buyers can always return something and something like this would be easy to switch out or partially return.

Last edited:
Soldato

Clear your PayPal account out, unlink any bank accounts, and remove any card details you've got on that account until you're in the clear that the person isn't going to try and scam you.

If they do try it on, you're making sure it's PayPal that gets scammed and not you.

Soldato
Clear your PayPal account out, unlink any bank accounts, and remove any card details you've got on that account until you're in the clear that the person isn't going to try and scam you.

If they do try it on, you're making sure it's PayPal that gets scammed and not you.
Just wondering are you a solicitor, financial advisor etc. What professional background do you have to give someone this advice? Can you guarantee this will have no future repercussions?

Soldato
Just wondering are you a solicitor, financial advisor etc. What professional background do you have to give someone this advice? Can you guarantee this will have no future repercussions?
Having had to do it more than enough times over the years, I'm speaking from experience. The way PayPal conducts its investigations and the resolutions it provided would not hold up in a court.

It's also a significantly better to be in the position where PayPal claims you owe them money than PayPal just take it from you, you be out of pocket and have to try to prove that PayPal's actions were unjust, or even illegal.

This is how PayPal should deal with the way they refund people, but they don't. Because they know it's much easier if they just take the money back and make you jump through hoops.

Associate

Unlinking bank accounts and credit cards won't make a difference. PayPal can't just take money from your linked bank account or credit card without your permission, that would be highly illegal.

Clearing out the account quickly isn't going to solve anything either. If the buyer scams them after they've moved the money then they will have a negative balance, and they will need to repay it just like any other debt. If they refuse to pay then they will send debt collectors after them, and while they don't have any legal rights they aren't exactly well known for following the rules. At the very least it's going to be a major headache. If the debt collection agency fails then PayPal can take them to court to enforce it.

Soldato
Having had to do it more than enough times over the years, I'm speaking from experience. The way PayPal conducts its investigations and the resolutions it provided would not hold up in a court.

It's also a significantly better to be in the position where PayPal claims you owe them money than PayPal just take it from you, you be out of pocket and have to try to prove that PayPal's actions were unjust, or even illegal.

This is how PayPal should deal with the way they refund people, but they don't. Because they know it's much easier if they just take the money back and make you jump through hoops.

You did not answer what I asked :confused:

I have gone against PayPal (hacked account) but through the Financial Ombudsman Service as last resort after months of rejection from PayPal. It went to mediation and they offered a one-time payment and believe me after phone calls with the FO I believe this is a rare occurrence. Dont believe me I will quite happily post the redacted emails.

Last edited:
Associate
He can't guarantee there will be no future repercussions. They will definitely send debt collectors for a substantial amount, and if they take it to court then PayPal will win because you agreed to their terms and conditions. His position is that it's better to have the money in your account, make PayPal chase you and hope they don't take it to court.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdvic...aypal_calls_over_negative_balance_from_buyer/

Last edited:
Soldato
Unlinking bank accounts and credit cards won't make a difference. PayPal can't just take money from your linked bank account or credit card without your permission, that would be highly illegal.

Clearing out the account quickly isn't going to solve anything either. If the buyer scams them after they've moved the money then they will have a negative balance, and they will need to repay it just like any other debt. If they refuse to pay then they will send debt collectors after them, and while they don't have any legal rights they aren't exactly well known for following the rules. At the very least it's going to be a major headache. If the debt collection agency fails then PayPal can take them to court to enforce it.

As I said, I'm speaking from experience. I've had to ditch a few PayPal accounts over the years over this sort of thing. For not insignificant amounts of money either.

From experience, they will send the sums to a debt collection agency, but the debt collection agency has little to no power to collect. You have no credit agreement, and agreed terms and conditions don't supercede law.

They absolutely do attempt to take money from your bank account in such a situation as well. It's why they insist so much that you set up a direct debit with them, it entitles them to make deposits and withdrawals as your account "needs." So when they put your account into negative balance, a direct debit attempt is made as an account top up to cover "needed" funds.

You take your bank card off the account as well just in case you need to pay for something with your card via PayPal. They won't process your card if it's currently attached to an account with a negative balance.

I have gone against PayPal (hacked account) but through the Financial Ombudsman Service as last resort after months of rejection from PayPal. It went to mediation and they offered a one-time payment and believe me after phone calls with the FO I believe this is a rare occurrence. Dont believe me I will quite happily post the redacted emails.

I did answer your question. My point, as I said before, is that if they do have grounds to make some sort of claim, you're still better off having the money they're disputing, rather than them having it and you being at their mercy.

Getting money out of PayPal is very hard, bjt fortunately it works the same the opposite way around.

That's likely why your experience differs, they had the money and you were trying to resolve it that way. I've had this happen enough times to know that PayPal doesn't do anything but sell it on to a toothless debt collection agency after a short while.

He can't guarantee there will be no future repercussions. They will definitely send debt collectors for a substantial amount, and if they take it to court then PayPal will win because you agreed to their terms and conditions. His position is that it's better to have the money in your account, make PayPal chase you and hope they don't take it to court.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LegalAdvic...aypal_calls_over_negative_balance_from_buyer/

I never said I guaranteed anything, obviously if you were to intentionally scam PayPal, they'd have recourse. But that isn't the point I'm making. It's extremely difficult for PayPal to actually recover funds once you've withdrawn them from your account, and unlinked your bank account.

I'm also not sure what you think that Reddit link proves. It's just people giving their opinions.

When it comes to pay, if it's not related to a credit agreement (PayPal credit) there's genuinely little they can do to recover money short of suing you, which 99% of the time isn't financially viable for them to do, and even then it's highly unlikely they would unless they thought they had a good case to prove you were scamming them or customers as seller.

Pet Northerner
Don

I’ve sold magic the gathering cards worldwide and the only country that gave me issue was Italy. Fool me for not sending insured, made me change my shipping stance on overseas.

Permabanned
OP
For those who suggested sell locally, that was my first action, however after barely any genuine interest or attractive offers I used ebay as a last resort.

The money has been withdrawn now. I've calculated thst I've probably sold £19000 worth of goods on my account over the years with this included and only had 1 issue, whether that helps me I doubt it due to what seems a generic and automated system people can fool around with.

Permabanned
PayPal and eBay don’t give a flying hoot who they side with. They flip a coin to see who to side with.

Ebay and PayPal are a joke. You would have been best trying to sell UK only. That probably doesn’t stop you from been scammed but at least it would have been local and someone could have paid a visit to that address.

Back
Top Bottom