Sennheiser gsx 1000 thread?

Associate
I'm really bad at english (french frog here) and I thought you were alerting about a noise issue related to having an amp plugged in the GSX.

My setup is this:
- onboard audio with DAC + preamp outputs
- O2 amp
- T50RP

If there's no risk to have this kind of noise in my headphone while pluggin the GSX between the mobo and the amp I'll just buy it (when price drop a little).

Soldato
OP
I'm really bad at english (french frog here) and I thought you were alerting about a noise issue related to having an amp plugged in the GSX.

My setup is this:
- onboard audio with DAC + preamp outputs
- O2 amp
- T50RP

If there's no risk to have this kind of noise in my headphone while pluggin the GSX between the mobo and the amp I'll just buy it (when price drop a little).

Sadly I can't say it won't :( am not sure if the noise is a fault with soundblaster z or an effect if double amping..

Man of Honour
Video for you guys :D not something I found easy doing tbh talking down a mic to yourself is harder then it seems. I tried my best though to explain everything and showcase the unit.

e-sport mode is actually pretty good - sure you lose some bass and there is a bit of reverb creeping in so wouldn't want to use it for immersive single player but it really picked all the sounds out and seemed to have much better positional cues to my ears - I could spatially place almost every single sound while in the other modes only about half had really defined positions.

Soldato
OP
e-sport mode is actually pretty good - sure you lose some bass and there is a bit of reverb creeping in so wouldn't want to use it for immersive single player but it really picked all the sounds out and seemed to have much better positional cues to my ears - I could spatially place almost every single sound while in the other modes only about half had really defined positions.

Yeah I also find it more easy to hear the sound source but the lack of detail really puts me off. I would rather use reverb setting with story mode.
7.1 story mode is my favourite atm everything else off for me I can still hear so much around me.
This is what's great about the GSX you have a lot to play with so everyone will have there own setting what they think is best :D

Still think £200 is over prices though should have been max 130 but there again they have the right to charge a premium for me nothing else that I have owned or tested comes close to it.

Associate
Hello again shankly1985,

I want to thank you for your video review, it was very helpful.

I think I will find that reverb effect handy when listening to long lectures on youtube (that hall effect should make voices seem more roomy and less sharp/irritating to listen to). Though the 7.1 surround mode by itself may be enough to achieve that effect without distortion. Watching movies with the GSX should be very immersive...

Though I was wondering how the music mode on the GSX sounded like? If it would be possible to do a quick video on it, I think that would cover everything with the GSX.

I'm hoping I can use my GSX for all my headphones needs, but if the music mode is lacking, I might have to keep switching to the soundblaster every time I want to listen to music... I usually up the bass response on the EQ because I find the standard/flat/Non-EQ setting on the soundblaster to be too dull and lacking, so I worry I might feel the same way with the GSX...

But perhaps the music mode or even story mode settings can remedy this?

Soldato
OP
Hello again shankly1985,

I want to thank you for your video review, it was very helpful.

I think I will find that reverb effect handy when listening to long lectures on youtube (that hall effect should make voices seem more roomy and less sharp/irritating to listen to). Though the 7.1 surround mode by itself may be enough to achieve that effect without distortion. Watching movies with the GSX should be very immersive...

Though I was wondering how the music mode on the GSX sounded like? If it would be possible to do a quick video on it, I think that would cover everything with the GSX.

I'm hoping I can use my GSX for all my headphones needs, but if the music mode is lacking, I might have to keep switching to the soundblaster every time I want to listen to music... I usually up the bass response on the EQ because I find the standard/flat/Non-EQ setting on the soundblaster to be too dull and lacking, so I worry I might feel the same way with the GSX...

But perhaps the music mode or even story mode settings can remedy this?

Hello
I can do something for you Sunday day time. Would you like me to just maybe record some music and change some settings on the fly for you?
If so what sort of music?

Associate
Hello
I can do something for you Sunday day time. Would you like me to just maybe record some music and change some settings on the fly for you?
If so what sort of music?

Yes that would perfect.

I would like to hear the difference between the 'music' and 'story' equaliser (and also 'off' for reference).

Also switch to 7.1 mode just so I could hear what effect it has on the stereo sound.

So like this: 'Off' > 'Music' > 'Story' > and 7.1 (all other effects should be off/neutral of course).

I'm mostly looking to see how the bass will be affected so if you have a good track in mind feel free to use it, if not, just pick one of the following (each of these tracks have excellent + consistent bass response):

EDIT: on second thought, to make things simpler, you could just loop the following track in each EQ mode (it's 1 min long):

Soldato
OP
Looped the bottom video for you
Start 2.0 - 0ff - Music - Story - 7.1 - off - Music - Story
and then for a laugh Esports 7.1

Sorry for the noise again sadly I wish I knew how to stop this. Some good news though I don't think its because of double amping, if I leave the 3.5 cable plugged into the Sound blasterZ Line-in port and not connected to the GSX I can see the level still moving on OBS meaning its still creating that noise.

Seems my issue is the SBz

Man of Honour
Is it a line in or mic input? mic input will often pickup stray RF with the lead acting something like an antenna. Also possible its some grounding or interference issue with the PC electronics, etc.

Soldato
OP
Is it a line in or mic input? mic input will often pickup stray RF with the lead acting something like an antenna. Also possible its some grounding or interference issue with the PC electronics, etc.

It's a 3.5 port that acts as both line in and mic input. Within the Soundblaster Z you choose if you want line in or mic for that port.
I believe you correct here, the cable am using is a Fisual S-Flex cable

Associate
Amazing... Thank you for taking the time to post that up shankly. I hope it helps out others too.

There is definitely a bass boost with both the 'Music' & 'Story' equalisers, that's essentially what I was hoping to hear. I do notice a very slight difference between these two equalisers, but they sound so similar with that track it's difficult for me to describe what the differences are... Perhaps the Story EQ works better with 7.1? (I get a hint that it's going for more of a cinematic/lively soundstage)

The 7.1 muffles out the stereo sound just like the DSS. Again, this is a great feature for soothing out voices when listening to long podcasts/lectures etc.

And that Esports mode is just bad...

If they gave us the option to play around with a custom EQ that would have been perfect imo. I've decided to get one anyhow, and if anyone's interested, I'll let you guys know of what the differences are with the original Earforce DSS.

Thanks again shankly, it's much appreciated. :)

Soldato
Keep losing sound in BF1, think it may be a BF1 problem and not the GSX1000 as spotify and regular windows sounds play fine but I get no sound in game. Starting to do my head in :(

Associate
I haven't got a Sennheiser and I lost sound whilst playing Battlefield 1, restarted the game and it was fine. I wouldn't blame the GSX yet...

Back
Top Bottom